Real Boats!!

JennyMorgan

It is interesting to hear the same types of discussion on class rules being debated here about the RCC as you do in any development class ie Merlin rockets/ National 12.

However it seems that they have allowed the class to thrive, where as a lot of the development class’s of dinghy have lost favour to One Designs as people feel they promote fairer and closer racing...

I am used to racing on the south coast where big boats, with big rigs and a large crew and massive budgets are the norm. But seeing the large masted RCC when I visit the broads always takes my breath away.

I think the massive amount of canvass up, verses the low freeboard fills me with total admiration and terror!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

• Like 1

As far as the Broads is concerned the Merlin Rocket, for example, is now as rare as Dodo poo so there is a warning there! 

Yes the same down here, a few stalwarts but the expensive has lead to their demise.

Everyone at my club favours RS 200/400 type of class.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

• 2 weeks later...

I think c.ricko is correct on the pic from the lion being ladybird in hire guise, the length of the foredeck doesn’t marry with any of the rest of the hire fleet and it is fact that she went from racer to hire fleet before being racerructed, what is notable is the way in which hw converted her that looks so in keeping with the fleet to the point, no pun intended, that we are debating whether it is the good lady herself. I’m sure a former owner of the Smuggler told me that Ladybird was punted as the yacht for the racing minded hirer, again no pun...

Could someone tell me what class "Cuckoo" is I thought she may be some form of "A Rater" but I can't find her name on their register. Her bow is like a "Star" but LOA is too great. Rig too high for a "Punt"  maybe I am being trickedbecause she is under covers.

covers.20180913_133911.thumb.jpg.1944d472f49a553ec38d9c88340e313b.jpg

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Could someone tell me what class "Cuckoo" is I thought she may be some form of "A Rater" but I can't find her name on their register. Her bow is like a "Star" but LOA is too great. Rig too high for a "Punt"  maybe I am being trickedbecause she is under covers.

covers.20180913_133911.thumb.jpg.1944d472f49a553ec38d9c88340e313b.jpg

She is registered as a River cruiser sail number 215 and sails off 12%. The builder was R Farrer and was built in 1982  

• Thanks 1

On 29/08/2018 at 07:45, Poppy said:

Tell that to the River Cruiser Class..... 

More of a 'clique' than any other group on the Broads I'm afraid .

two were built before the mould was destroyed, the other being 'farthing"  which has a different rig. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, C.Ricko said:

two were built before the mould was destroyed, the other being 'farthing"  which has a different rig. 

farthing is now down on Oulton Broad, moored in Oulton Dyke.  If I remember correctly the mould was actually a former that was clad, planked up, using closed cell foam and then glassed over inside and out, sandwich construction. In their day real eye-stopper boats, especially as farthing tended to be crewed by good looking fillies!

• Like 3

Having heard on this thread how the river cruiser class is thriving etc it was with some surprise that this is destined to meet the chainsaw in the next few days. 

20180910_174725.thumb.jpg.6ad738855301699789f3320cd81ed729.jpg

'Shruff' was built in 1936 by Earnest Collins as one of his Mayfly class but is now unloved unwanted and unlikely to be here this time next week. 

A sad day for such a thriving fleet?

• Sad 2

That is so so sad.  I was shocked when I saw so many boats behind the shed in far worse states at Martham but they keep them for parts as I understand it?  Shruff looks pretty much complete. I really want to say - NBN DIY SOS anyone? 

The problem is you either need an awful lot of time on your hands and the skills required for a full restoration or very, very deep pockets.

Sadly commodities possessed by just a few these days.

The line twix "Full Restoration" and "New Build" can at times be very thin and faint.

7 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

Having heard on this thread how the river cruiser class is thriving etc it was with some surprise that this is destined to meet the chainsaw in the next few days. 

'Shruff' was built in 1936 by Earnest Collins as one of his Mayfly class but is now unloved unwanted and unlikely to be here this time next week. 

The problem is Dave there are loads for sale at the moment and a lot under £10g, unless you have a personal connection with a boat most would just buy one ready to go.

• Like 2

at the moment I am watching a youtube channel Acorn to Arabella https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAiDWnTP0WB1xCp6uuUo0VA

they had a similar dilemma when they bought an original 1927 boat that was built to the same plans they were building Arabella to, the problems with the boat they bought were that the keel and hog were so rotten that most of the boat would have needed rebuilding to fix the problem (they had already got to this stage with their new build), so the decision was made to buy the boat for $3000 and then they had saved buying / making all of the bronze fittings, engine,propellor and shaft, mast fittings, and cabin interiors etc from the doner boat, they reckoned they could get enough timber from the boat to make up the ships dinghy, and then they would transfer the nameplate from the boat to the dinghy. This would save them a year on their construction time.

sometimes its just the fittings on a boat that retain any value. at least with Marthams they have dragged 3 of the hulks in from the yard and are busy getting them back in order, one was going to be used as a plug to make a mould to make up some new fibreglass hulls, while 2 more were being restored to go back in the hire fleet.

the hulks at martham, not only have fixtures and fittings, but also they provide templates for new parts for the existing fleet. I suppose its easier to take the cabin side off one of the hulks and get it ready to fit than it is to remove the current cabin side on a boat out on hire. minimises the down time such works would normally require. when you think that originally marthams were running up to 10 boats of each class, and in some instances are down to 1 or two of each now, this means they do have spares for them just sitting in the yard.

1 hour ago, brundallNavy said:

The problem is Dave there are loads for sale at the moment and a lot under £10g, unless you have a personal connection with a boat most would just buy one ready to go.

I see what you mean. I have just looked at Topsail Brokers listings, there are a shed load of river cruisers for sale and at not a lot of money.

57 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

I see what you mean. I have just looked at Topsail Brokers listings, there are a shed load of river cruisers for sale and at not a lot of money.

A few beauties too. Some of which have been better maintained than others, Broads heritage waiting to be loved and enjoyed. There is a Press built vintage boat in the list that I have sailed, she's a class boat to sail, well looked after too! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 29/08/2018 at 07:45, Poppy said:

When I bought Ladybird, there had been a little interest in her but had been for sale for over a year, apparently  well maintained but after chainplates replaced , 10 timbers, new bulkheads, mast, boom, sails, cabin roof, re rigged,  as well as the massive amount of painting every year and the varnishing which is never actually done, she still needs plenty of work including tabernacle replacement and cockpit bulkhead, she is not the best turned out river in the class by any means.. 

thing is she was sailing when i got her and we have kept her sailing but there is always something which needs doing, and always will be. i maintain my boats  as and when i can prioritising works but sometimes customers boats take priority! 

thing is, ladybird is no different to my white boat, launch, cruiser or any other boat i have which is  made of compostable material, ! 

• Like 4

On 17/09/2018 at 09:46, JennyMorgan said:

A few beauties too. Some of which have been better maintained than others, Broads heritage waiting to be loved and enjoyed. There is a Press built vintage boat in the list that I have sailed, she's a class boat to sail, well looked after too! 

https://www.topsail.co.uk/boat.php?refnum=1969#images

This one has my name on it!

On 16/09/2018 at 23:34, JanetAnne said:

My brother will be sad to hear this. Shruff has been lengthened and sailed with a bowsprit and was in recent years usually seen sailing with Green Wyverns.  My brother owns Mayfly 1 which he tendered with loving care since the early 70s. 

4 hours ago, grendel said:

they appear to be using the push and go stick rather than sailing in that picture.

of course how hard they are pushing cannot be Quantified.

No they are not. They are tactically marking the position at which they went about, in order to establish an overlap, as leeward boat when rounding the next mark. A common tactic, but you have to be mast abeam of the helmsman before carrying it out. All very simple really, when you know the rules.   :594c04f0e761f_default_AnimatedGifVehiclessaily: