Summer Meet No Longer Nbn Official Event

Polly

Sorry to announce that we have withdrawn the Summer Meet from the NBN Calendar; always a smaller attendance than the big Spring Gathering; we were unable to have a team member as organiser this year, and we have let Beccles YS know that NBN are not there in any official capacity. That said, the individual boat bookings are not cancelled unless owners wish to cancel themselves, so a few folk will be about and moored together. We hope they have a good weekend.

• Thanks 1

I have every sympathy for that person - and indeed would hate my post to be construed as criticism of anyone.  However, I would like to know what constitutes an 'official' event, and why there are not measures in place to guard against such eventualities.  If you're going to authorise any event as official, then surely it is incumbent upon you to make sure it takes place.

For the meet to go ahead, an organiser has to be someone from the staff, for the liability insurance to be in force, as the organiser has had to take a step back, to look after a sick relative. No suitable member was available to take over, at such short notice. So we had to make the call, that it was no longer an official meet.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1

The Summer Meet fell victim to hospital appointments and necessary stepping back from the two members originally in the frame for organising this. 

It became official at the behest of Beccles YS, not ours. Once there wasn’t a team member to action and monitor the risk assessment Beccles YS made a condition of group booking we changed the status of the event. Individual bookings were honoured by the HM without hesitation and the team was able to step back. 

It is a disappointment and we are already looking at how to avoid disappointing members next year. 

It is perhaps timely to remind posters that the team is a voluntary one. 

The people who actually signed up for the meet were very gracious in the face of the status change.

• Thanks 1

I guess one of the differences is if one person rings up and makes a block reservation for 20 boats then its obviously a meet of some kind, as opposed to 20 individuals ringing up and making individual bookings. If you make individual bookings then there is no guarantee you will be next to each other. On the other hand if someone makes a block booking, then they can request they are close to each other. At this point if I was a member of staff at the yacht station I would be wondering how well organised this meet might be. Will there be tents and a BBQ? How might it impact other visitors to the yacht station. Will there be obstructions along the quay heading that might cause safety concerns for other visitors. Might it get a bit boisterous? Will there be music? Will it go on late into the evening etc. etc.

• Thanks 1

Yes, but how does this affect the present case? The booking was made, presumably members expressed their intention of attending,  and now it is withdrawn from the calendar at a moment's notice.  I'm sure Beccles YS couldn't give a d...n whether or not the NBN  are there in an OFFICIAL capacity.  They had a booking, now it's withdrawn. Those responsible have sullied the name of this forum throughout Broadland.

As of July 1st there were 8 boats confirmed as attending, info taken from the meet thread. Since then 2 have pulled out anyway, one of which was a NBN team member. So it looks like an official booking of eight boats has become 6 individual bookings. Not really a big deal to be getting so concerned about, especially if you weren't attending anyway.

I'm sure if you fancied going along on the day, you'll find a few forumites to chat too.

• Like 4

Ok I will try again: the individual bookings were honoured. The Yacht Station were completely helpful, the members were gracious. 

The requirement for risk assessments etc that made it in that sense official were not required once we were not turning up with tentage and supporting events.

I fail to appreciate the inflation of this issue to a major problem, disappointing, yes, Earth shattering, no. 

Did we take the decision lightly? No. Are we still giving the matter thought? Yes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, Polly said:

Ok I will try again: the individual bookings were honoured. The Yacht Station were completely helpful, the members were gracious. 

The requirement for risk assessments etc that made it in that sense official were not required once we were not turning up with tentage and supporting events.

I fail to appreciate the inflation of this issue to a major problem, disappointing, yes, Earth shattering, no. 

Did we take the decision lightly? No. Are we still giving the matter thought? Yes. 

Really? - and still no empathy for those whose plans have been overturned?

overturned? those that were going are still going, they will still meet up, chat and share a drink or two, those who planned to attend by car can still do so, and join in, there just wont be a forum team member in attendance, we tried to replace the organiser, but people were not available due to prior commitments or inability to change their plans at this late stage.

• Like 2

Can I just say , that those who are lucky enough to make the "unofficial " meet , I hope and I'm sure you will, all have great time . I'd like to think , that I will make it along to one , where I will look forward to saying hello , and sharing a wee whisky with some good people.

I can see , on this thread for example, how being a mod/tech on here , could be a tedious thankless task.

Well , I take this opportunity to thank you all.   IMO it's still inhabitated by very very good people in the majority.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

I really don't see what the problem is here, a bunch of like minded people getting together on the water, catching up over a drink and a laugh, unofficial or official. I hope the person who had to step back is okay, nothing too serious, I wish them well

I also don't see how the forum name has been sullied across Broadland because a meeting between friends has become 'unofficial'. Attempts at causing friction is more likely to sully reputation

Have a great time everyone

Grace

• Like 13
  • Thanks 7