Head Gasket

Guest mariotech

Hi Col It has a combined inlet exhaust manifold that is fresh water cooled. I ran the engine up to temp and just as it started to reach operating temp exhaust smoke started to come up from around cylinder number one on the manifold side( had to stop engine as a lot of smoke). Carried out compression test and all within limits. It failed the block test which I am putting down to the manifold.

What are your thought Col

ps found faulty glow plug which may explain lumpiness for first minute after start-up.

Mark I am rebuilding raw water pumps and cleaning heat exchangers. Checked flow rates on water pumps today and not good will compare after rebuild. I suspect the white smoke was raw water exiting the exhaust as steam.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

Yes if exhaust gas is entering the fresh water cooling system through the manifold it would fail the block test, although it wouldn't pressurise the cooling system.

I agree if it is not breathing heavy and the compressions are within tolerance the oil consumption is most probably the valve stem seals.

cheersbar