Acle Bridge Inn

johnb

4 hours ago, Maxwellian said:

I have eaten in M* restaurants and felt that Lavendar House compared quite nicely.

Although quite a bit more expensive than a happy meal! :default_rofl::default_norty:

Or perhaps you were not referring to the Golden Arches! :facepalm:

The Lavender House was always on the must visit list, but never got around to it before it closed.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Paul said:

Actually, with hindsight I think I made an error calling The Lavender House the worst experience. Perhaps the most disappointing would be more accurate. The worst experience was a Fish and Chip Shop from which the food was inedible and went into the bin. As they are still trading I shall say no more.

In the 3RR outside assistance is not allowed, although some do seem to manage to drop their food whilst attempting to unwrap it standing on the bridge onto a passing boat below. :default_norty: Perhaps it is not assistance as I at first thought, but sabotage! :default_eusa_naughty:

7 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

:default_norty: Perhaps it is not assistance as I at first thought, but sabotage! :default_eusa_naughty:

Some years ago it would definitely be assistance. In recent years however, doubtless sabotage if the competitors were daft enough to actually eat it. :default_gbxhmm:

• Haha 2

I really like the Bridge, it's totally unpretentious, and doesn't try to be something it isn't. Food is really good for the money, portions are pretty large and service was great.

After we'd eaten the barmaid asked if we would like to bring out dog in, so we did (he's not very good with other dogs so we tend to keep him out of pubs) and she made sure he had his own 'safe space' gave him a packet of crisps and generally looked after all of us very well indeed. We will be returning later this year.

If I wan't something a bit more 'upmarket' (not entirely sure that's the right word, but can't think of anything better) then we'll go to the Lion at Thurne, or the White Horse at Neatishead, as we will be later this year.

In fact the only bad experience I've had on the broads was one in Horning many years back, but I won't name names, as it's still trading. They all have something unique to offer, and it's actually nice to see competition bringing the standard up, so often its the case that they know they have a captive audience, so why try harder.

• Like 4

I'm not a great lover of the "expert" armchair food critics that proliferate on social media as it is almost impossible to judge "what" standard they prefer, large portions, un-spiced, well done, under or overcookeed veg .... well you get the idea.

My particular complaint is when someone regurgitates a complaint from the past in a current review thread ....... if I were a mod I would delete such posts as it could prove damaging to the current management.

2 hours ago, smellyloo said:

I'm not a great lover of the "expert" armchair food critics that proliferate on social media as it is almost impossible to judge "what" standard they prefer, large portions, un-spiced, well done, under or overcookeed veg .... well you get the idea.

My particular complaint is when someone regurgitates a complaint from the past in a current review thread ....... if I were a mod I would delete such posts as it could prove damaging to the current management.

That, Loo, happens in all walks of life, and not just in relation to food. For years I photographed children and more than once someone came up and showed me a dire photo of one of their older children, telling me how much they loved it and how good it was and then would inevitably demand that I replicate it with their new child. That I would do, and then take portraits as I know to be good and that would sell. The same goes for boats, I went aboard one boat that smelt as ripe as an old pear, phew, 'she funny hummed'. I was told that the new owner's friend had recommended it and he knew all about boats, lethal. By the way, I like my steaks with a pulse, my curries hot, my fish less than 24 hours old and the chips twice cooked, e.g. oven chips deep fried! Does that qualify me to comment on food?

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

By the way, I like my steaks with a pulse, my curries hot, my fish less than 24 hours old and the chips twice cooked, e.g. oven chips deep fried! Does that qualify me to comment on food?

No .... that just makes you fussy. :) :default_coat:

• Haha 1

Went to the Bridge Inn last night with four friends without booking.

It was super busy but a space was found for us and we were seated within half an hour of arrival.

Food was ordered and although they were really busy it came in good time and was very enjoyable.

Another great evening was had by all:14_relaxed:

• Like 3

When we went last week we had a 2 hour wait on food, but we were relaxing with a beer or so and so it wasn't a problem.

When the food came it was as good as ever, not fine dining but good honest pub food.

Still one of my favourites in all honesty

• 1 month later...

We have visited The Bridge Inn numerous times and what they do they do well , however I ,being my usual awkward self , do not like chips and never have, yes I know weird , but I enjoy fresh not over cooked vegetables and new or boiled potatoes.

Sadly The Bridge tends to feature standard pub grub on its menu admittedly well presented , portioned and cooked but not to my taste.

Pedros next door is more to Katies taste and offers more than just standard pub grub and shockingly the beer is cheaper .

all that said The Bridge is a well run friendly Broadland pub who do what they do very well and if you enjoy pub fare you won’t go far wrong 

49 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

Good effort Jeff, always good to see the broadband establishments being supported :default_biggrin:

I am now back on our boat horizontal after a three course dinner at the Bridge......No wafer thin mint for me tonight:default_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1