Boat canopies

So, back in June, I placed an order for an Acrylic Canvas canopy with HMC, and now await to see if they are 'true to their word', and supply the canopy within the contracted 'time scale'.

HMC tell that they have visted my boat, taken all the necessary meaasurements, and will be fitting the canopy towards the end of next week. Comfortably within their agreed time scale. :clap

Dave

• 1 month later...

Sorry to ressurect an old post but I just wanted to comment on the failing of the vinyl canopy on the Viking. We recently bought a 3 year old Viking and the canopy roof sections are shot. The front one seems to have lost its coating and is showing signs of being transparent and the rear section has gone black. Both have become brittle too.

The back and side panels are fine and still look very nice. We moor in Broadsedge and there are a couple of other "newish" vikings, 2-3 years old who also have discovered that their canopies are failing. I know that both of these boats have been on the broads from new and certainly ours came from the river Ouse in Cambridgeshire, which pretty much rules out the aircraft fuel theory.

I think the fundamental problem here is that Viking have tried to cut costs and perhaps have specified inferior material in trying to do so. It is just too coincidental that newish Vikings all seem to be experiencing the same problem.

We have only had our boat since July but know that we now need to look into getting a new canopy............

Paul

Hi Paul, that's exactly how the canopy on our 2006 Viking 24 went :(

It was already at that stage when we bought the boat at 3 years old, and this fact was refelected in the price we agreed to pay for the boat.

I suspect that around that time, Viking may have changed the canopy material suppliers, or that batch of material was sub-standard.

I say this because I raised the issue on the Viking owners forum, and was told that some boats still had very servicable vinyl canopies that were 7 to 10 years old.

However, for the sake of spending a couple of hundred pounds more, I opted for the new canopy to made from Acrylic Canvas. Albeit replacement canopies of either material, are not a cheap items.

I have kept the old canopy, and will be putting it back on the boat for the winter, with a tarpaulin over it. The new canopy will be coming home and stored in the garage until I put back on in the spring.

Dave