Into A Flap With A Flappy Thing

59 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Good grief!

I'm going back up to my loft to play trains!    

The friendly forum eh! I'm sure there is an irony in that reply being more worthy of the Facebook groups. :facepalm:

Having not posted or browsed the forum much in the last couple of days, this thread caught my eye and I replied. Having spent around 30 mins working on my reply and carefully considering it, it elicits the response above! Well done, I hope it improved your day!

Now at this point in time I can think of a few not so carefully considered replies, but instead I shall wish John well in trying to find the answers he requires and I shall go and make dinner.

There may be a few, but most of the Saily/ stinky stuff  on here is strictly for laughs and should be treated as such.  

Where ill manners obtain, that is a reflection on the person handing it out rather than on the recipient.  We can 'rise above it' to quote Lewis Hamilton's dad.

You will notice too that Q as a club organiser reacted very positively 

to a complaint about someone racing, and had a very good idea who to speak to. It's a minority thing.

15 minutes ago, Polly said:

Where ill manners obtain, that is a reflection on the person handing it out rather than on the recipient.  We can 'rise above it' to quote Lewis Hamilton's dad.

You will notice too that Q as a club organiser reacted very positively 

to a complaint about someone racing, and had a very good idea who to speak to. It's a minority thing.

Sorry, but I really don't have a clue what you are saying here. The only thing I understand here is Lewis Hamilton, possibly dating someone famous, F1 and basically that ends there!

Pleased to have had a more positive experience on Hickling today with ‘famous reverse artist’ (Broad Ambition I.e. Griff), seen reversing out of the Pleasure Boat Inn dyke, just as we were making our way in that direction. We waved! :default_icon_bowdown:

We were on an electric day boat late afternoon, making our way back to hand back the boat at Whispering Reeds Boatyard, having had an idyllic day out.

:default_biggrin:

Will post our day boat experience soon on some blog or other soon. (Am trying to work out which blog thread is most suitable!)

• Like 2

Ohhhh got you! Sorry!  I referred to Lewis Hamilton in the context of taking abuse as a younger racer, and what his dad said. Then I referred to Q's thread about the   Sailing racing at Horning and how an incident of a racer giving someone grief was going to be  followed up on. Sorry not to have been clearer. :default_coat:

On a more serious note, we found when hiring Hunters Boats that sailing is a lot more unpredictable than helming cruisers. I’ve found myself waving instructions to passing mobos only to have the wind compleletey die away and leave me looking like a complete idiot.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yes me too Helen it can be like that. We were sailing from West Somerton, I signalled  the MOBO behind to overtake and just then the wind picked up and we fairly flew off downstream on just the jib. Then we did slow and they did overtake, we all had a laugh about 'warp speed'.

Were they singing the Catain Pugwash tune on BA:default_icon_mrgreen:

• Haha 1

I'm not saying it's the same person but I'm starting to suspect that it may well be....

Last year, I was returning to my mooring. I was close to the houseboats but had to hold station as a sailing dinghy (yes, it might have been a Yeoman, I really didn't look.) was putting up it's sails, right in the middle of the mouth of the dyke, effectively blocking it. I stood off about 100 yards from him. There was little wind so not a tricky thing to do.

After about 5 minutes he sailed slowly out from the dyke allowing me access. The thing that struck me at the time was not so much the selfishness displayed by raising his sails in that place, but the complete lack of acknowledgement of my existence let alone thanking me for waiting.

The only reason I now think it might have been the same fellow is that I like to think that such rudeness is rare, especially within the sailing community. 

Sounds true to form and this is a type that seems to becoming more and more prevelant everywhere, not just among boaters, of all persuasions, but in society.

It is neatly summed up in the phrase "sense of entitlement"

Edit: I posted at the same time as Polly, hopefully indicating that I have just been unlucky lately :12_slight_smile:

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I'm not saying it's the same person but I'm starting to suspect that it may well be....

Last year, I was returning to my mooring. I was close to the houseboats but had to hold station as a sailing dinghy (yes, it might have been a Yeoman, I really didn't look.) was putting up it's sails, right in the middle of the mouth of the dyke, effectively blocking it. I stood off about 100 yards from him. There was little wind so not a tricky thing to do.

After about 5 minutes he sailed slowly out from the dyke allowing me access. The thing that struck me at the time was not so much the selfishness displayed by raising his sails in that place, but the complete lack of acknowledgement of my existence let alone thanking me for waiting.

The only reason I now think it might have been the same fellow is that I like to think that such rudeness is rare, especially within the sailing community. 

As Poppy mentioned in a previous post the best way to understand the issues faced by the sailing fraternity is to embark on an introductory sail.

Raising and lowering the sails whilst on the go needs careful choice of water and of course taking into account  tide and wind particulatly if you have no engine to assist in maintainig position.

I guess the decision was made to raise the sails there before you arrived on the scene and yes it is sad you were inconvenienced, had it been me I would have thanked you for holding station.

Incidently, I thought your original question to be excellent. Real time explainations of events allow informative discussions to take place and it is always good to examine the colregs and try to conclude who may or may not have been to blame.  I'm sure we all learned something from your experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, smellyloo said:

As Poppy mentioned in a previous post the best way to understand the issues faced by the sailing fraternity is to embark on an introductory sail.

Raising and lowering the sails whilst on the go needs careful choice of water and of course taking into account  tide and wind particulatly if you have no engine to assist in maintainig position.

I guess the decision was made to raise the sails there before you arrived on the scene and yes it is sad you were inconvenienced, had it been me I would have thanked you for holding station.

Incidently, I thought your original question to be excellent. Real time explainations of events allow informative discussions to take place and it is always good to examine the colregs and try to conclude who may or may not have been to blame.  I'm sure we all learned something from your experience.

Preferably the Navigation bylaws, which specifically disapply the colregs on the Broads .

"The Collision Regulations as hereinafter defined shall not apply

in any waters to which these Byelaws apply" 

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/399230/Navigation_Byelaws_1995-1.pdf

• Like 2

Thanks Smellyloo, and yes, I too have come to some conclusions too, Perhaps it would have been better if I'd asked what he wanted me to do, and I'm sure any other sailor would have probably responded in a helpful manner. In his case however I'm starting to convince myself that he wouldn't. I admit, that might be a bit unfair of me.

• Like 1

As kids we used to play 'chicken', namely riding our bikes towards each other and the first one to take avoiding action was chicken. Some of us grew out of it, at least by the time we bought our first cars. I notice it in our local swimming pool where people swim endlessly from end to end, some will take common sense or courteous avoiding action whilst others stubbornly carry on, refusing to deviate from their chosen course,  leaving it to others to keep clear. Similarly I see boat owners of both persuasion doing precisely the same thing, but why? What is so hard about moving either tiller or wheel and why do some folk get so visibly angry about having to? Human nature I suppose. Only half of us are perfect! I certainly don't see it as just a MAFI or WAFI issue but it does sometimes manifest itself as such, especially up on the North Rivers. Must be that we are a tad more pragmatic down South!

• Like 2