Gratuities?

Ray

Thank you for the replies, I have tended to although my crew was doubtful about it. Last week though we were talking to the very helpful and interesting guy while he did the job and it was apparent that he was a yard owner and succesful businessman and I couldn't help but feel that a tip would be almost insulting, so I didn't give one that that time... and have felt vaguely uncomfortable about it since.

It's not the most pleasant job and so far we've always had a chat about boats and broads etc and a tip "felt" right and seemed to be appreciated.

I guess I'll just continue to play it by ear :12_slight_smile:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ray said:

I guess I'll just continue to play it by ear 

I agree, I would most likely not offer a tip if I knew it was the owner or if the service wasn't very good. No disrespect to the owner of course! We had a case at Horning Marina services when the tide was so high Mrs Nog had difficulty getting ashore. Although the guys were busy working on a boat they came out and helped us moor and were very helpful. Tip proffered and accepted :default_biggrin: I don't suppose Boatyard staff generally have his 'n' hers Range Rovers :default_norty:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ray said:

Do you add a tip when paying for a pump out?

Yes , especially when getting a pump out at Hippersons because the guys there go above and beyond to help you moor and are friendly and really do a good job.   Always have done with them.   I always disguise it by saying ,  get your children  an ice cream when you are next out with them.

I think certain roles are more suited to tips than others.  Baby sitters waiters/waitresses there must be more.

Do we have a tip etiquette in the UK? 

I tip in situations I think are appropriate but in restaurants when making card payments I always fear the tip wont reach the person it was intended for, I have also heard of places that dont let their staff keep tips or they only get a percentage not sure if that kind of thing still goes on.  

Imagine my suprise in the USA where they actually give you time to work out your 20% tip on the bill before they take your payment.  

Being from Yorkshire I found this slightly nauseating! :default_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In restaurants I tip the waiting staff in cash after settling my bill by card, it's the closest you can get to hopefully making sure the intended recipient gets it.

I dislike very much being handed a card reader that says "Gratuity? Y/N"

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Ray said:

In restaurants I tip the waiting staff in cash after settling my bill by card, it's the closest you can get to hopefully making sure the intended recipient gets it.

I dislike very much being handed a card reader that says "Gratuity? Y/N"

Same here, tip in cash,  

Gets my back up when a tip is automaticly added aka a "service charge" . I wonder were that goes.

We went to Switzerland on a skiing holiday staying at my father-in-law's, we went into a restaurant in Zürich and as he had paid towards our airfare I thought it Only right to pay for the meal which I did and attempted to give a tip which he said no that will be taken as an insult, But I think in the UK it is an insult not to give a tip, this, of course, is in restaurants, As for pump outs horrible messy job definitely deserves a tip.

I have never thought about tipping for a pump out, but to be honest I also see the pump out as one of the biggest annoyances in costs in boat ownership on the Broads.

It is inescapable though, just as paying your Tolls are, or getting fuel - but need it you must. What causes me the greatest unhappiness is the variation in charges for the same thing and how high some of those charges can be.

When Independence was moored in Plymouth all the berth holders had a free to use, self service pump out service on a jetty in the Marina. I have seen videos from people living on their boats over in America where a pump out point is installed along the pontoon for every two berths, so people may use it when they need to and again it is included in their mooring fee.

I know not all  boatyards are connected to mains sewage, and this means that they have to cover the costs of literally getting rid of other peoples waste , but where they are connected you are basically sucking out waste and putting it down a pipe into the sewage system. They are not billed on a per litre amount of effluent they put into the system so then I wonder, honestly how much 'wear and tear' does the pump actually take and need in maintenance? How much electricity does it really use - I could go on, but to charge say £15.00 or  £18.00 to remove less than 100 litres of waste water I think is over the top, even more so when there are a self service systems that costs almost as much.

I wish there were places that you could just tie up to and get a pump out whatever the time of day or period in the season and pay a realistic price, tap your card and be back on your way again.

I don't know details of the overheads but just as in domestic situations waste is paid seperately from supply and either an assesment or a meter will be the basis of charges, so personally I'm happy to pay.

On top of that there is employee's time in giving a personal service, so in most cases charges seem reasonable (there are exceptions!)

As far as gratuities are concerned none of the above is under the control of the pump out operative who without exception in my experience give service with a smile and a pleasant exchange.. despite it not being a pleasant job!

I doubt it is a very well paid job and I imagine if at the end of the day one or two customers have offered "a drink" then it's been a good day.

• Like 2

Funnily enough I was at Womack today when a holiday makers asked me where he could get a pump out. He had been on the boat two days. Four adults, four children. The three toilet's were all reading full. There was only one holding tank.

I directed him to the pump out facility on the quay heading. He also asked me how much it would cost him.

I told him to enquire at the shop which managed the facility.

Firstly should the toilets have filled up after two days. Had they been instructed as to how to use the toilets properly and finally on what basis should they have been charged. One, two or three toilet's.

Andrew

Robin says: "but where they are connected you are basically sucking out waste and putting it down a pipe into the sewage system."

I don't know if any Water Authorities allow this. At more that one boatyard we were based at when we had a share in a narrowboat the Water Authority didn't allow it because of the "blue" that the sewage contained.

Roy

6 minutes ago, Wussername said:

Funnily enough I was at Womack today when a holiday makers asked me where he could get a pump out. He had been on the boat two days. Four adults, four children. The three toilet's were all reading full. There was only one holding tank.

I directed him to the pump out facility on the quay heading. He also asked me how much it would cost him.

I told him to enquire at the shop which managed the facility.

Firstly should the toilets have filled up after two days. Had they been instructed as to how to use the toilets properly and finally on what basis should they have been charged. One, two or three toilet's.

Andrew

Pumpouts are usually charged per tank.

I can see the sense in all 3 toilets being fed to one tank but not if the tank is only big enough to take 2 days worth, theres always the chance the toilets were being over used or the tank wasnt empty to start with I suppose. 

We will be of to Goodchilds tomorrow for a pump out. Just the two of us onboard and last pumpout three weeks ago. Not sure if we are full but getting a bit smelly if you are outside when one of us pumps the toilet. It could be because it's been so warm but will have to fit a gauge. More money:facepalm:

When we are in Thorpe, our other boat needs a pumpout every two weeks. This is a diy service but is included in our weekly services charge of £5 which include waste (rubbish) disposal, electricity connection and water. I will agree that it is not the best job in the world but approached in the right way does not have to be messy. 

As for giving tips. That depends on the service I get. I will be generous if it's deserved.

We were told by Goodchilds man that some boats they now charge double where they have four toilets! (£32). Thankfully we only have two. 

Colin:default_wub::default_winko::default_winko:

p.s. Forgot to add our pumpout at Thorpe has just been rebuilt at what cost, I don't know but it is driven by a 7Kw 3phase motor.

5 hours ago, eddybear said:

We went to Switzerland on a skiing holiday staying at my father-in-law's, we went into a restaurant in Zürich and as he had paid towards our airfare I thought it Only right to pay for the meal which I did and attempted to give a tip which he said no that will be taken as an insult, But I think in the UK it is an insult not to give a tip, this, of course, is in restaurants, As for pump outs horrible messy job definitely deserves a tip.

It is the same in Australia, unusual for a country  that mirrors the US in some ways tipping is frowned upon. Whatever job you are doing they pride themselves on paying well, and tipping is saying that you are working for an employer who does not pay a fair rate for the job.

6 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

Pumpouts are usually charged per tank.

I can see the sense in all 3 toilets being fed to one tank but not if the tank is only big enough to take 2 days worth, theres always the chance the toilets were being over used or the tank wasnt empty to start with I suppose. 

Could one argue that the volume of the tank is for three toilet's and that the owner of the equipment has to pay for the disposal to the local water/sewage authority accordingly. I really don't know.

On a different tack. Many many years ago I remember one bogerolagist who on taking payment worked on the principle that every other payment was his and was trousererd in an old aged tradition. The governer had the rest.

Andrew

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Wussername said:

Could one argue that the volume of the tank is for three toilet's and that the owner of the equipment has to pay for the disposal to the local water/sewage authority accordingly. I really don't know.

I dont think it would be totally unreasonable if they did. 

• Like 1

Tipping for a pump out... no

It's a service advertised for a price, that's it.

I also don't understand this "it's a dirty job" sentiment, it doesn't seem that dirty to me, it's not like I'm asking someone to stick their bare hands into the tank and scoop stuff out...all they have to do is connect a hose.

Having said that I will always tip or some other form of thanks (usually beer) to show appreciation of service or help beyond what could reasonably be expected.

Slightly off topic, but one of my tanks now has a gauge on....how long before I recover the cost on having fewer pump outs.......

(I know the answer is never):default_biggrin:

Crumbs (sorry about the italics - cannot get rid of it)  some folk go two weeks ,  when we are on board , private or hire ,  three days and we are looking for a pump out facility.      I know at times we talk a load of crap but I dont think we over do the other kind.