Now And Then

7 hours ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Wonder if a modern take on the failings of our illustrious leader and his crew would make good tele?

I think a more accurate and truthful presentation might be well received? We need to get Vaughan and the cohorts of the 'Old Coots Club' on film. For the sake of posterity if nothing else! :default_norty: Vaughan, how are you fixed?

Historians are dangerous people you know. They tend to write 'stuff' down and tell the story 'how they see it'. That's why Mi5 keeps tabs on them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Timbo said:

I think a more accurate and truthful presentation might be well received? We need to get Vaughan and the cohorts of the 'Old Coots Club' on film. For the sake of posterity if nothing else! :default_norty: Vaughan, how are you fixed?

I know of an up and coming event that would provide the perfect backdrop :default_gbxhmm:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

47 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Historians are dangerous people you know. They tend to write 'stuff' down and tell the story 'how they see it'. That's why Mi5 keeps tabs on them.

Archaeologists just dig up the dirt!!

• Haha 3

Robin says "Pubs would be full of families"

Don't know about that. I can remember in the 80s only being allowed in small, souless rooms usually at the back of the pub.

One in particular I remember was the Bridge Inn at Potter: Freezing October school holiday week the only room you could go in with children was the barrel store; a long narrow passage, no heating and sat on a bench facing the rows of barrels.

Cut the brought in buffets and make everyone bring in their own sandwiches. That shortens meetings.

Also get rid of all chairs in the meeting rooms, standing shortens meetings.

It's actually quite rare for the Authority to supply anything above a drink and a biscuit, or at least it was in my time! Now sat in the public/proles row I do appreciate it when offered a coffee, naturally it being served in a BNP mug, or a small piece of a stick of rock, complete with BNP logo through its middle.

What would shorten meetings quite considerably would be if the Chairman's and CEO's reports were suitably abbreviated to exclude BNP propaganda.

A good friend and former colleague of mine always used to say "believe NOTHING you read, and ONLY HALF of what you see", and this is a classic example of how right he was.  I never believe what is reported on the news, it`s filmed and reported in a way to make you believe what they want you to believe. It`s great to be a cynic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/08/2018 at 09:02, Timbo said:

Afraid I won't be back till late October, as Susie and I have decided to take a boat on the Thames this autumn, with our good friends from Kris Cruisers in Datchet. I will take plenty of photos! It is a good idea though. Set a bit of history straight. Meantime if you want to see a really good film about it, look up "The Wind In The Reeds" in the East Anglian Film Archive, or on Youtube. It talks about exactly the same problems and was made in response to a bad press at that time (1960 I think) . It presents a rather different face on things as it was commissioned by Blakes and made by Philip Wayre and Ted Ellis. This one, tells the truth as I remember it.

Perhaps someone could link it here, as I don't know how to?

• Like 1

On 09/08/2018 at 23:07, Wyndham said:

Vaughan...seriously....

....have you ever thought of writing a book.

There seems a lot of interesting stuff you have to tell.

Thank you Wyndham, and others, for your kind comments. A bit of historical reference is always good. It often puts things in proportion.

As to writing a book, maybe I have already written most of it, in the pages of this forum? It is a very valuable resource, especially in the historical and technical areas. It is always here, for members old and new to dip into, and find what they are looking for. I sometimes spend hours, just reading back on information and history, from long before I joined.

This, of course, is something Facebook cannot do for us, as that is a transient medium but this is a lasting archive. When the time comes (as it must) to adopt a new constitution, we must ensure that we assist our team to give this resource a secure and solid grounding, so that it is always there for us.

This not a political message - just a sentiment from me!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Thank you Wyndham, and others, for your kind comments. A bit of historical reference is always good. It often puts things in proportion.

As to writing a book, maybe I have already written most of it, in the pages of this forum? It is a very valuable resource, especially in the historical and technical areas. It is always here, for members old and new to dip into, and find what they are looking for. I sometimes spend hours, just reading back on information and history, from long before I joined.

This, of course, is something Facebook cannot do for us, as that is a transient medium but this is a lasting archive. When the time comes (as it must) to adopt a new constitution, we must ensure that we assist our team to give this resource a secure and solid grounding, so that it is always there for us.

This not a political message - just a sentiment from me!

“History is always written by the winners. When two cultures clash, the loser is obliterated, and the winner writes the history books-books which glorify their own cause and disparage the conquered foe. As Napoleon once said, 'What is history, but a fable agreed upon?”

Dan Brown, The Da Vinci Code

I prefer Vaughan's version of history as to that which is perceived by some.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1