Sealer

Owing to a misunderstanding between my wife and I (apparently I  "wasn't listening!) we left our boat with a leak over our grand daughters bed. We are going back today so I may need to sort this out whilst it is raining. It must be getting in around the handrails so I am hoping just to unscrew a little and get some sealer underneath. (Optomism). I remember reading of some very effective sealer that can be applied in the wet-can anyone advise please? Thanks. 

To give it its full title:- Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure  -  It's good stuff and does just what it says on the bottle.  We have used it far too many times tbh

Griff

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Captain-Tolleys-Creeping-Crack-sealer/dp/B003T6EJ9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534058048&sr=8-1&keywords=captain+tolleys+creeping+crack+cure

• Like 1

Had to use it in anger on the window in a rented caravan when we were up on the Solway wildfowling and it did indeed effect a cure.

For permanent repair I like Dow Corning Geocel Marine Sealant. Will cure under water etc and it is available in small quantities. Unless doing a large job I find however well I seal the tube after use when I come to use it again it has set solid.

I do thank you guys for these and other such posts. I usually read about various products, remedies and suchlike and invariably find myself thinking how useful something might be. I bookmark anything I think may be of interest and, when the time is right, mention it to the boss. Sometimes he’s quite impressed and I can see him thinking ‘mmm, perhaps she does have her uses’!! So, thank you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

When sealing stanchion bases or anything else thats screwed or bolted down you will get better results with a sealant thats compressible.  Basic silicone sealants tend to be squeezed out which doesnt leave much of a gasket between the mating surfaces. 

I used to use Sikaflex but now I prefer to use CT1 in clear if its for exterior fittings as i think it cleans up leaving a neater finish.  

Captain Tolleys is good to use around window frames where the silicone between the glass & frame leaks but as said it has to be run in dry or it will continue running through, not set and just end up making a mess. If used dry it can hold up for a long time if your lucky but many times the only reliable way to sort it out is with a proper window refurb/reseal. I have done this myself and found captain tolleys in the frame wet months after putting in so as good as it can be it can still be hit & miss.  Its certainly a worthwhile emergency item to have onboard. 

Leaking windows espeacially if onto beds or bedding can be a big PITA and I think really spoil the onboard experience.

• Like 2

Hi John I use geocel 201 it's a frame sealer that's uv resistance it sets like a hard rubber if you place under a fitting don't tighten leave a little loose then when it has hardened of screw up tight, oh and don't forget a smear under the screw heads.John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 08:16, BroadAmbition said:

To give it its full title:- Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure  -  It's good stuff and does just what it says on the bottle.  We have used it far too many times tbh

Griff

If shares ever come up for B.A, you can count me out. :default_biggrin:

• Haha 1