First Ever Time

bubba

Good morning, me and the family (including dog) are making our first trip to the area for a weeks boating on the Broads and we cant wait. Just a couple of questions though if anyone cal please help?

We are travelling from Halifax in West Yorkshire and cant get on the boat until around 4pm. It is with Richardson's - is there a chance it will be earlier than 4pm?

My wife wants us to set off at 4am for what, according to Google Maps, is a 4 hour journey. I think she has visions of heading down to Cornwall with miles and miles of crawling traffic. What is the journey like into Norfolk in the summer, especially on a Bank Holiday Weekend? I can just see us getting there for 8am and having to sit around for hours waiting for access to the boat.

We are also wondering what itinerary to do. I had been thinking about doing a return trip to Norwich (from Stalham) but is wondering whether that is a bit ambitious for our first trip. What are peoples thoughts? Does anyone have an intinerary that they could share?

• Like 1

Sometimes you get lucky and pick the boat up early, sometimes you don’t, I think it depends largely on the order they come back from the previous hire, but I’d expect the yard to be very busy over a bank holiday weekend.

As for an itinerary, I don’t bother, I go where the mood takes me, but it doesn’t harm to have a plan. As for Norwich, depends on boat height, tide times and how comfortable you are with the boat. Their is plenty to do on the Northern Broads for a week, but the South will be quieter.

What boat are you hiring?

Most importantly, have a great time, relax, don’t rush anything, and if it goes wrong, try again, don’t try and rescue an already failing attempt, you’ll end up panicking and making it worse.

Personally, I’d make sure doggo has a life jacket as well, they’re not expensive to buy (I’d recommend the EzyDog ones) and you can also hire them from the yard. Even if the dog is a proficient swimmer, they tire quickly and the life jackets have a handle for fishing them out if (when) they fall in.

Enjoy!

Welcome! There are quite a few members who come from West Yorkshire so help is at hand!

Boats may be ready a bit earlier, and if not, pop into the Museum of the Broads for a visit? It’s really nearby.

James is spot on re. Doggy life jacket and about taking your time rather than racing off to Norwich and back in a week. 

Indeed as boating beginners, you may do better doing far less, but slowly.

Wear your life jackets when out of the cockpit on deck, and shut the pooch in the cabin until you have finished mooring. Take your time and expect a bit of help as it’s usually offered.

Enjoy your holiday.

the roads through Norfolk can get congested, but generally flow fairly well,  sometimes the boats can be ready early, but if it comes back from hire in the morning the cleaners and engineers all have to get their bits done before it can go out again, and there are hundreds of boats to process, so dont bank on it being early.

If you do arrive early and check in to find the boat wont be ready, you could drive to wroxham and visit Roys and get some shopping, or pop down the road to potter heigham and visit Lathams, that all singing and dancing shop that has all those things you didnt realise you needed.

plenty of other distractions to fill the time waiting for the boat, even a trip to the seafront at Great Yarmouth is only half an hours drive from Stalham.

Itinerary, just go with the flow, life slows down to 4,  5 or 6mph in Norfolk, so dont rush things, take plenty of time out to relax.

You have a dog, so moorings will dictate where you stop, rather than just dropping the mudweight in a broad.

Above all - enjoy your holiday

Thanks everyone.

My main concern about going to Norwich was ensuring I had enough time to get back. I know it sounds daft but I didnt want Friday to creep up on us and then have to spend 8 hours to get back to Stalham.

We are planning on spending a day at Great Yarmouth so the young uns can go to the Pleasure Beach, etc.

The boat we have hired is the San Marino - the romantic four posted is what swung it :) I am 6ft 5" and not the slimmest so I am wondering whether its me or the wife who will end up on the sofa.

Welcome to the forum bubba.

I’m assumimg this is your first time on a boat as well as to the area? It’s probably best not to have a firm itinerary other than the first couple of nights. As Grendel has said, you will need dog walking stops for overnight so for the first night I would suggest Paddy’s Lane at Barton Turf. It’s not too far from Richardson’s and would give you time to get used to handling the boat and mooring up for the first time in a fairly quiet spot. You would then have plenty of time to sort the boat out and chill having had an early start. If you do want to go further, I would suggest crossing Barton Broad and heading for How Hill. Great dog walking there and a good stretch of mooring. Time will obviously dictate how far you should go on that first evening but I’d suggest not too far as you certainly won’t want to be searching for a mooring late into the evening. After that, go with the flow and just enjoy! Don’t forget to let us know how you got on too, we love people’s holiday tales here.

Wise words from all above especially re dog lifejackets - I once had to haul a border collie up from 2' below by her collar, she was not amused! Personally I wouldn't bother with Yarmouth on a first visit - timing is critical and there's not much to see on the lower Bure. The main thing is to slow down,chill and just meander.

You also need to work with the tides, Bubba. Norwich might be better by bus, or train from somewhere on the system. 

With dogs and children I’d visit Salhouse Broad, canoes walks and paddling! From Horning you can walk to Bewilderwood theme park. That and a trip to GY would be a good weeks worth with cruising and pubs in between.

I couldn’t agree more with what’s been said above, you could get a train into Norwich from Wroxham (free mooring at hire boatyards there) and probably into Great Yarmouth as well. You will have plenty of attractions just cruising the Northern Broads, it’s best not to try and rush anywhere. Save the southern Broads for your next visit. 

Is this your first boating holiday? 

I am a bit of a creature of habit and usually like to have a plan but am open to just taking things as they come. What I am most looking forward to is some riverside pubs though the weather next week could be a problem.

I have just ordered the dog a life jacket. I have put a request in for one with Richardson's but they cant guarantee they will have one which is fair enough. If they do, I will just return the one I have bought.

Me and my wife are really looking forward to it. The 11 year old twins are a bit meh especially as we have banned them using their phones/tablets, etc during the day. It is our first time boating and I doubt it will be our last even though we havent been yet. 

Great Yarmouth is great for a day out, as is Wroxham Barns and Bewilderwood. Norwich and Beccles are also great destinations, just so much to do. Don't try and cram it all into just one week, there is always next year! 

Re mobiles, there are blackspots on the Broads, for example I'm told that Horning is excellent for not being able to get a signal. 

• Like 1

I’m quite sure I won’t be the only one mentioning life jackets for your children. You will all be supplied with them and I recommend you, and particularly the children and dog, wear them when on deck. It’s too easy to get complacent about such things but mishaps do happen.

As far as I  an see, the forecast is pretty good for next week on the Broads, so enjoy! :default_stinky:

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, bubba said:

Me and my wife are really looking forward to it. The 11 year old twins are a bit meh especially as we have banned them using their phones/tablets, etc during the day. It is our first time boating and I doubt it will be our last even though we havent been yet. 

Congrats on picking a great holiday! The kids will probably have too much to look at and do to bother with their gadgets! A set of cheap walkie talkies might be a gadget that they'd enjoy and would have a practical use. A beginner fishing set might be worth a go. Cheap whips and necessary advice can be had in Potter Heigham. 

Tide crossing times are not great for Yarmouth next week. You can always moor at Wroxham and take the train to Cromer or Sheringham (I prefer Sheringham) to get your beach fix and I think there is something on at the North Norfolk Railway. Also a great model world in Wroxham well worth a visit. 

Yes, really grateful for the help and advice. Just need to convince the better half that a 4am set off is not necessary though in fairness Richardson's have just called to say the dog life jackets are on a first come, first served basis and the boat may be ready for 1pm.

Cant wait now and sadly work is dragging!

Another question. What are the fridges like on the boats? My plan is to buy a load of non-fridged items like crisps, biscuits, bread, cereal and then eat out on an evening. Are the fridges decent enough?

Welcome to the forum,if you wish/able to pick up the boat early,I would suggest you phone Richardson's they will tell you if it's poss.The fridges are standard on most boats note large but okay.There is a large Tesco in Stalham and some very good shops.Check out Truely local. If you have not been on the broads I would like others said say on the north.Norwich is a great city,also many great spots in the south.Get used to the broads,then come back next time for two weeks and go south as well.

Have a great holiday We are up a week on Saturday. 

Ian 

Mooring close to pubs can be a little difficult sometimes. It's worth having something on board just in case you can't get close enough to the pub. When you arrive in Stalham its almost impossible to miss tescos, so if you arrive early supplies can be bought there or in the local shops in the nearby high street ( still park in tesco if high st is busy). Remember although you have a long journey home the boat has to be back in the morning, so you may feel a quick visit to the seaside could take place on your last day. Have a great time. 

Hi Bubba,

It's a tricky one this as what you're proposing for the week is possible but there could be some issues.

The tide times are not great.

You could do this,

Sat - north somewhere not, far from Richardsons.

Sun - Bimble around and then aim to be at Gt. Yarmouth for 5-30/6.00 pm for crossing Breydon (slack is 6.00pm) and on to a mooring, Reedham/ Hardley/Cantley.

Mon - off to Norwich for the day/night.

Tue - Bimble around and end up mooring within easy striking distance of Gt. Yarmouth.

Wed - Early start to arrive Gt Yarmouth 8-30/9.00 (Slack is at 7-20 but should be OK)

Thur - Head back up north wherever.

Fri - Bimble around and moor up close to Ricchos for the return Sat. morning.

So it could be done, however, the late crossing of Breydon on Sunday doesn't leave a lot of time to find a mooring before dark and it will probably be busy as it's Bank Holiday weekend. You will also have to deal with some strong tides which may not be the best thing as this is your first time. I feel you could be adding stress when that's the last thing you want to do.

If it were me, I'd have a cruise to Gt. Yarmouth to spend a day/night there. Make sure you arrive and leave when the rangers are on duty to assist you. If a visit to Norwich is a must then I'd get the train from Wroxham (Hoveton really). Only takes about 15 mins.

Have a great holiday.