That First Coffee

VetChugger

My day can't kick off without that smack of caffeine! I have a yen for that smell of fresh ground coffee but can't get on with filter stuff and Cafetières so I bought one of these! Does anyone else have one or have experience of one? Advice needed!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00004RFRU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got some good quality expresso coffee and seasoned the thing as suggested. Then loaded it up and waited. It bubbled and shook until I decided to have a look. The top section was full of coffee so out came the mug and I filled it from the pot. Now my family and mates always compain about how strong I like my coffee but I took a swig of this and, I do not exagerate, it was so strong I reckoned I'd be having hallucinations for the next month at least.

All this blurb leads me to ask! Do you sup it straight from the pot? The pot isn't huge and just fills my trusted breakfast mug yet, on the destructions it does say it will make up to six cups of coffee in one go. Does this mean you drink it by the thimble full or do you dilute it in your mug??

I have had the largest size of this classic instrument since the 70s. Just needed to replace the seal a couple of times. Makes superb coffee  but what a palaver! Use a cafeteria for everyday use. I think the most important thing about coffee is to only use whole beans which are  ground just before use. Keep them airtight, it does make a difference. You can buy battery powered vacuum containers which will pump the air out a couple of times a day. As Cambridge Cabby says experiment blending the beans for whatever the occasion is. Wonderful drink if made properly.

Fred

I love coffee and had a Tassimo for many years, earlier this year I decided to upgrade to a Melitta bean to cup https://www.amazon.co.uk/Melitta-F750-201-Functions-Container-Included/dp/B01LWYW3VY/ref=sr_1_20?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1533918313&sr=1-20&keywords=bean+to+cup+coffee+machines+for+home

it makes over 20 different coffees but I hardly use it as it’s such a faff, tastes good though.

It is an espresso maker so yes, it does produce a drink intended to be sipped by the thimble full. A traditional espresso serving is three fluid ounces, or about 9cl.

You can use espresso as the base for other coffees. Americano, the coffee you are more used to is made by adding hot water to give a drink of similar strength to a filter machine or cafetiere though of better flavour because the extraction of the bean is much better.  From my experience you are better to brew a full strength espresso and then dilute it with hot water if you want a longer black coffee than to try and reduce the charge in the machine to reduce the strength as that does seem to detract from the taste.

Sadly mine has been consigned to the back of the cupboard for many years, replaced by a N'espresso machine which I do love.

Coffee is one of the main food groups, along with chilli and bacon. I've been a coffee addict for years. I have two sizes of espresso coffee engines but use the filter on the boat and camping. 

Coffee of choice is Old Brown Java blended with Blue Mountain from Stokes of Lincoln. 

However, this morning I discovered that I left the coffee making hamper at home! Do I drive back to Lincoln or drink this Costa stuff from the garage? 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Coffee is one of the main food groups, along with chilli and bacon. I've been a coffee addict for years. I have two sizes of espresso coffee engines but use the filter on the boat and camping. 

Coffee of choice is Old Brown Java blended with Blue Mountain from Stokes of Lincoln. 

However, this morning I discovered that I left the coffee making hamper at home! Do I drive back to Lincoln or drink this Costa stuff from the garage? 

Pull yourself together young man!

We use a straightforward cafetiere of the French Press kind .  It is cheap,  simple and works very well.  Most decent supermarkets sell them, so readily available. Just remember to let the boiling water cool a bit before you pour it over the ground coffee. Otherwise you will miss out on the flavour "high notes" of your chosen blend, which tend to break down if the water is too hot.

Whilst travelling through France a couple of years back I stopped off at a Total service station and spotted a 24V filter coffee machine. They also did a 12V version as well, but as my fridge is 24V and close to where I would place the machine I went for the 24V version.

I tend to fill the machine with water and coffee just before going to bed and then the first person awake in the morning turns the machine on. If makes very good coffee. The only complaint would be that whilst it does have a hot plate to keep the jug warm, if the ambient temperature is particularly cold then the glass jug can lead to the coffee cooling down fairly quickly.

A quick search on Amazon has revealed the very machine that I purchased. I'm sure a search around would reveal the 12V version as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/filter-coffee-machine-Travel-Camping/dp/B00ENHJFPW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1534144064&sr=8-2&keywords=24v+coffee+maker

I love a good coffee, but I must admit I also like things pretty simple. White, no sugar not too strong. I wonder why millions of us can do just that at home every day without much thought, yet go out to some places and ask for a 'white coffee' and it all goes horrible wrong and they look at you with shock and surprise. I am not talking about fancy places either, Zizzi only the other day - I was told "Well I can make you an Americano with milk" the mind boggles.

I have not been so taken by the pod machines, simply because while they make a good coffee, there is never enough of it for my liking, then you have to detach and fill the water tank and I just revert back to good old fashion instant coffee. What I do like most though and takes me back to 'dinner parties' my parents used to have, is the simple filter coffee. We did the whole grounding with our own machine but that lasted a couple of goes - again too much messing about. So it was personally imported pre-ground foil vacuum packed stuff my Dad got from trips to Italy. It was lovely.

These days coffee machines can cost you the earth - I was amazed that the machines in all the Weatherpersons around the country cost them a cool £20,000 each and that is not including the installation and running maintenance costs through their supplier - having got speaking to a chap who was putting a new one in my local pub. I then found this filter coffee machine that makes me think you are in an American Dinner - or, an old Bernie/Beefeater who always used to have something like this with a pot of coffee likely brewed in the morning but still being kept warm come eight at night.

bravilor-bonamat-novo-coffee-machine-p2190-7658_image.thumb.jpg.94c94790e12136682ec9b72a3f942db2.jpg

Enough brewing capacity for a small army, and about as simply as it gets. Just add good ground coffee :)

25 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

the machines in all the Weatherpersons around the country cost them a cool £20,000 each

Wow! The community cafe in the village just bought a new complete set up, 3 head barista machine (the kind you find in coffee shops), Grinder, Grinds draw plus all the prep accessories, and a load of freebies, (15k of beans, 3000 cups, replacement filters etc) for a tad under £4k all in. I think the cost explodes when you start to talk "automatic", viz a viz the costa machines in service stations, wetherspoons etc, which actually don't make very good coffee.

• Like 1

A caffetiere is what I use in a morning and Taylors Rich Italian. If you buy ready ground coffee it will be fresh when you open it because the bags are flushed with inert gas, however once opened it is essential to seal the packet as best you can and most importantly refridgerate it.

Good choice Chris ive topped up bean supplies this morning for the delonghi machine which is simple to use and makes great coffee.

I got that for my 50th birthday, 55 next week now we’re did that 5 years go?

John

307DBD7A-BEE8-46B0-B7DB-A60CEDF2D805.jpeg

60B5ABAD-F897-4493-A481-EF3963B38DE0.jpeg

After spending my working life rising at 05:45, and gulping down a scalding mug of Nescafe Instant, I can't stand the stuff in any form. Give me a nice cuppa tea, anytime. In fact, in my early teens, I used to have a pint mug of tea . . . and then a top up!

52 minutes ago, finny said:

Blimey don't know if I could cope with all that farting around first thing ?

Open the lid douwe Egberts good spoon full good splash of milk - job done 

You can cut the faff down even further by getting someone else to do it for you :default_wink: