Oldest boatyard on Broads

Palmtree

So what is the oldest yard on the Broads?

When reading 'The Coot club' 1930's it refered to boatyards in Horning and Wroxham. What I did not expect was mention in the book of a boat yard offering repairs and safe morings off Breydon. The location sounds like Goodchilds.

Being at Burgh Castle, there is the potental to go back to Roman times and beyond!

Ian

• 1 year later...

Hi Fellow Broads Lovers

Just been having a browse through the varios topics on your site and found this one that does interest me very much. It would seem that it is a while since anyone put a reply onto this thread so thought I'd add my two penn'orth and see if anyone can add any info to the little I know.

I suppose it depends on how you look at this, but I personally take the subject to mean "Yards that Hired" to the public and not just Boatbuilders??

The obvious one has to be Ernest Collins being the only yard to be represented by Harry Blake in 1908, although he was in business prior to this date otherwise Blake wouldn't have known about him.

Have also read somewhere that John Loynes was the acknowleged founder of the Hire Business dating back to possibly pre 1908 and have it on good authority that there were others...The Press Family for one having had a Yard at Belaugh many many years ago!

Can anyone confirm or better add to would be most appreciated.... cheers

Best Regards

Terry B

The following information may help:

Robert Kemp at Oulton Broad 1869

John Loynes at Norwich 1878

George Applegate at Potter Heigham 1880

Arthur Press at Coltishall 1881

John Loynes moved to Wroxham 1882

Robert Collins at Wroxham 1886

John Hart at Thorpe Gardens Public House 1888

The above dates from documentary evidence.

As you might imagine, a history of the Broads boatyards is a mammoth work. It has been many years in gestation and is a long way off publication. She spends her time productively researching and writing books. I squander mine reading three Broads forums! (She says!) :):):)

The following information may help:

Robert Kemp at Oulton Broad 1869

John Loynes at Norwich 1878

George Applegate at Potter Heigham 1880

Arthur Press at Coltishall 1881

John Loynes moved to Wroxham 1882

Robert Collins at Wroxham 1886

John Hart at Thorpe Gardens Public House 1888

The above dates from documentary evidence.

Hi all,

Thought this may be of interest, Robert Kemp is the Great Great Grandfather of me and Paul (Richardson) and our sister Laura.

He started building Wherries behind his Fathers pub 'The Lady of the Lake' in Oulton Broad on Lake Lothing before moving to Commodore road where he built a shed behind old mill house.

post-503-136713452948_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713452954_thumb.jpg

Hello again,

Thanks, how about this?

The wherry in the picture is 'British Queen' Robert Kemp did not build it he did build 'Chieftain' and 2 or 3 others, it is written in a book which they were But I have been unable to find out which book!

Glad you find it interesting.

Clive.

post-503-136713453255_thumb.jpg

post-503-13671345326_thumb.jpg

I have a few photos for that thread, problem is scanning them all, 'British Queen' is said to be on Rockland broad, I do have a better picture of her, Kemp sold the wherry to Fred Miller in 1873 who also bought the yard. Dad bought the yard back in 1943.

Thanks for the offers, the scanning problem is that my girlfriend does all the Graphic design for us and she is busy with the brochure but I can squeeze a few in every now and then! I will take some home tonight.

I think we looked in 'Black sailed traders' but although there was a list of wherries built and their builders Robert Kemp does not get a mention!

Regarding the private moorings, yes it is a bit of a mud bath at the moment but will look really good in a week or two, the wet shed is also getting 15 new private moorings as well as new roof lights and shed side, apparently it is the biggest wet shed in the UK, can anyone confirm this ? Anway, I am not really here to talk about the business just share some interesting points, perhaps I should get a different hat (probably a tin one!) and log in under the business name to talk about all our wonderful facilities!

Chers, Clive.

This site has done, IMHO, a remarkably good job of accommodating businesses wishing to discuss their own goods / services etc without allowing it to interfere with the larger site so I am sure you would be very welcome to do that though please do not take my word for it as I do not speak for the site.

On the subject of whether the hat should be tin I'd say probably not on this site as I don't think any members here have an axe to grind. You always have some that resent successful businesses but I doubt that'll be a problem here.

I really must get round to visiting The Racecourse, btw. cheers

Hi Clive...Welcome to this wonderful site and thanks for some cracking info about your families early ties with the Broads!

I make it, that with the important dates already supplied by the knowledgable members here that your Great Great Grandfather was the owner of "The Oldest Boatyard" on the Broads... to date anyway!...Something to be very proud of imho.

Do you recognise my Avatar??

All the Best....Terry B cheers