Lost A Boat!!! Or My Mind??? Oh Never Mind.

WasJono

15 hours ago, VetChugger said:

Its great to see some boats moored at Marina Keys. Lets hope the plans to bring these back into use do actually happen.

My daughter is staying at Wroxham at the moment while rowing on the Yare and went to Great Yarmouth for a day out on Saturday. She wasn't impressed and felt sorry for the place not having seen it for 20 years.

Forgive me, but it is twenty years since I last piloted a full summer season.  From memory, I think the Lowliner with steering on the 'wrong side' was 'Shining Horizon' but there was no upper helm on this Lowliner.  The Lowliners were my favourite boats to pilot.  Richardsons fitted a brilliant low frequency horn to these boats.  Far better than the fairground ride toot fitted to most hire boats!

From memory, only one boat scared me more than 'Shining Horizon' and that was a steel boat from Hippersons - painted bright orange.  The front windscreen was split by a wide hunk of metal which meant that you could only see the keystone if you were miles out of line and only then at the very last minute.

1 hour ago, oldgregg said:

Would it be the wierd dual-steer sedan thing they did?

No they are set up the same as normal up there apart from the hatch was to the side but the rest was the same. Expilot has cleared it up it is one of those ugly lowliner sedan things. 

51 minutes ago, expilot said:

From memory, only one boat scared me more than 'Shining Horizon' and that was a steel boat from Hippersons - painted bright orange.  The front windscreen was split by a wide hunk of metal which meant that you could only see the keystone if you were miles out of line and only then at the very last minute.

That would be the "Treasure Huntress" a boat not to be messed with.

Fred

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VetChugger said:

Jono, that photo of Marina Keys is quite a few years old and not representative of the current state. I should have pointed that out.

No need Vetchugger as we sailed past last September and saw the state of it!

20 hours ago, Jono said:

A drop lock would resolve things. They built one at Dalmuir when they refurbished the Forth and Clyde Canal. There was only a few feet of clearance there but the drop lock worked really well.

Trouble is it costs!!!!

That wouldn't work at Potter Heigham Bridge. A canal has almost no current (compared to a river) and so creating a dam when the upstream lock is shut has little effect. Any surplus water upstream is bypassed via diversion routes of some sort. You'd need to deal with a lot of water building up when the gates were shut at PH

2 hours ago, jimbob88 said:

Would there be enough width on the river to put in floating pontoons. 

Sadly not, the river width is greatly reduced at low water, if an off river marina were built then floating pontoons could be incorporated. 

I see this as being a derelict site unless there is change of use planning request in the offing.

Regards

Alan

3 hours ago, neilp1962 said:

That wouldn't work at Potter Heigham Bridge. A canal has almost no current (compared to a river) and so creating a dam when the upstream lock is shut has little effect. Any surplus water upstream is bypassed via diversion routes of some sort. You'd need to deal with a lot of water building up when the gates were shut at PH

I thought Potter Heigham had 3 arches. The drop lock would only affect the middle arch when in use.

4 minutes ago, Jono said:

I thought Potter Heigham had 3 arches. The drop lock would only affect the middle arch when in use.

You're quite right if they engineered it that way with the two side arches outside of the drop lock, sorry I wasn't being arsey. Nice idea to somehow get above the bridge though.

On 21/08/2018 at 14:58, neilp1962 said:

You're quite right if they engineered it that way with the two side arches outside of the drop lock, sorry I wasn't being arsey. Nice idea to somehow get above the bridge though.

Didn't think you were and although I think about this,  do we really want everybody being able to get North of the bridge? We haven't managed it for a long, long time so we are hiring a picnic boat in September to take a day up there. Talking of which is the lunch time menu at the Pleasure Boat up to much? Very limited when we were last there a couple of years ago.

For what its worth, very little would induce me to eat at the Pleasure Boat, especially when just up the road is one of Norfolks hidden treasures, the Greyhound. That really is a lovely pub with a cracking, sheltered garden, perfect for a restful few hours in which to pass the time away!!

But it takes all sorts I know...!!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi All, 

Lovely following your thread all things Broads craft. 

We did a trial run in 2016 for 12 months producing replica 1:16 scale working model kits of bygone era Broads craft. 

Following the trial we are making a few tweeks to re produce simpler versions for sometime in 2020.

Happy New year to you all when it arrives. 

• Like 1