The New Cut Is Getting Narrower

Meantime

We came past the tree that had been blown over into the river at the weekend. It was not marked then but I see from the photo that the rangers have marked it now. A lot of the port bank of the cut when travelling towards Reedham has got problems with the baskets which once contained stone. The stone has been washed away and the empty steel  baskets are well out into the river. The rangers have marked some of the worst obstructions into the river.

I noticed the train went past there very slowly, so would think there is now a speed limit in case the bank has become unstable. I much prefer heading towards Reedham, than away from Reedham down the cut. I think most people predicted that side would be a mess when they saw how the work was being done, I know we did. The problem now is the clear up before they can even start putting that side right once and for all. The new cut must be the worst bit of the whole flood defence work.

We went up and down the Cut while those steel mesh and stone baskets (gabions, I believe they're called) were being installed. I remarked to Rene, "There's a problem waiting to happen". Now it is. Thought they'd last a bit longer than this. Access on that side is restricted as far as heavy machinery is concerned, most of the work seemed to be being done by three blokes in wellies. Cheery chaps, always gave us a wave!

They could use the railway line to get the heavy machinery to site and put proper piles in. 

Now of course this would mean closing the line down for many months, maybe years, to complete the work, but then they could leave those darn bridges open and we could have a joyous summer again :default_eusa_dance:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Gabions are used in many constructions and are ideal on dry land if constructed in stainless steel, the use of them being used as a bank retention in a waterway was a huge error in judgement, ideally both on behalf of the railways and the waterway the retention should have been built with stone or heavy duty piling.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Gabions are used in many constructions and are ideal on dry land if constructed in stainless steel, the use of them being used as a bank retention in a waterway was a huge error in judgement, ideally both on behalf of the railways and the waterway the retention should have been built with stone or heavy duty piling.

Regards

Alan 

There are several sections of railway embankment adjacent the Fossdyke which are retained by gabion baskets into the water. They seem to be holding up just fine. But they do appear to have been constructed a little better then those on the New Cut have. Perhaps because of better land access to the sites.

We also specify them a lot at work (civil engineer) for watercourse works with very few problems occuring and those that do tend to be due to poor construction of the gabions rather than the unsuitability of the proposals.

Came past that way again on Friday and good to see that most of the obstruction has been cleared. It looks like the tree had taken root in one of the gabion baskets and was presumably beyond the capability of which ever team chopped up the fallen tree. I'm assuming some heavier equipment will be needed to deal with the remainder of the problem. So whilst most of the tree has been removed the root stump and one of the gabion baskets is still leaning into the cut, but is marked with Yellow sticks.

On 07/08/2018 at 23:24, Regulo said:

We went up and down the Cut while those steel mesh and stone baskets (gabions, I believe they're called) were being installed. I remarked to Rene, "There's a problem waiting to happen".

IIRC that was the unanimous (or almost unanimous) suggestions of various forums, social media sites etc at the time. I'm sure there are one or two who might have suggested "wait and see", but to most of us it was obvious the solution being used was not suitable.

19 minutes ago, marshman said:

Thats as maybe but you would not want the cost of steel piling coming out of the Nav Account!!!!

Why would it? Surely it's the land owners problem, or the EA. Now if Network Rail had to pay for it to be fully piled, they might just reconsider the viability of that line. The knock on effect would be no need for the two swing bridges. Just a thought.

• Like 2