Acle Bridge Inn

johnb

Tried to book a table for four Monday evening but told they no longer book tables. Every time we have been there they have been busy, does anyone have any recent experience of just arriving? Hope to take some visitors but don't want to traipse from one place to another if we can't get a table. Thanks for any info. 

16 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

If they are busy then they have no need to take bookings, got to say that I don't blame them.

Sorry Peter, but I totally disagree. If you are entertaining you don't want to be hanging about you want certainty. But I suppose it is not the sort of place that you would entertain in if it is important. 

very good food, but not fine dining.

• Like 2

Sorry Chris don’t get your school of thought re it’s not the kind of place you would entertain if it’s important. It doesn’t pretend to be a fine dining experience.

We had our daughter wedding reception in the thatched area 5 years ago after being let down badly by another local hostilely (no names mentioned but it was in Wayford )

I will say all the staff bent over backwards and we couldn’t have asked for a better venue by the river and and it was a great  relaxing atmosphere. The food was also superb and I don’t say that lightly as my wife was a head chef in a past life at a large hotel.

With the amount of people going through their doors in the season it would by virtually impossible to book prime  tables out.

John

• Like 1

Exactly so if you want to entertain and be certain not to be waiting around you don't go for somewhere like The Bridge if they will not book a time. A large function is a different matter, I think you will agree.

If I wanted good food at a time to suit myself and guests my choice would be The Gunton Arms or Morston Hall or before it burnt The Swan.

14 hours ago, Jbx5 said:

Fair enough Chris  enjoy  don’t forget the recruiting seargent our favourite place at the moment 

John

Also The Rising Sun at Coltishall owned by the same group as The Recruiting Sergeant.Different menu but the same good service and excellent food.

16 hours ago, ChrisB said:

If I wanted good food at a time to suit myself and guests my choice would be The Gunton Arms or Morston Hall or before it burnt The Swan.

Quite a trek from the river though ...........

I think I could just about make the Gunton Arms from Dilham in under three hours .....

15 hours ago, Jbx5 said:

Fair enough Chris  enjoy  don’t forget the recruiting seargent our favourite place at the moment 

John

Excellent place, but the portions tend to overface me so it is usually just a main course for me.

5 hours ago, Robeverson said:

Also The Rising Sun at Coltishall owned by the same group as The Recruiting Sergeant.Different menu but the same good service and excellent food.

Every time we've been in the Rising Sun recently the food & service has left much to be desired. 

The Recruiting Sergeant has been fine...

I don't honestly have any real criticism of the Bridge, I always regard it as a 'must drop in for a pint and a snack as I'm passing' type of pub rather than one of the 'I'll give it a miss' this time watering hole. Just one niggle though, dropped in there last September and almost before we'd sat down our order had been taken and seconds later it was on the table! Excellent food and drink, as ever, but I would have liked time for a natter and a chance for the anticipation to kick in. Slick & professional but we did feel that we were being hurried along before the next customers came along. As for pubs and mounting expenses, apart from the very excellent Wetherspoons at Beccles I find that problem pretty universal. 

Pubs that I don't like going past without stopping at!

The Bell at St Olaves, The Bridge at Acle, The Locks at Geldeston, The Pleasure Boat at Potter, The Ferry at Surlingham, the Ferry at Reedham,  The Waveney Inn at Burgh St Peter and the Kings Head at Beccles. 

• Like 1

Couldn't help noticing that most of the pubs on your list are down South, want to be careful you don't encourage too much of the riff raff South. :default_rofl:Don't want to have to end up squeezed in like sardines on the South. I think Jenny has over rated the pubs to be honest, far better up North. :default_norty:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think Jenny M's list is quite accurate, and yes, most are down south as I generally find the pubs on the south side are better. If I were on a boat "pub crawl" (and sadly those days are generally behind us now) then I doubt I would venture anywhere upstream of Acle Bridge. 

However, I appreciate there are some people who are surgically attached to the New Inn, Stokesby Ferry, even the Maltsters so the fact that they are not on my list obviously doesn't make them "bad", just not to my taste.

22 hours ago, chrisdobson45 said:

Every time we've been in the Rising Sun recently the food & service has left much to be desired. 

The Recruiting Sergeant has been fine...

Just had lunch there (The Rising Sun) and no complaints today or any other of the times i've visited.

The car park gets pretty busy though and today, outside, the wasps were a bit of a pest but that's not unique to the Rising Sun.

I've booked tables there also BUT you can't book an outside table only inside.

Stopped at The Bridge Inn yesterday for lunch, very busy but they seated the two of us straight away. We were told there was a bit of a delay in orders as it was really busy, but it was only for about 20 minutes or so. Ate at The Rising Sun on Wednesday, very friendly and helpful staff, again busy but still managed to seat us, five adults and two dogs.