Wrong Name Right Address

I may have said about this before, for well over a year we have recieved letters regarding non payment of fares for Transport for London,ie buses or underground.Lots of letters from us, phone calls etc.The last of which almost three mouths ago.Thought this was sorted.Came home yesterday to see letter, saying if we did not pay the outstanding amount, nearly £800.They would take goods to cover the cost.After a few attempts sake  to the woman named.Just keeping my temper, saying this person had never lived here.As agreed with  us she we call tomorrow and confirm that this low life has never lived here.I am sure this press lives in the street and used our number.My guess is the fine at the time was about £20,now standing at almost £800.I would be more then happy to give the powers that be the right address if I knew!.

Not only is this low life not paying his bills he wants us to!I hope he gets caught.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

19 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I may have said about this before, for well over a year we have recieved letters regarding non payment of fares for Transport for London,ie buses or underground.Lots of letters from us, phone calls etc.The last of which almost three mouths ago.Thought this was sorted.Came home yesterday to see letter, saying if we did not pay the outstanding amount, nearly £800.They would take goods to cover the cost.After a few attempts sake  to the woman named.Just keeping my temper, saying this person had never lived here.As agreed with  us she we call tomorrow and confirm that this low life has never lived here.I am sure this press lives in the street and used our number.My guess is the fine at the time was about £20,now standing at almost £800.I would be more then happy to give the powers that be the right address if I knew!.

Not only is this low life not paying his bills he wants us to!I hope he gets caught.

Ian

You have my sympathy ...... It shouldn't be neccessary for you to prove the p**t doesn't live  at your address but for them to prove it does. I'm not sure they have any right to enter your premises to check!

Sadly people don't take responsibility for sorting their own mistakes and be careful that they havn't put you on any debtor blacklists.

If the individual has somehow got your address registered as his place of residence on the electoral roll then a high court bailiff has right of entry to your address (but not to force it , they can enter through an unlocked door or window) it may be a good idea to check online to see if he has .

I once had a car cloned. It was the early 80's and I lived in Lowestoft whereas the duplicate car was somewhere around Southampton. I had probably 20 speeding tickets, enough parking tickets to wallpaper the loo and a failure to display a valid tax disc summons over the time. Anyway, the police had been and examined my car at my request to satisfy themselves it was the right one etc and to compare the gatso images which showed (luckily) enough differences to prove it was not my car involved.

It got so bad that Southampton local council used to issue the ticket and the apology letter in the same envelope!

I was advised to not use my car in the Southampton area though as they were on the look out for the clone and I would just muddy the waters

Then it suddenly stopped. No idea whether they were caught, swapped the car for something else or whatever, was never told.

Well the lady came round and checked our passports.Going back we know low life was caught without a ticket or pass.Was asked for id, he gave a NI number and our address.Low life was born in 1998 he said.We told the lady there seems to be perhaps two houses in the street that fits the bill on someone of that age.We were told that this should be the end of the matter.She said sadly this is fairly common.Now if it does happen again,I WILL TAKE SOME KIND OF LEGAL ACTION. 

1 hour ago, JanetAnne said:

I once had a car cloned. It was the early 80's and I lived in Lowestoft whereas the duplicate car was somewhere around Southampton. I had probably 20 speeding tickets, enough parking tickets to wallpaper the loo and a failure to display a valid tax disc summons over the time. Anyway, the police had been and examined my car at my request to satisfy themselves it was the right one etc and to compare the gatso images which showed (luckily) enough differences to prove it was not my car involved.

It got so bad that Southampton local council used to issue the ticket and the apology letter in the same envelope!

I was advised to not use my car in the Southampton area though as they were on the look out for the clone and I would just muddy the waters

Then it suddenly stopped. No idea whether they were caught, swapped the car for something else or whatever, was never told.

This happened to a mate of mine, only difference was the bloke who did it lived in the same town and regularly used a particular car park at a particular time(as proved by the parking fines my mate recieved). Naturally it was reported to the police and dvla but even after providing them with an address the car seemed to be at regularly, nothing was done for months.

So eventually a little visit was paid and my mate gained a spare set of plates for his car (no violence, just a cosy chat).

I bet theres a hell of a lot more of this sort of thing going on than most would realise and I wonder how many victims just dont even realise whats going on.

Well at the moment our car is cloned in Surrey keeps speeding in a 20mph area. The met police are slow in doing any thing, DVLA I had to send photo copies of log book mot and ins by royal mail and proof at to where i was for each ticket. Dartford crossing was easy  done in less than 24 hours via a little sticker I had to stick on our car.

This is still on going for last 6 or 7 weeks now

Pops I think you should go citizens advise really, I think you need to prove that she doesn't live there, Have you reported this to the police as a stolen identity? That may do as proof to start as then you can clearly give them that reference.. but don't just ignore it...

I had a similar occurrence years ago, some pond life used our address for loans / goods etc that he never paid off.  The issue was caused by those companies that supply marketing lists.  They just took his word without checking.  Took me ages and many angry phone calls / letters to sort it out.  What did it in the finish was me threatening to invoice the marketing companies through the small claims court for every time I had to contact them

Griff

And slightly off tangent.  After my Dad died I got many threatening letters from the TV licensing department threatening to take him to court for not having a license (Even though he was entitled to a free one) Since I inherited the property and it was empty they were going to take me to court instead.   No end of explaining from me including sending the idiots a copy of the death certificate would stop them.  What did stop them in the finish was me agreeing to meet them in court.  At last someone with more than one brain cell at the tv department thought , hang on there is something not right here as Mr Griffin now wants to meet us in court and it stopped.  It took about 9 x months though

Griff

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JawsOrca said:

Pops I think you should go citizens advise really, I think you need to prove that she doesn't live there, Have you reported this to the police as a stolen identity? That may do as proof to start as then you can clearly give them that reference.. but don't just ignore it...

It's a man born in 1998,he gave a NI number but no other form of Id or payment.He fits the description of one or two families in the street. I am certain he just picked on our number.At this stage think it's the end of the matter.They will check his NI number to find his correct address.If it does continue I will take legal action,but Taking to the lady last am certain it's the end of the matter

It's sad how many tales like this you hear. The number of experiences recounted by members from what amounts to a random group of people widely spread geographically, shows that it probably happens more than one might think.

A London borough somehow got our address linked to the wrong person and we did have the bailiffs on the doorstep ... no-one was in and fortunately they didn't force entry. Got it sorted out eventually.

A friend of mine also had someone claim that his car had been involved in an accident with them. It took him lots of time and legal process, including having to get evidence from work of what he was doing that day, before it was eventually dropped. But it put no end of stress on him for well over a year.

When we lived in Doncaster. My brother used to do a car share to work at Thorpe marsh. His mate had bought a brand new mini and on the second morning they were following a Morris 1100. His mate said I recognise that number.

The 1100 also pulled into Thorpe Marsh power station and they parked next to each other. Sure enough both cars had the same plates. The1100 had only been picked up the day before.

That was a cock up by the garage. But what a coincidence

We got a visit from the police, they were looking at me very suspiciously...

They were looking for SWMBOs EX, we had moved twice, and She had not seen him for over 5 years. it shows what the poilice can do when they want to track people down.. even when they get it wrong..

There was a case when they, the police, were looking for violent criminals, they raided a house by smashing down the doors of a pensioner couple.. How did they get the wrong house? they had looked at ANPR /Speeding cameras on the route that the criminals were known to use on certain days, and the pensioners had used the same route -ish..

I made an honest mistake a few years ago which has only just come to my attention. When I changed the address on my driving license, the post code from the old to the new was just one character different. I accidently gave the old one for the new one (Prat)..

Result,? If anyone uses my licence to obtain my address and uses the Post-code + house number, it comes up as a completely different place my new house number but on my old road. People at that address might well have been getting mail for me though we never met.

I wonder if this is the case with Ian's problem. if so the person involved would have no idea what is occurring.

we once had the police call round, apparently they were looking for a skinny man and a skinny woman, who were using our name and renting a housing association house from the council, they called round because it appeared we had two houses from the council. 

It transpired that someone at the housing association was pulling a scam, taking names from the housing list, and allocating the houses to the names, then privately renting the houses out to people who were paying extra just to get the house, needless to say, as soon as the policemen saw me and the missus, they were convinced we werent these other tenants, and as we had proof of identity  nothing more came of it at our end.

• Haha 1