Why I Just Love This Forum

Hylander

I think my Nan (really going back now) only had a Capon or large Chicken at Christmas, never a Turkey and it fed loads of us.    There was never any of this nonsense about allergies or 'I dont like that'   you either ate it or starved.    Like grendel and his Dad's curry,  can you imagine the furore now if little Jimmy or Jane was offered that to eat.    Yes things are a lot better now but some are not.  There again if some daft so and so is prepared to cook 5 meals an evening to suit all this fads then I pity them.

• Like 1

We too had the joint that fed us at least until wednesday and often thursday. My Mum used to make "rissoles" on a wednesday with left over beef. It was cut into large chunks and with large chunks of unsliced bread and great lumps of onion was put through one of the old cast iron mincers. I've still got the mincer and have tried to replicate these a few times but just cannot get them to taste the same!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kingfisher666 said:

I think we changed from the inward looking country, we had become during the war years, to a more outward looking one, once we started to travel. When the 'seventies' came along, most of us could afford package holidays and it opened up the big wide world to us. The food, wine and different ways of living became attractive, compared to the 'dullness' we had become used too.

Food wise, we have learned a lot from our travels and we now have a huge choice of foods available to us and different, healthier way to cook it. Not everything new has been for the good (McDonalds, KFC, PizzaHut etc.), but that is down to personal choice and unfortunately, we don't always make the best choices, which seems to be leading to an epidemic of food related health problems. But, we are still eager to learn, as evidenced by the popularity of food related TV programmes, magazines and websites. I just hope, with the recent renewal of our 'them and us' attitude, we don't start going backwards...

As a chef I was trained in classical French food and British.Its a good base I still use,however now like many chefs I cook dishes from many parts of the world.Many people also eat food from all over the world.This has to be a good thing.You are right there are worrying treads many people including the young are overweight this needs to be addressed.