Acle Visitor Centre Winner

Minifer

Might make it easier to get the rig down if the Wind is strong though, can't see from the images, But I'm supposing there will be footpath  /  walkway / moorings  between the river and the building or there will be a significant loss of moorings..

13 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Might make it easier to get the rig down if the Wind is strong though, can't see from the images, But I'm supposing there will be footpath  /  walkway / moorings  between the river and the building or there will be a significant loss of moorings..

It did look like there would be quite a loss of mooring space on other pictures I've seen, but I hope that is something the BA would tweak.    What gets built could still be substantially different seeing as they don't have the funding for it yet.

1 minute ago, grendel said:

does a loss of moorings make them lessings?

no, a loss of moorings makes them "normals"

16 minutes ago, TheQ said:

from the images that were posted elsewhere it would not appear that there will be moorings  between it and the river, it looks to sit right on the river edge. Time will tell i suppose.

1 minute ago, Minifer said:

It did look like there would be quite a loss of mooring space on other pictures I've seen, but I hope that is something the BA would tweak.    What gets built could still be substantially different seeing as they don't have the funding for it yet.

They're waiting for Mr Waller's tolls .......

23 minutes ago, Islander said:

Be interesting to see the planning application for this.

Colin :default_beerchug:

I wonder if the highways agency has been consulted yet? Looking at satellite pictures of the area that plot is the smallest of the four plots surrounding the bridge and has the smallest car park. Wouldn't think it safe, nor the car park big enough for coaches to turn in and out. If I was looking at that location as a business opportunity I would have consulted the HA first before doing much else. I suspect the HA response will make it a non starter.

• Like 1

It may be that they don't want moorings opposite the building with all that glass a sailboats boom could swing over and hit the window,or they are aware and build it back from the bank leaving a path and moorings and room for swinging booms to not contact the windows,we shall have to wait and see,John

4 minutes ago, annv said:

It may be that they don't want moorings opposite the building with all that glass a sailboats boom could swing over and hit the window,or they are aware and build it back from the bank leaving a path and moorings and room for swinging booms to not contact the windows,we shall have to wait and see,John

Good point ...... also it wouldn't be very good for road visitors to have the river view obscured by ugly plastic topped vessels.

Maybe, booked only reserved mooring for wherries or similar classics that would actually enhanse the visitor experience.

4 minutes ago, smellyloo said:

Good point ...... also it wouldn't be very good for road visitors to have the river view obscured by ugly plastic topped vessels.

Maybe, booked only reserved mooring for wherries or similar classics that would actually enhanse the visitor experience.

The BA has a policy against reserving moorings see the link below. I believe it was also an issue at this very location for the 3RR.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/popular-norfolk-broads-event-offering-short-sailing-trips-cancelled-after-policy-changes-1-5621780

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

The BA has a policy against reserving moorings see the link below. I believe it was also an issue at this very location for the 3RR.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/popular-norfolk-broads-event-offering-short-sailing-trips-cancelled-after-policy-changes-1-5621780

Yes I heard about this on the wireless yesterday. 

I think they (BA) need to rethink this policy as a trip on an iconic boat is a major tourist attraction and reserving a safe spot for passengers to elite is essential.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

I suspect the HA response will make it a non starter.

It didn't, in the case of another application in that area just recently although I understand there was a strong objection from them.

By the way, the speed limit on that Trunk Road is indeed 60MPH. I drove past there in May and there is no red circle around the 30MPH sign. It is purely advisory. The legal limit is 60, over Acle Bridge!

12 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

It's an unremarkable design, but hopefully if it is built then it will at least be used like the conservation centre at Ranworth is and presumably in its day that was controversial too?

It was not controversial at the time. I remember a lot of local support for it and I was there on the day it was opened - by the Queen. The bank and dredging works which were necessary, resulted in the salvage and restoration of the trading wherry "Maud".

It did not survive, however, as a BA visitor centre and is now run (when it is open) by a wildlife trust. In other words, as planned, it was a white elephant. Can lessons not be learned about this, by the same authority that built the first one?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, smellyloo said:

Yes I heard about this on the wireless yesterday. 

I think they (BA) need to rethink this policy as a trip on an iconic boat is a major tourist attraction and reserving a safe spot for passengers to elite is essential.

My guess is, and its only a guess, that if the BA owned and operated the boat, it would be ok to use a part of a BA 24hr mooring to operate it from. The problem arises when the boat in question is owned by a charity or commercial operation. Who then decides which ones are worthy? Add in the number of school parties that sail the Broads that may want to reserve moorings, then there is regattas such as the 3RR. I could make a case for any of those to be able to reserve a mooring, but likewise I'm sure there's as many who could make a case against such use. Remember the uproar over the BA 24 hr mooring South of the Beccles road bridge. What we have there now is an absolute waste of signage and a mooring split into three.

The one thing that does surprised me is that the BA haven't received a part of the Acle mooring for de masting! or maybe that is yet to come!

6 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Can lessons not be learned about this, by the same authority that built the first one?

Actually in fairness - and before Marshman jumps in - that must have been built before the BA was officially in place. All the same, it has still turned out to be a white elephant!

40 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

It's an unremarkable design, but hopefully if it is built then it will at least be used like the conservation centre at Ranworth is and presumably in its day that was controversial too?

Yes, I know many want a building to blend into the surroundings (hense the proliferation of bland designs) but a visitor centre has to attract visitors, not just because it's in a nice place but because people want to see the structure ........... nearly all the iconic visitor attractions in England were greeted with uproar but over time have become successful visitor attractions ..... "angel of the North" to name but one ...... it definately doesn't blend into the countryside but then that's the point.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

It didn't, in the case of another application in that area just recently although I understand there was a strong objection from them.

By the way, the speed limit on that Trunk Road is indeed 60MPH. I drove past there in May and there is no red circle around the 30MPH sign. It is purely advisory. The legal limit is 60, over Acle Bridge!

It is interesting that a very strong objection, in support of the HA for that application was from one of the two candidates for the role of chair person! Now should she be elected today, that puts the whole project in an interesting position!

Actually having re read that objection there were some very strong opinions and words used.

"Please do not underestimate how dangerous this road really is."

• Like 2