BSS - Co Alarm Consultation

vanessan

The Boat Safety Scheme - boatsafetyscheme.org - is running a public consultation on a proposal to introduce a new mandatory BSS requirement for the installation of CO alarms. The consultation is running until 9th November. Sorry, I was unable to get a linky thing but the details are on the ‘Home’ page under Latest News.

I have also agreed, and support their proposals.

Have to say that it is tinged with sadness as my very good friend Richard (Viking 23) would have loved to have seen this. He campaigned for CO detectors on boats so hard.

7 minutes ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Cannot see why this legislation has not been introduced before.

With multiple sources of Co2 on the boats on the Broads should have thought this was an obvious choice to have fitted to all craft.

Typo ftm. CO. It is the lack of the extra O molecule that makes it so deadly.

11 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

If it does become mandatory then I just hope that commonsense is applied, e.g. it won't be a requirement on an engineless open sailing boat for example!

Whilst I see where you’re coming from , an alarm fitted would alert you to your sleeping quarters being filled up with CO coming from a neighbouring boat 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Whilst I see where you’re coming from , an alarm fitted would alert you to your sleeping quarters being filled up with CO coming from a neighbouring boat 

This is something I worry about when moored in the vicinity of petrol engined cruisers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

We have had one for a number of years,so to at home.The point you raised about neighbouring boats,is a good one something that never occurred to me. In my mind although a good reason to fit co alarm.Issues such as this need to be considered. 

8 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

Remember CO alarms have an expirey date.

Check when yours is!

I change ours every 3 years to hell with the cost.

It is usually 10 years but having lost a friend to CO, the cost to him was a bit greater

paul

Very sensible, yes the pelistors have a life of 10 years but these, like other detectors be they optical or ionisation smoke detectors can be effected by the environment they are in. Boat interiors are a pretty harsh environment, they have large temp. Changes causing condensation and cooking especially frying in such a confined space can cause ingress of dirt. As you say the cost is not huge for peace of mind. Spiders and thripps can also be a pain where ionisation detectors are fitted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's worth pointing out that due to the harsher environment on boats, not all domestic carbon monoxide detectors are suitable, or certified.

I fully support fitting detectors and would suggest that people check their one is on this list.

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/294453/boat-co-alarms-may-18.pdf

Edited to add: Your really looking for the BS EN 50291-2 mark. Many domestic detectors are only certified to part 1 or -1

When we bought our falcon we fitted 2 detectors first day we got it, we have 2 Volvo petrol's and with certain breeze directions the cabin and helm can get a bit fumy.

They serve there purpose very well, we would never have a boat and not have the detectors.

I support the move to make them compulsory, to me it just makes sense.

13 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

I don't want to start any arguments but can I respectfully ask why something as important as this to the whole boating community is in members only rather than available to everyone.

Fred 

Good point - as I started it I’ll answer your question. Don’t know! Numb brain I guess but I agree it should be on open forum. :default_coat: