A Serious Question For Jayfire And Wildfuzz

MauriceMynah

I'll be on the Broads again in a few days, and frequently like to have a barbeque. I realise that everywhere is tinder dry at the moment, so what advice is being given to holiday makers on this subject?

My current routine is as follows.  at wild(ish) moorings I pour a some buckets of water onto the grass, covering an area of about 2' square. I place a metal tray on the wet area and stand my barbeque on this tray (barbie is on legs) and I have a bucket of water by me whilst said barbie  is alight. Finally I stay with it until it naturally goes out. The following morning when everything has cooled down I throw the ash into the water and put everything away. The grass under the tray isn't scorched just a bit poached. If the mooring has the grey stone chippings I place the tray on them or if paving slabs are there I use them, always with the tray.

Am I doing enough? Is there a request at the moment not to use barbies?

I await your replies (and other peoples) with great interest. Thanks for reading.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Not the professional response you are looking for I know but that sounds like a pretty responsible way to do it to me, being at tidal water level most of the riverside areas of the broads are still fairly green, once you go uphill it's another matter.

• Like 1

Sounds about right to me too. I once helped extinguish Ranworth island when someone spotted smoke coming from where a disposable BBQ had been a couple of hours previously. It took the combined efforts of 3 or 4 boatloads of folk with buckets and washing up bowls to put it out! Burning peat smells lovely though.

A lot of places elsewhere are banning BBQs.

You could get a Cobb?

We use a Cobb on a folding table, Cobbs stay cool to touch on the outside which is helpful and use little fuel which is also good. In the morning the fuel is entirely ash if left, but if I need speed I pour water on it to douse the fuel brick. Like you I do put the ash in the water.

I think Wildfuzz has a Cobb too?

I have one of those folding aluminium picnic tables. The BBQ has short legs about 12". I find that standing the BBQ on the picnic table makes it a far better height to BBQ, prevents the ground from getting scorched and allows a decent enough air flow underneath that the table doesn't suffer in anyway. In any case, any heat that does radiate down, is soon dissipated by the aluminium which is a very good conductor of heat. The picnic table folds up into a bag no bigger than a standard fold up camping chair. Also gives you a little place around the BQQ for plate. food. tools and off course your can or bottle of beverage. :default_beerchug:

The table I have also has telescopic legs that can be individually adjusted to allow for uneven ground.

Having said all that, I think the precautions you are taking sound reasonable to me.

• Like 1

On 07/08/2018 at 07:52, MauriceMynah said:

I await your replies (and other peoples) with great interest. Thanks for reading.

Sorry for not replying sooner MM, I've been away and just got back this weekend.

You've pretty much nailed it to be honest, wet the ground, have plenty of water on standby just in case, periodically reapplying as the ground dries from the heat.

Never try and fight a fire other than a very small fire. Fires can spread rapidly over tinder dry grass, to overhanging trees and shrubs etc, it's very surprising just how fast.

Keep the barbeque away from overhanging trees/shrubs and away from any property, particularly your boat :default_norty:

Never use petrol or accelerants to light the barbeque.

If using a disposable barbeque, place it on a hard, fire proof surface like you mentioned – never on dry grass.

Place hot coals onto bare earth to cool down and never put them into a wheelie bin, or other bin that could catch fire.

Consider the safe disposal of one-use barbeques.

Keep a bucket of water, on hand in case of an emergency.

Like I said, you already pretty much nailed it. Enjoy your time away.