First Ever Time

bubba

12 minutes ago, Wyndham said:

Sat - north somewhere not, far from Richardsons.

Sun - Bimble around and then aim to be at Gt. Yarmouth for 5-30/6.00 pm for crossing Breydon (slack is 6.00pm) and on to a mooring, Reedham/ Hardley/Cantley.

Mon - off to Norwich for the day/night.

Tue - Bimble around and end up mooring within easy striking distance of Gt. Yarmouth.

Wed - Early start to arrive Gt Yarmouth 8-30/9.00 (Slack is at 7-20 but should be OK)

Thur - Head back up north wherever.

Fri - Bimble around and moor up close to Ricchos for the return Sat. morning.

I had to Google the term 'bimble'; I assume it is a southern word? :D

Thanks for the itinerary but your advice and that of others has convinced me Norwich isnt necessary on our first visit.

• Like 3

Hi Bubba,

Regarding your travel time from Halifax, I live in Leeds and normally set off around 7 to 7.30ish to arrive in Wroxham or Brundall around 1pm. This includes a half hour stop en-route and around another half hour stop at the nearest supermarket to where I pick the boat up from to get "perishables" such as milk and fresh bread etc. The nearest supermarket to Stalham is Tescos - actually also in Stalham. Richardsons boatyard is below in the image

hubsan_snap_19700101_081443.jpg

For the record my fastest time Near Stalham to Rotherham 3.5 hours, My slowest 7 hours, it just takes an accident in the way....

Note the NDR is open, so you can reach Stalham either by going to Acle roundabout, then cutting across to Repps then up the A149 or you can come off at Postwick Along the A1270(NDR) and take the Wroxham road Roundabout and go up the through Wroxham to Stalham.

If you are at a busy time on the roads use Acle, if it's quiet use the NDR. (mostly because of the traffic through Wroxham)

As has been said, boat fridges are not too bad but the freezer (there usually is one) will be small. I usually have on board the part baked bread/rolls, biscuits for cheese and that sort of thing. You don’t actually need to moor outside of pubs, just be prepared to walk a little way to get to one. As I mentioned earlier, you can moor in hire boatyards free of charge so that would be Wroxham, Potter Heigham and Horning taken care of if you wanted to take advantage of pubs in those locations. Walk into Ludham from Womack Dyke if you are unable to moor at the staithe, a good pub there. Plenty of mooring at Acle. That gives you an idea of what can be achieved. You must be mind-blown by now bubba so I’ll shut up!

4 hours ago, bubba said:

Good morning, me and the family (including dog) are making our first trip to the area for a weeks boating on the Broads and we cant wait. Just a couple of questions though if anyone cal please help?

We are travelling from Halifax in West Yorkshire and cant get on the boat until around 4pm. It is with Richardson's - is there a chance it will be earlier than 4pm?

My wife wants us to set off at 4am for what, according to Google Maps, is a 4 hour journey. I think she has visions of heading down to Cornwall with miles and miles of crawling traffic. What is the journey like into Norfolk in the summer, especially on a Bank Holiday Weekend? I can just see us getting there for 8am and having to sit around for hours waiting for access to the boat.

We are also wondering what itinerary to do. I had been thinking about doing a return trip to Norwich (from Stalham) but is wondering whether that is a bit ambitious for our first trip. What are peoples thoughts? Does anyone have an intinerary that they could share?

Hello bubba,

Welcome to the forum, you are correct Halifax to Stalham is just over a four hour journey, but you may encounter  holdups on route and there are speed limits on most of  roads into Norfolk.

I would aim to get to the boatyard as already suggested by say 1.00 pm and see if you can  get onto the boat or drop your luggage off to make room for your shopping.

The cost on the trains in Norfolk is very good and you can get a deal on have four people traveling so as suggested it may be better going to Yarmouth, Norwich or Lowestoft by train.

Regards

Alan

I would also suggest you take a rubber mallet, like the old camping mallets for bashing in wooden tent pegs. Its often a tad difficult to set rhond anchors just by a swing and a stamp! (There really is no secret way of doing this!) Occasionally you may find one provided by the yard but ...........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VetChugger said:

I would also suggest you take a rubber mallet, like the old camping mallets for bashing in wooden tent pegs. Its often a tad difficult to set rhond anchors just by a swing and a stamp! (There really is no secret way of doing this!) Occasionally you may find one provided by the yard but ...........

great shout, I was very glad I had mine at a very windy Thurne last year!

I'm a Lidl fan, can't afford Tesco :default_wink:, so I can only go by hearsay but apparently you can save time by ordering from Tesco using your computer and either collect or have your order delivered to your boat or the yard. That should mean that you can get away from your moorings quicker. Any one tried it?

24 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I'm a Lidl fan, can't afford Tesco :default_wink:, so I can only go by hearsay but apparently you can save time by ordering from Tesco using your computer and either collect or have your order delivered to your boat or the yard. That should mean that you can get away from your moorings quicker. Any one tried it?

Not when sober :default_eusa_naughty: