2016 Version Of Swallows And Amazons

ChrisB

well there are 11 pages of 'mucky words' in the filter guy gibsons dog has nearly 3 pages of variants that will be **** out, and yes most of them are of american origin. (though if we happen to catch you using good old british swearwords in context you will be in trouble

3 hours ago, grendel said:

probably got away with that because I used an english spelling. or proper punctuation.

I guess the system realises that if you are using proper punctuation you must be speaking English, nor "American English", in the same way when spelling realises with an S, not a Zeeeeeeee

I had a shooting discipline deleted from Griff's game shooting thread. I had no idea why until I saw the word in an Urban American Dictionary. Certainly I have never heard of it over here as obscene.

Screenshot_20180815-145528.thumb.png.680371911d2f2e5152df0c314bb48e0b.png

I still have the complete set of AR's S&A series - most are original hardbacks (the copy of Secret Water shows "16s" (shillings) on the inside cover).  The first book I read at age 9 or 10 was "Coot Club" which I found in a cupboard of the classroom at junior school.  I believe I saw a few episodes of the 1963 TV series (we didn't own a TV back then) & (just as with the Hobbit & LoR) I have not & will not see modern filmings as it would spoil the vision I have from back then.

Nowadays one has to read these books in their historical content - which youngster now would understand that half of Pigeon Post is taken up with the subject of carrier pigeons whereas today the reaction would be "why didn't they use their cell phone?"

• Like 1

I started reading AR at school. I had a very studious big sister who taught me to read before I started school, which was a bit of a problem for my 1st year teacher, Miss Bevan. They gave up with the National Curriculum "Peter & Jane" series as I was already beyond that stage. By the end of year 1 I was choosing my own books from the school Library. Sadly there was no Harry Potter or Alex Rider back then, so for me it was Rosemary Sutcliffe and Arthur Ransome. They remain some of my favourite books to this day. 

• Like 1

On 14/08/2018 at 15:28, ChrisB said:

Will be screened on BBC1 at 17.05 on Sunday 19th August.

Don't waste your time ! It was appalling ! 'Titty' renamed as 'Tatty' to protect American sensitivities.. And spies? Where did they come in to the story ? Utter RUBBISH! 

3 hours ago, Paul said:

I started reading AR at school. I had a very studious big sister who taught me to read before I started school,

I think that was often the case, long ago. I started school in 1959 aged 5 and was reading 'The Wind in the Willows' during my first school year. Put simply, we didn't have a television until I was eight and in a fairly rural area, all we had were books and the radio to keep us entertained. I still read a lot and rarely watch TV, so not much has changed...

One of my sisters is a 'reception class' teacher, she maintains teaching the little ones to read, is the least of her problems. Some are bought into school not even 'potty trained' and still sucking dummies. Makes you wonder what sort of chance the poor little buggers have got in life... :38_worried:

9 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Well done, BBC, I enjoyed it! I recorded it & will enjoy it again. Okay, not Ransom as some might demand or expect, but as a modern take on an old theme I thought it very good, despite no Titty!

I concur completely.

• Thanks 1

We were on the Broads when Coot Club was being filmed and still watch the DVD with the, Grandkids .Have a cine film some where which I must dig out taken at different times during filming ,remember they were doing the Braydon scenes with fog machines and such ,now days it would all by added by   Effects in the post editing I am sure .Been a Ransome fan since that  first book from the school library .A  good source of his stuff was available in the Horning Post Office .

We would always visit the church when in Coniston to pay our respects at the resting place of Donald Campbell, a hero of mine when growing up. The drive along the Eastern lakeside, through the woods is a favourite and gives a good view of Peel Island and the other island which I think is Fir Island. 

I would love to walk Sharp Edge and Striding Edge one last time but would not trust my balance these days.

• Like 1