2016 Version Of Swallows And Amazons

ChrisB

1 minute ago, grendel said:

give me the 1974 version any day, I mean where do spies and seaplanes come into the books, or daring escapes on train roofs.

And there is me having just washed my Nancy Blackett Trust polo shirt especially for the viewing. Bah!!!20180814_155848.thumb.jpg.2b1a7016ec74ae01bf73984516f343e2.jpg

• Like 1

I tend to agree if that is the case. No need to make reference however slight to the fact that he was monitored by MI5 from the end of WW1 to 1937 and was considered by some to be a double agent.

Perhaps there was a feeling of great unease after the author of one of the greatest sailing stories " Riddle of the Sands"  Erskine Childers ended his life in front of a firing even after an exemplary previous military career.

A bit heavy but "Six weeks in Russia - 1919" is a Ransome worth reading.

• Like 2

I am currently just finishing Swallows and Amazons, an audiobook recording. I first read it around 60 years ago but couldn’t remember very much of it and I am enjoying it tremendously. I’m not sure if I shall watch the programme on BBC on Sunday as I think it will probably spoil it for me. I have been trying to imagine today’s kids being able to behave like those Swallows and Amazons but sadly I can’t see it with all the nannying that goes on now not to mention the fact that most kids couldn’t be without their mobiles for more than 5 minutes! A truly different world. 

35 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

So political correctness prevented Titty from being called Titty in the 2106 version? Long may Titties remain Titties!

Alas yes. In recent versions of the famous five Aunt Fanny has become Aunt Frannie and Dick has become Rick. How long I wonder before we see Chris Packham on Springwatch talking about nesting pairs of Blue Cyanistes?

3 hours ago, grendel said:

the 1974 version is very true to the book, as is the 1980's rendition of coot club and big six in the form of the tv series  (swallows and amazons forever) set on the broads, both are available on dvd.

There is a lot missing from the Big Six, and especially Coot Club, though I suppose that is the pressure of slimming the novels to around 75 minutes of TV. In essence though the storylines remain much the same. I am not sure I want spies and such adding.

6 hours ago, grendel said:

Perhaps marrying Tolstoys secretary did not help his career

Slip of the fingers I guess Grendel

Evgemia Ransome was Trotskys Secretary.

Tolstoy was the guy who wrote War and Peace.

Anyway I agree with  you the 1974 version of the film was far better.

Why do they need to mess about adding things that are not in the books.

12 minutes ago, Arthur said:

Why do they need to mess about adding things that are not in the books.

The later remakes of the Marple series by ITV is a case in point. Some of the episodes are totally different to the original novels, some re-written completely to feature Miss Marple when she did not appear in the original. Sadly, you can easily tell when the story line has been altered. TV scriptwriters are not in the same class as Ms Christie when it comes to a good crime novel. 

• Like 1

I recently watched "A walk in the woods" . Very disappointing and nothing like Bill Bryson's excellent book.

Have to say it was unusual because Robert Redford is a stickler to keeping to the story as written. His version of "The Great Gatsby" is a true likeness to F. Scott Fitzgerald's work.

11 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

So political correctness prevented Titty from being called Titty in the 2106 version? Long may Titties remain Titties!

Didn’t they change it to Tatty in an earlier version too? The audiobook I have been listening to calls her Titty and it just becomes another word. I had a great-aunt called Auntie Hilda, apparently I couldn’t say Auntie when I was little and it became Tete- pronounced Teetee. The whole family called her that until the day she died aged 93. 

How nice Cris.   When i was a apprentice many years ago, there was one of the  engineers called ******(  the same name as guy gibsons  dog) never found out why no body found it unusual to shout out his name across the workshop the same as you would sam/fred he had a very slight tan but?.he was a very nice chap was always helpful and a good tradesman. John

there is some degree of how shall I put it 'mucky word' filtering built into the forum software, unfortunately it (like many other pieces of software) only recognises american mucky words and tends to replace them or star them out accordingly, thus it is you can probably no longer say bobs your uncle and fanny's your aunt.