Diesel Stench

Lastdraft

sorry to be pedantic, but you can't have globular shaped spheres. You could have spherical shaped globules.
Yes, Bernard Woolley was my favourite character in Yes Minister.
Globular is defined as "globe shaped or spherical", so either way round the adjective is superfluous. Just sayin'.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

ah, but according to the OED definition a globule could be a drop or droplet of tear or pear shape, so the spherical reference provides vital clarification as to the actual specifics of the matter and extends to the reader the precise intent of the author, whoever he or she may be, and is essential for the avoidance of doubt. 

Yes, I know Sir Humphrey was my second.

Just as an afterthought, birds die from ingesting the oil in an effort to clean themselves which is why making it sink into the water where bacteria can deal with it is the preferred option?. Nobody likes crude oil spills and to imply or infer otherwise is rediculous in the extreme, but frankly to compare diesel oil smells with crude oil spills and seabirds coated in the foul stuff, is to put it mildly a little crude. 

If one needs a hammer to make the point is it much of a point to make in the first place? Maybe in fact it was but one loses any support or credibility when anyone uses a completely over the top and quite inaccurate analogy. 

Quite similar in some respects to what is happening in daily politics and news media in the uk I believe. The standard of which gets lower every time I watch it. Even watching F1 this afternoon some moronic half educated presenter was describing an amount of people ? What is that supposed to mean ? I despair and will disappear down my little hole and stay there . 

• Like 3

I have thankfully not had anything like that happen on that scale in one go,  but on Independence I had lost over a period of time a lot of fuel - some to the bilge some to people changing pipes and trying to put right things to the bilges.

I had bought a fuel spill kit as a precaution (and have got another one just in case ready) but it came into its own as I was able to prevent the fuel getting anywhere it should not.

Using the oil absorbent sausages (see image) they will have a rating as to how much they can absorb before needing to be discarded, these were changed initially every half hour or so and then into a few hours to remove as much as possible in a compact and easy to handle manner. I then placed them into special bags with oil tight seals - other oil absorbent pads were then used and a 'wet and dry' vacuum was deployed to suck the remaining residue up. I then decanted this into oil containers and took the lot to the yard and paid them for disposal.

densorb-absorbent-socks-universal-500-x-

In order to remove the smell I used a lot of hot water and engine de-greaser to begin, once that was done it was then over to simple washing detergent (I used liquid tabs in a bucket of warm water) and again I would use the wet and dry vacuum after each wash out. It got rid of the fuel smell but took a lot of work on hands and knees and is something I hope I never have to worry about again.

Not too long ago I had a call to say she was 'pumping fuel out into the Marina' my heart sank and I got the yard to attend only to be told there was no evidence of any and when I then came up later that evening I could find none.

I used to keep one under my engine till I found where a water leak was coming from.  

The sausage soaked up any oil and left the water which I then removed with the mop and disposed of ashore.

It made life easier and I eventually sorted the leak. 

Spill kits are great for getting you out of a mess ,there is some great advice on different things to use ,i.e cat litter which works a wonder but removing the cat litter itself is job and half and its not just fuel leaks .before i changed the oil filter housing to a spin type on i used to find a constant weep which used to drive me insane -the simple answer all round to manage the problem before i could modify was to leave a mop up square pad under the problem they are available in all sizes and would be are a great thing thing ( Timbo close your eyes ) to put on a Christmas prezzie list 

oh and set of rubber gloves on your stocking filler list :default_biggrin:

finny

• Haha 1

I have to admit I bought four 25KG bags of cat litter at Lathams to clean RT's engine compartment. Rumour's of an escaped tiger in the Potter Heigham area are all my fault.
"That's a lot of cat litter, lots of cats?"
"Nah, one big one."
"Oh?"
"Tiger. Do you sell chain?"
"In the garden department."
"Ooh great stuff, Mr Tibbles keeps getting out of his cage."

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Katiew said:

I'm only surprised Lathams don't sell tigers....?

Are you sure that they don't? I'm sure that if you search you will find a shelf full of 'half price', hideously vulgar bits of tat resembling grimacing tigers costing something pounds and 99p.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Are you sure that they don't? I'm sure that if you search you will find a shelf full of 'half price', hideously vulgar bits of tat resembling grimacing tigers costing something pounds and 99p.  

If they sell them there will be somebody who will buy them, you can be sure of that!

• Haha 2