• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

You can Sign up or log in with your Facebook account and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

springsong

Slide Carrier

Morning all

We are moving house and my lady wife has put her foot down with a firm hand and demanded I do something 

with the 16mm cine film of my Fathers two world tours by banana boat. I have also found a few colour slides

mainly of me as a pre teen on the Broads. Does anyone have one of those slide carriers that fit on a scanner

that they would be prepared to lend to me. If any one knows of any organization or person who might be interested 

in the 16 mm film please contact me.

Got these for my scanner. It is an epson V550 Photo.

A941C01A-9E93-48AA-946D-AEFE9AE05A65.jpeg

1353EB88-4D4D-471A-A908-322D41068C1A.jpeg

Hi Maxwellian

I have a SX435W. I shall have to look at the prices . I only have a few slides so don't want to

spend too much or so I am told.

• Haha 1

Hi Barry

I believe that Carol uses a firm called Video Impact (I think) in Loddon. They can digitise 16mm and could probably do your slides too. If you don't have many it could be cheaper than buying a scanner. 

The cheaper scanners don't magnify so the results can be a bit grainy. I use a Nikon Coolscan, it's an old model but gives excellent hi res results. 

I have an old fashioned slide copier, that gets fitted to my digital camera.

If you’re still looking for something to do this with then feel free to send me a message. We bought something we’ve finished with now but I don’t know what it was and we’re away at present. If you’re local to Essex or Norfolk or in between I might be able to get it to you.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Thank you all for your replies. Howard I have emailed video impact but with a bank holiday in the way I don't expect a quick reply.

To you other nice people I am looking for a carrier to go on the bed of my Epson scanner printer to copy slides, I don't have many so don't want to spend a fortune.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, springsong said:

have many so don't want to spend a

Might be worth asking VI about those too Barry. Could be better quality than a scanner and shouldn't cost an arm and a leg

Carol rates them highly

Afternoon Howard I have left an email with VI so hope to hear something tomorrow.

Barry.

• Like 1

Sounds good Barry, do please keep us posted. For cherished slides they might do you a good deal and do really good hi res digital versions which should be better than a scanner. Just wondered if Carol is aware, I'm sure she would be interested too! :default_beerchug:

Your problem seems to be solved by Maxwellian lending you a slide holder.

I had the same problem as you while scanning hundreds of photos and slides and my slide holder broke. A replacement cost was sky high so I did some experimenting and found that you can scan without it.

It is after all just a positional guide.

I use an Epson V500 /550.The one Maxwellian is lending you looks the same as mine so it should be “problem solved” 

two L shaped pieces of black card also works, but for slides you generally want them back lit, so I have used a tiny battery operated light box in the past for this, but a translucent piece of plastic and a desk lamp also work.