Windows 10 Updates, Again .... Again

Paul

I updated windows 10 a few weeks ago, as I imagine most people have. Since that update it seems to have been a bit slower (bear in mind I'm I7, two trillion gb of ram, SSD etc etc). My laptop just didn't seem to be zipping about like it did. I did all the cleaning jobs I normally do. Registry clean, crap clean, etc etc, but no effect.

This morning I noticed the battery monitor was showing "plugged in, not charging". I deleted the battery and charger in device manager, shut down, unplugged, removed the battery the reconnected everything and switched back on. Not only is the battery now charging but the machine seems to have regained it's old zip. Startup from power off is about four seconds, from sleep in about one second. Programs open almost instantly and no lag on some of the more demanding games that I occasionally play.

If your machine is struggling try it.

• Like 1

because its a big old (2005) CAD machine with added hard drives, I am contemplating an old server from a computer recycling company if I cant fix it.

getting 6 red flashes which seems to indicate a video fault, going to try one of my spare graphics cards.

Gren check out the HP microservers GEN8 or GEN 10 i'm still on the N54L and it runs feeds to RB24 radarbox, weather server & Plex media server. I added a usb3 card and HDMI. Also Canon EOS software so my new camera downloads via wifi.

I put win 10 on a SSD and the other drives shut down till required so easy on the power 24/7.

I've not killed it yet. The price tends to float about but never checked HP site for there offers on these.

Latest HP win was I needed a A3 scanner and got full A3 printer scan fax etc after cashback £30 and 3 years cover. register for free ink and get 15 A3 prints free/month.

I am back up and running, however a local it recycling firm say they can do me a server with prices starting at £40, so I will be visiting them tomorrow to see what they can offer, as my existing machine is getting on for 13 years old, so even though I have spare parts enough for 3 machines, I am starting to run out of those.

14 minutes ago, Siddy said:

Gren check out the HP microservers GEN8 or GEN 10 i'm still on the N54L and it runs feeds to RB24 radarbox, weather server & Plex media server. I added a usb3 card and HDMI. Also Canon EOS software so my new camera downloads via wifi.

is there some kind of Google translator to switch that to English?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, grendel said:

I am back up and running, however a local it recycling firm say they can do me a server with prices starting at £40, so I will be visiting them tomorrow to see what they can offer, as my existing machine is getting on for 13 years old, so even though I have spare parts enough for 3 machines, I am starting to run out of those.

Unless you need REALLY high network performance, I'd suggest looking at a dedicated NAS appliance from Synology or QNAP.

All configuration is done through a browser and they can automatically backup to cloud accounts while you sleep and generally use so little power that they pay for themselves over a couple of years. There's a ton of media and sharing functionality too but I sense you are just after the basics.

• Like 1