• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

You can Sign up or log in with your Facebook account and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

Sign in to follow this  
Starbrite

Stern Gland

The rubber washer in the stern gland has perished anyone know where I can find a new one it is on the connoisseur that I have bought

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Do you mean a rubber tube between gland and stern tube? Or the packing inside the gland?

Probably Brian Wards at brundall or ASAP supplies at beccles.

Do you mean a rubber tube between gland and stern tube? Or the packing inside the gland?
Probably Brian Wards at brundall or ASAP supplies at beccles.
It's inside the brass housing that you turn to push grease into the stern tube

Do you mean the grease cup?  

I have never seen one with a washer. 

Do you mean the grease cup?  
I have never seen one with a washer. 
Inside the stern gland greaser there is a brass washer then a rubber washer and a metal one when I screw it down the grease just comes past the washers instead of going into the tube

Im with you now, its the plunger in the greaser!

(Meant piston!!!)

It may be better to purchase a new greaser either one that screws into the stern gland or perhaps a remote greaser which comes with a tube and a fitting to screw into the stern gland. (just saw the post from dnks34

along the same lines as my post)

807253_5.jpg

I think starbrite just needs a spare part for his existing setup, sounds like something like this:

23C799E7-CDAC-431D-9016-838FD75BA382.jpeg

I think starbrite just needs a spare part for his existing setup, sounds like something like this:

23C799E7-CDAC-431D-9016-838FD75BA382.jpeg.010ccfd0d52a2c29708b96dac423bee8.jpeg
That the one looked on ASAP earlier but couldn't find it many thanks to respondents for your help

• Like 1

Online catalogues are a right pita if you don't know the proper name for something, a good old fashioned paper one is so much easier to flick through till you see it.

That the one looked on ASAP earlier but couldn't find it many thanks to respondents for your help

ASAP don't have the right size back at the boat on Thursday to get the make of the greaser

Is it definately a washer on the piston and not a large O Ring? 

Ive just looked at a picture of remote greaser on sheridan marine (link below) and with the piston removed it looks like it could be an o ring but it may not be the same setup to what you have.

Thought it worth mentioning as if it is an O ring it might be easier to find a new one. 

https://www.sheridanmarine.com/product/remote-greaser

• Thanks 1

Is it definately a washer on the piston and not a large O Ring? 
Ive just looked at a picture of remote greaser on sheridan marine (link below) and with the piston removed it looks like it could be an o ring but it may not be the same setup to what you have.
Thought it worth mentioning as if it is an O ring it might be easier to find a new one. 
https://www.sheridanmarine.com/product/remote-greaser
Thanks for that it's on an 84 connoisseur and I'm learning all the time on mine when you unscrew it there's a brass washer with a rubber cup washer like the one on ASAP but smaller then a metal washer holds every thing in place I'll get the makers name on Thursday

If you are able to post a photo someone may recognise it and know if parts are available and where to get them from. 

If you cannot source a replacement rubber washer then there are listings on e bay for Black Neoprene rubber washers with diameter from 20mm to 50mm and with various centre hole sizes.You may be able to use one of those.