I Hate.....

Poppy

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 11:35, SwanR said:

Having just caught up with this thread I agree with a lot of the grammatical points raised. But as someone who has now lived in Essex for many years, married to an Essex man and with an Essex family, I never find this funny. 

One could, if one felt so inclined, liken it to many other forms of generalisation that are unfounded and can cause offence. 

I do feel sorry for you as 'TOWIE" really didn't do any favours for you in the IQ department.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

You say " Honestly Dr, It's not brain surgery!

So here I am with a Solid Fuel Rocket Booster in one hand and a packet of Teflon coated O rings in the other and I have to say .."Honestly Dr. it's not brain surgery"...he'll think I'm a loon...especially if he's not a Doctor.

I’m less hung up on language and its rules than I used to be. Like Polly I do ‘tut’ at some ‘sloppy’ language, though I try not to. 

For a start, I must admit that when I first went to Uni I was a bit perplexed that English friends didn’t understand some terms that I used...e.g. it took a bit of reflection to realise that when I used the term ‘to fetch messages’ (when I meant I was going shopping) resulted from a translation of the Welsh phrase, where the word for shopping and message is the same, passing into the colloquial English of Anglesey. A lot of people would say that was just incorrect English, but with the English language becoming the spoken language of so many societies across the world I guess it’s natural that variations will creep in. 

Language evolves.  David Chrystal (famous linguist) has done some really interesting work.  He and his son Ben have done some YouTube vids (some with the Open University) on original pronunciation of Shakespeare’s works which I find really interesting.

On 29/07/2018 at 11:35, SwanR said:

Having just caught up with this thread I agree with a lot of the grammatical points raised. But as someone who has now lived in Essex for many years, married to an Essex man and with an Essex family, I never find this funny. 

One could, if one felt so inclined, liken it to many other forms of generalisation that are unfounded and can cause offence. 

Well, for what it's worth I was born in sawbridgeworth and lived for over fourty years in..... 'arlow new tarn, before escaping to Norfolk thirty years ago.

13 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

How long were you in Sawbo  Pops?

About a week or ten days. I can't remember :default_biggrin:  I was born in what became the Market House restaurant when it was the Naresborough Nursing Home.

I think it was Ronald Reagan who came out with the classic: 'It's not rocket surgery.'

In the days when vinyl records were not trendy, just the main source of recorded music, collections of two or more were often sold, literally and grammatically, as Boxed Sets. I don't see why metaphorical digital sets these days can't be 'boxed' as well. I suspect it's a case of people jumping on the bandwagon without being able to play the instruments.