Pubs On The River With Garden

Harvey

Hi, 

I will be meeting family in Oulton Broad later this week.

I want to take them out for a drive around the area and wondered if anyone could recommend a nice pub,

one that has a garden overlooking the river so we can eat, relax and watch the boats go by.

Anywhere north of Oulton Broad say within 25 miles.

Thanks in advance 

On the Southern Broads you could sit outside The Nelson at Reedham, or Reedham Ferry and be by the water. Not really gardens, but patios. The Ship Inn at Reedham is more of a garden but quite close to the swing bridge and the view is quite limited, especially if boats are moored alongside.

The Bell at St Olaves has a nice riverside garden, but the boat traffic is more limited due to the low road bridge.

Probably the better locations would be The Coldham Hall Tavern Brundall or The Ferry at Surlingham. Both have nice gardens and good long views up or down the river.

Further up river you have The Waters Edge Bramerton with a nice outside decking area and good views of the river.

If your looking for good plentiful pub grub, then The Ferry Surlingham would probably meet all your requirements the best.

• Like 3

Perhaps 'The Bell' at St. Olaves might fit the bill, only a short drive from Oulton Broad. Hope the weather is nice for sitting in a pub garden, later this week (thunderstorms forecast for later today). :12_slight_smile:

No one has mentioned Geldeston Locks! Doddle to find by road, not, but well worth searching for. Make sure that you have cash, they don't do cards. Spin your guest's visit out by a week then The Commodore at Oulton Broad will have a grandstand view of Oulton Broad Regatta and the food is good. Unless you like long queues avoid the Bell at weekends but it's a great place during the week and it's easy to find. The Waveney at Beccles is obviously in Beccles, would you believe, and it's a really delightful country town well worth visiting. However North of Oulton Broad does really limit you to St Olaves.

I must say Geldeston Locks is one of my favourites and one of the best pubs on the Broads IMHO. However its maybe not quite so good for boats passing by as its at the end of the navigation and fewer boats can get under Beccles Bridge.  Going North from Oulton Broad by road I guess you would have to go through Yarmouth. Horning is probably the best place on the Broads for sheer volume and variety of boats, yachts and everything else in between passing by. The Swan and New Inn have riverside terraces (rather than gardens) but riverside activity a plenty. Likewise the terrace outside the Hotel Wroxham is a real grandstand for boating activity.

I would heartily endorse the Surlingham Ferry as has been mentioned. Excellent pub and a fair bit of traffic on the main river.

The Bridge at Acle is excellent but the garden is partially screened by the flood bank so you don't get such a good view from your table. I love the Ship at Reedham although since the fence was erected by the river the view is a bit restricted particularly if those large boats are still there. You do get the trains as well. Rushcutters is good too but river traffic limited by the low bridges.

It maybe depends what the OP is looking for, for example is distance an issue, are children involved etc etc. Which is more important, the food, the garden or boating activity. Plenty to think about!

• Like 2

Just thinking about this. If you ask 20 people for pub recommendations you will get 20 different answers. Everyone has their 'pet' pubs and equally those they clearly dislike. It's difficult sometimes to get a truly impartial view. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that. 

The truth is there are no dreadful pubs on the Broads. There are a few I dislike but wouldn't try to put others off. I think sometimes it's best to take a step back and look through the eyes of the person asking for recommendations. 

:default_gbxhmm:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I agree Mr N. I also believe any pub Harvey chooses he will be on to a winner, Having a drink in a pub on the Broads over looking the river is a win win situation in my book

Never been in a bad one yet but Surlingham is a safe bet, if you go in on a Sunday have the Roast, one of the best on the Broads in my opinion

Grace

• Like 3

21 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

On the Southern Broads you could sit outside The Nelson at Reedham, or Reedham Ferry and be by the water. Not really gardens, but patios. The Ship Inn at Reedham is more of a garden but quite close to the swing bridge and the view is quite limited, especially if boats are moored alongside.

The Bell at St Olaves has a nice riverside garden, but the boat traffic is more limited due to the low road bridge.

Probably the better locations would be The Coldham Hall Tavern Brundall or The Ferry at Surlingham. Both have nice gardens and good long views up or down the river.

Further up river you have The Waters Edge Bramerton with a nice outside decking area and good views of the river.

If your looking for good plentiful pub grub, then The Ferry Surlingham would probably meet all your requirements the best.

Just a point, Coldham Hall is OPPOSITE Brundall, in Surlingham on the south bank. A bit of a detour required if you try to get there by road from Brundall!

Love the Surlingham Ferry, best pub imo on the broads, and there's plenty to choose from

Great beer, great food, lovely garden, bookable moorings and super dog friendly, plus Sonia and her staff are fantastic

Maybe I should buy shares in it?  :default_beerchug:

Another not mentioned (I think) is the Ferry at Stokesby?

• Like 2

Coldham Hall at Surlingham serves a nice pint of San Miguel whilst you watch the boats go by

Personally I also like the Hotel Wroxham

The Kings Head, Hoveton (warning, food complaints incoming)

The Bell at St Olaves

The Ferry Inn at Stokesby (Best Pool Table Ever)

Throwing one out there The Beauchamp Arms at Langley :default_gbxhmm:

But the best must be The Ferry House at Surlingham

Yes I like pubs :default_smile:

There isn't a bad choice really though Harvey.

Anyone who thinks a broads pub is dreadful wants to come take an evening in our local (riot gear and shield compulsary) :default_smiley-angelic002: