I Hate.....

Poppy

On 27/07/2018 at 13:25, Poppy said:

It's not natural evolution, it's nonsense perpetrated by Essex Man.

Having just caught up with this thread I agree with a lot of the grammatical points raised. But as someone who has now lived in Essex for many years, married to an Essex man and with an Essex family, I never find this funny. 

One could, if one felt so inclined, liken it to many other forms of generalisation that are unfounded and can cause offence. 

3 hours ago, VetChugger said:

The fact of the matter is we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water!

Why not? it'll compost down fairly quickly.  :)

But yes, some of the "buzz phrases" can get on my nerves...

Out of the box thinking (aka "we want to re-invent the wheel)

Leading edge technology (aka "tried and tested is sooo yesterday)

We need to embrace this  (aka "Well I like it")

When all's said and done ( I'm going to add something else)

On 28/07/2018 at 08:02, MauriceMynah said:

Text speech (sic) is another I dislike. It made perfect sense in the days of SMS (Short message system), things like "L8er" were quite clever in their own way, but have no place on any other form of communication.

Couldn’t agree more , I find it infuriating when I receive an sms and they insist on using “text speech” , if you type tnx into a modern smart phone you are given the option of using thank you so why not simply use the correct English ?

The same is true for offering such as L8r , it will give the correct word ,later, as an option.

I also dislike greatly when someone I don’t know insists on calling me mate , I have no wish to procreate with them so I am not their mate !

If however someone I don’t know calls me a grumpy old sod then that’s fair enough .

7 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Couldn’t agree more , I find it infuriating when I receive an sms and they insist on using “text speech” , if you type tnx into a modern smart phone you are given the option of using thank you so why not simply use the correct English ?

The same is true for offering such as L8r , it will give the correct word ,later, as an option.

I also dislike greatly when someone I don’t know insists on calling me mate , I have no wish to procreate with them so I am not their mate !

If however someone I don’t know calls me a grumpy old sod then that’s fair enough .

CamberidgeCabby me ole mate, you're starting to come across as a real grumpy old sod! :default_rofl::default_beerchug:

• Haha 2

Hearing youngsters saying "O..M..G"  I'm not sure if I hate that more or less than hearing them actually use "Oh my God". Either is made more irritating as they emphasise each word or letter.. 

As I have my own set of beliefs, I try when posting, not to use blasphemous language. Oddly, sometimes it can be tricky. Oh for Heavens sake I hear my self think, Heels teeth there must be another way of saying this. Suddenly all the phrases I think of are to some level blaspheming. Now I write about it I can't think of any of them.  

Oh and one more thing, and I got myself into deep water on another forum for saying this...

There are some people (not on this forum that I've noticed) who's writing, spelling, punctuation and grammar are, on many of their posts, so bad that such posts are next to impossible to read. There have been occasions when this has been pointed out to them. (not by me I hasten to add) What really riles me is they claim they are dyslexic. BALLS !  they are not. they just take no care when writing, spend no effort on their posts, and seem to have no pride in how they come across.

I could forgive this completely if their problem were lack of education, mine isn't brilliant, but no, it's sloth!

I don't object to the idleness itself, but to claim it to be a genuine disability I find unacceptable.

Yet another rant over. :)

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Heels teeth there must be another way of saying this. 

O.M.G Maurice, I rily tink you're had fond anuther way for saying it alreily. I loike the ironing in it. :default_beerchug:

Forgave the spilling, I'm having me dysplexic day! :default_dunce:

Think it has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but since when did we stop using the words 'going to' in a sentence and replaced them with 'gonna' ? - even news presenters say this now and it really does infuriate me.... just so lazy in my opinion.

• Like 1

O.M.G. Y as it tuck me dis long to sea dis fred?  Eye am gonna av so mutch fun reedin frew dis.

U may has well infrackt me nah mods, its  gonna bee two temptin t old bak 

Brap Brap bruv's n sista's, sea u soon peeps 

I always enjoyed some of the graffiti which was scratched on the back of toilet doors, such as at Liverpool Street station.

One of them said : I LOVE GRILS

Someone had crossed this out and written : GIRLS

So someone, underneath, wrote : So what's the matter with us GRILS then?

Do you remember the football hooligan habit of writing "MAN UTD RULE OK" all over the place? I once saw one that said "DYSLEXICS RULE KO".

4 hours ago, Jayfire said:

O.M.G. Y as it tuck me dis long to sea dis fred?  Eye am gonna av so mutch fun reedin frew dis.

U may has well infrackt me nah mods, its  gonna bee two temptin t old bak 

Brap Brap bruv's n sista's, sea u soon peeps 

I bet it took you ages to put that post together!!

52 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I bet it took you ages to put that post together!!

I bet it took you much longer to read it than it took me to put it together.

Unfortunately once you finished reading it, you realised you wished you hadn't wasted all your time reading it in the first place.

It's still better than anything I wrote in school though :default_smiley-angelic002: