Thanks Tbmc

johnb

We and a number of others have just enjoyed a quiet night at the free quiet moorings provided by TBMC at Potter Heugham. Children had space to play and adults could sit on the well kept grass-all at no cost to us, so David (ex-pilot) please pass on our thanks to the committee. Also to others who also provide such facilities. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

58 minutes ago, johnb said:

We and a number of others have just enjoyed a quiet night at the free quiet moorings provided by TBMC at Potter Heugham. Children had space to play and adults could sit on the well kept grass-all at no cost to us, so David (ex-pilot) please pass on our thanks to the committee. Also to others who also provide such facilities. 

What's TBMC and where exactly is it? 

2 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

What's TBMC and where exactly is it? 

Thurne Bungalow Management Company. I believe they own the head lease and manage the communal services such as rubbish collection for the bungalows in Potter Heigham. Each of the bungalow owners has a share in the company. They also provide a couple of free 24hr moorings spots on the right hand side as you go through Potter. These are provided and maintained at their cost and rightly so they have designated them as quiet moorings. Lovely moorings.

Expilot, a member here could probably tell you a lot more than I can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My thanks to those who have already contributed to this thread.  TBMC is the abbreviated version of Thurne Bungalows Management Company Limited - an unusual set-up that few may have encountered before.  

The first bungalows on the flood banks of the River Thurne are now more than one hundred years old.  At various times in the past, these short leasehold properties were threatened with demolition.  The River Thurne Tenants Association (founded in 1948) consistently fought all attempts at riverbank clearance and, in 1985, the RTTA  founded TBMC Ltd for the sole purpose of purchasing a 99 year lease of the riverbank from the Anglian Water Authority, the riverbank freeholder at that time. 

Having purchased the lease, TBMC Ltd then granted ninety-nine year leases (less ten days) to each of the existing plot tenants of that time.  Having become an under-leaseholder, each was also then required to purchase a single Ordinary share in TBMC Ltd, the new landlord company.  At the present time, there are 185 TBMC leaseholders, each of whom is simultaneously a leaseholder, shareholder and customer of the landlord Company - a virtuous circle.

TBMC Ltd (ie the Potter Heigham, Repps With Bastwick, Ludham and Martham riverbank bungalow owners) owns and maintains, at the Company's expense, several non-bungalow sites along the riverbank.  Because we maintain, at some considerable annual cost,  these sites for public access, TBMC Ltd has always reserved the right to determine to whom and for what purposes the sites may be used.  As you would expect of genuine visitors to the Broads who appreciate them for their uniqueness, it is a genuine pleasure that TBMC Ltd offers such facilities, without charge, to the boating public.  TBMC Ltd will continue to provide such public access to these sites whilst its wishes are observed.  For the most part, they are.  Thank you.

David Sanford (Expilot)

Current Chairman of TBMC Ltd and

TBMC Ltd Managing Agent.

Footnote:  The RTTA will be celebrating its seventieth birthday on Bridge Green, Potter Heigham, this coming Sunday afternoon.  All welcome.

Both TBMC Ltd and the RTTA maintain websites which some find informative and useful.

Edited by expilot
punctuation errors
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 9

No problem. 

There are 185 River Thurne Lease A properties and 32 Lease B properties.  Both Lease A and Lease B plots have leases that expire in 2085.  Lease A plot owners pay a £5.00 per year ground rent that is fixed at £5.00 p.a. until lease expiry.  Lease B plot owners pay a set pounds per foot of river frontage which is reviewable by the lessor, the Environment Agency, every five years.  Current Lease B ground rents range from about £600 per year to £2,500 pounds per year.  Lease B owners are also required by lease covenant to pay a clawback to the lessor, the EA.  The clawback is fixed at 15% of the commercial market value of the plot/bungalow at the time of each lease transfer.  Both Lease A and Lease B plot owners pay a service charge annually to TBMC Ltd ranging from £108.00 per year to £2,500 per year depending upon the services provided to each plot by TBMC Ltd.  Approximately half the bungalows are without mains drainage.  TBMC operates an on-demand cesspit pump-out service to such properties on three days during each week Easter to October and once a week November to Easter.  Lease B properties are located in three groups, one at the downriver end on the Repps bank, one between Potter Bridge and Martham Boat Development on the Martham Bank and the third five bungalows above Highs Mill on the Potter Heigham, NE riverbank.

I trust this helps.  I will add the River Thurne Tenants Association website address and the TBMC Ltd website address.  Both are not-for profit organisations.  If such links are not permitted, may I ask moderators to delete them from my reply.

River Thurne Tenants Association:  http://www.rtta.me.uk

Thurne Bungalows Management Company Limited: http://www.tbmc.me.uk

Both Lease A plots and Lease B plots are burdened by covenants that strictly prohibit bungalows being used as permanent residences and may be used for holiday purposes only.

If anyone is interested in more detail than can be found on the two websites, please pm me and I will do my best to answer further enquiries.

David Sanford

TBMC Ltd Chairman and Managing Agent.

TBMC Ltd is a Company Registered in England and Wales No 01878622

• Thanks 2

Just spent a fortnight at Watersedge which is managed by Riverside Rentals.   Excellent property and excellent service from Riverside Rentals.   Nothing is too much trouble.    That property is on main drainage.    I have always been wary of the ones with cesspits because I was under the wrong impression that Louise (Loo Ease) came only once a week to empty the cesspit , if need be.      It is good to know that they can attend more often, especially in the main holiday season.

Not only does TBMC's barge, Louise, call on Tuesdays, Thursday and Saturdays, but, under new management and new management appointed contractors, she is on 'emergency' call-out duty twenty-four-seven, year round. 

In fairness to those bungalows that are not connected to a mains drainage system (all of the Martham and Repps banks bungalows and five above Highs Mill on the Potter Heigham bank) none still use cassette loos nor the even older Elsans.  They all use macerating systems, the sort that are now found in most Broads hire boats.  Incidentally, although an application to connect the ninety-nine riverside bungalows to a first-time mains sewerage system was turned down by Anglian Water, an appeal is currently being considered by the Secretary of State.

Footnote:  To maintain balance, Riverside Holidays Ltd of Catfield and Riverside Rentals of Horning have already been mentioned.  Other bungalow holiday rental agencies exist.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, expilot said:

Not only does TBMC's barge, Louise, call on Tuesdays, Thursday and Saturdays, but, under new management and new management appointed contractors, she is on 'emergency' call-out duty twenty-four-seven, year round. 

In fairness to those bungalows that are not connected to a mains drainage system (all of the Martham and Repps banks bungalows and five above Highs Mill on the Potter Heigham bank) none still use cassette loos nor the even older Elsans.  They all use macerating systems, the sort that are now found in most Broads hire boats.  Incidentally, although an application to connect the ninety-nine riverside bungalows to a first-time mains sewerage system was turned down by Anglian Water, an appeal is currently being considered by the Secretary of State.

Footnote:  To maintain balance, Riverside Holidays Ltd of Catfield and Riverside Rentals of Horning have already been mentioned.  Other bungalow holiday rental agencies exist.

Now that is good to know.      In that case we will consider the other holiday bungalows that are for rental.

Thank you for all of the information above.

• 4 years later...

Seems the lovely quiet moorings are no more at Potter Heigham. Both are unkept, overgrown and have large NO MOORING signs. We will no longer come down to the beautiful area as the only place now to moor is opposite Herbert Woods which is noisy and raucous with all the day boats. What a shame.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Unimpressed said:

We will no longer come down to the beautiful area as the only place now to moor is opposite Herbert Woods which is noisy and raucous with all the day boats. What a shame.

It's not noisy or raucous. I agree the loss of the Quiet Moorings is a sad one but If you choose to no longer visit Potter Heigham that's your loss.

• Like 1

We’ve stayed on the Potter H moorings opposite Herbert Woods several times. Not noisy and raucous from my experience. Maybe you were unlucky? We’ve always found it very peaceful, once the scrum of boats going in and out of the Herbert Woods yard has died down. We did have a lot of bow slap one windy night, but I’m sure it would have been as bad on any moorings directly on the river. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

It's not noisy or raucous. I agree the loss of the Quiet Moorings is a sad one but If you choose to no longer visit Potter Heigham that's your loss.

Hmmm!  I won’t moor opposite Woods yard.  The last time I did, our boat was hit twice by boats either trying to turn before the bridge or trying to moor.  I’ve also seen accidents with boats exiting Woods yard struggling to turn and hitting moored craft.

There are a few visitor moorings inside Woods and if I visit Potter now, I tend to moor there.  It’s not cheap for private craft, but cheaper than potential damage.

66BE74AD-5316-41E7-AD78-8827F8C3FB45.jpeg

I get that Malcolm although that would only apply to the two or three spaces at the downstream end of the free moorings?

I do quite like the grassy bit in Herbert Woods in the centre of your photo. That tends to be my go to spot when the free moorings are full.

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I get that Malcolm although that would only apply to the two or three spaces at the downstream end of the free moorings?

That would be for boats leaving their yard admittedly, but the number of folk who leave it too late to turn before getting to the bridge and struggling never ceases to amaze me.  That said, considering how far Potter is from Yarmouth, the current near the bridge seems to be quite strong and probably doesn’t help craft either trying to moor, or turn.

Sadly, if Woods do start to strictly apply their somewhat heavy mooring charge for private craft (£7 per hour), Potter will be crossed off my list of places to visit when we venture to the northern rivers.

• Like 1

Personal opinion but unless to go through the bridge  I would never want to visit Potter Heigham anyway. Very unkind and I apologise but I always get an image of Soweto when the place is mentioned.

Fred

:default_hiding: