Reedham Ferry

NorfolkNog

8 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

Just remember that if you do make a mistake, remove any flags (certainly NBN ones),  put something over the boat names and numbers!

Very wise. Also hide the faces of any fore-peak floozies that you have onboard, just in case the wife sees them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Ray said:

I'm not sure if I've been here long enough to intervene Vaughan but I fear you may have misinterpreted the post by Kingfisher666

I read it to mean that there would have been even more unjustified criticism on social media if it had been a hire craft.

Vaughan, I must admit I read as the same as Ray her.  Kingfisher was stating that the trial would be a lot worse if the unfortunate helms where on a hireboat.. certainly as most of the disgusting posts on the social groups are brutal enough as it's a owner helmsmen. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Are there such people?

Apparently none are considered to be arrogant when we are called upon in snow,  ice and floods. We are the best thing since sliced bread (available from you local 4x4 owner free of charge together with milk,  percription collection and taking nurses to and from work ) . :default_smiley-angelic002:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I thoroughly object to that remark, in view of other discussions ongoing on other threads at the moment.

We (and especially myself) have been advised to report posts that we regard as unacceptable, or against the TOS. I did this, as soon as you posted it, but I have not had any contact from mods and your post is still there. So I think that gives me a right to reply.

Only those who have had actual involvement with the hire boat business will ever know what is really involved, so I can't blame you for your ignorance. I can suggest, that you confine such un-necessary and deliberately inflammatory remarks to other "social media" where it seems that such debate, regrettably, is the norm.

I'm not quite sure what my 'deliberately inflammatory' remarks' are. I saw that the original news of the collision had been posted on 'social media' and then mentioned on this forum by the O.P., and later that the unfortunate helmsman had been vilified for his mistake, on that same 'social media'. Which I gather is a 'Facebook' page (which I neither have, nor want access to). My thought was only that, had the helm been a holidaymaker aboard a 'hire craft', then the vilification on the aforementioned 'Facebook' page, would probably have been even more strongly voiced. I may perhaps be wrong in making that assumption, if that is so, I apologise unreservedly.

Just a wee reality check folks . Last night 100 miles from me, 5 people died in a road accident . Some people involved were tourists, some were children . Investigations are ongoing. 

Thats a tragic event , it was I'm sure an accident.

Today was an accident , I'm also sure .

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Wussername said:

Is there not a notice on the river bank which states that you should not cross until the ferry has reached its destination.

Andrew

There is, only two things wrong with that sign,

1. It is only advisory as the ferry should give way to you, but none the less good advice. If the river is in flow very hard for the ferry to actually give way until the chains have dropped, which means it needs to be docked.

2. I have had the ferry depart from the bank after I have passed the sign!!!:default_2gunsfiring_v1::default_2gunsfiring_v1::default_2gunsfiring_v1:If it's good enough for me to follow advice, its good enough for them. Again I accept that not all the ferry operators are the same, and I have no idea which one it was that set off when I was close to it. I will say that I was going against the tide, which would mean me taking longer to reach him, but then again he was still going against the spirit of an advisory sign.

As to the actual event of today. Again I'll wait for the report in the navigation meeting minutes which will be more or less a truer reflection of the truth.

• Like 2

For me this highlights two things. 

Any helms person can make an honest mistake, experienced or inexperienced, hirer or private owner. Maybe this could therefore end the never ending debate of hirer versus owner. 

It also highlights the difference between this forum and Facebook. Both are under the same brand but over on our FB page you can read all about this with the boat also being named. It’s hard to grasp why that is acceptable in one place and not the other. 

Apologies for bringing two controversial subjects into this thread. But for me it’s a prime example of both!

• Like 6

Reedham Ferry has been around for a long time, far longer than the byelaws. I do wonder if these byelaws are realistic. Let me explain, the Ferry is situated in an area where both it and approaching boats are clearly visible to each other. Once a suitable gap in the river traffic is seen the ferry then tightens to its chains and sets off. Once the commitment is made then it only has one option, that is to continue to the other side. It can't stop to let boats pass as the tide is forcing it tight to its chains so nothing is gained by stopping. On the other side of the coin boat skippers can clearly see the ferry, that it has left the bank and that its chains are tight, common sense and common courtesy suggests that as a commercial, hampered vessel she is best avoided. Byelaw or not,  best to give way and to take suitable avoiding action. Okay, so Martin Broom, a man who knew the river well, was lifted on the chains, his boat, Raisena, draws 5'6" which perhaps the ferry skipper of the day didn't allow for, most Broads sailing boats drawing rather less. It would seem to this desk top warrior that the motor cruiser skipper misjudged the avoiding action that was required just as the Ferry skipper might have misjudged the river traffic. At the end of the day the cruiser skipper was better placed than the Ferry skipper for taking avoiding action  quite simply by holding off and keeping clear. Byelaw or not, my sympathy lays with the Ferry operator. Should it transpire that the Ferry set off without allowing the cruiser sufficient opportunity to take avoiding action then my sympathies will obviously transfer to the cruiser skipper.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

JM, we rarely disagree, hovever may I refer you to Vaughan's reply to mine

"You are quite right about the byelaws and they are the same as international rules for pilotage waters. The ferry does not have right of way."

The ferry pulls itself over the river by the chains, and I have always noticed that the chain behind it seems to enter the water at a steep angle. So is it safe to assume that the chain "probably" submerges to such a level that passing the ferry astern is "relatively" safe. (Note all the abbreviated words!)

The dreaded right of way, as a pedestrian I have right of way on a Zebra crossing common sense dictates I don't step out when a vehicle especially a large one is to close to stop, there are a lot of people in cemeteries that had right of way, most accidents could be avoided if everybody was less assertive and more prepared to give way regardless of who is in the right.

Fred

• Like 3

I can make no judgement here as I wasn't there. I will only pass the chain ferry if I can see the loading ramp is down or being lowered. The ferry being hard against the quay. I have had other boats pass me while I wait for this to happen!

Regardless of bylaws, regs, whatever, it's me at the helm that is responsible.

I reiterate, I make no judgement here. Just someone having a really bad day.

Colin :default_drink_2:

• Like 4

9 hours ago, kingfisher666 said:

I'm not quite sure what my 'deliberately inflammatory' remarks' are. I saw that the original news of the collision had been posted on 'social media' and then mentioned on this forum by the O.P., and later that the unfortunate helmsman had been vilified for his mistake, on that same 'social media'. Which I gather is a 'Facebook' page (which I neither have, nor want access to). My thought was only that, had the helm been a holidaymaker aboard a 'hire craft', then the vilification on the aforementioned 'Facebook' page, would probably have been even more strongly voiced. I may perhaps be wrong in making that assumption, if that is so, I apologise unreservedly.

I can see no reason why you should have to apologise. Quite the opposite, in fact. I think it is you who is owed an apology.

We have all read, at one time or another, the unjustified denigration of hire crews. Those mindless critics don't seem to realise that some/many of those crews have been hiring for decades, and may well have far superior boating skills than those of their critics.

I completely agree that, had the boat involved in the collision been a hire boat, the invective would have been many times worse.

• Like 6

Having read eyewitness accounts on other places where said "trial" is taking place, it appears the ferry  left when the boat was approx 30m from the chains .

Assuming this was correct ,at that point , I would say the ferry was at fault ,however the fact that ,its also stated that the helmsperson ( cant assume or assign gender ,heaven forbid) then speeded up to make it through.

Again assuming these witnesses are no lying or mistaken , then the ultimate mistake must surely be attempting to continue on course ,over/through two high tensile steel chains ????

Personally I never pass unless the ferry docked , and have never had any issue while doing so 

I merely make observations here and do not judge anyones guilt or otherwise .

I can only hope I have not upset anyone , infringed any forum regulations or upset any sacred cows with this post .

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

The ferry pulls itself over the river by the chains, and I have always noticed that the chain behind it seems to enter the water at a steep angle. So is it safe to assume that the chain "probably" submerges to such a level that passing the ferry astern is "relatively" safe. (Note all the abbreviated words!)

Hi David, It really depends on the state of the tide, so quite a dangerous assumption really. At slack water the chains behind the ferry will drop back into the water and sink under gravity, however should a gust of wind take the ferry up or down river then all the chains will tighten to some degree. If the river is in full flow then as the ferry departs it will be dragged up or down river and all the chains will stay tight until the ferry is back on its normal crossing path and nearly docked , at which point it will often use one engine more than the other to drag itself level to the quay ready for lowering the ramp.

If you watch the ferrymen, most will wave you on if they want you to pass before they set off, and likewise most will wave you on when they are safely docked or as near as makes no difference.

• Like 3

This only goes to confirm to me why I don't have anything to do with FB or any of the other platforms, the only people who are concerned here are the Ferry Operator, the Helm of the cruiser and the Authorities no one else, as and when any investigation has taken place and any blame is apportioned by the Authorities maybe then the subject is open to discussion till then all we need is to know the Ferry is out of commission and nobody was injured.

Fred

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1