Enough Is Enough Already!

Timbo

"I promise to do my best to do my duty to God and the Queen, to keep the law of the Wolf Cub Pack, and to do a Good Turn to somebody every day. " - as far as I can recall from 1953!

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1

St Georges day and the church is full of Guides, Brownies, cubs, scouts and Ventures. The District Commissioners stand in front of the congregation to recite the guide and scout promise so that the kids can reaffirm theirs. The ladies went first. Then our commissioner took the dais.

We called our commissioner 'Mer mer mer mer Morris' because the chap had a stammer and that was how he always introduced himself. 'My name's mer mer mer mer Morris'. Lovely chap, now lives across the road from me. So the commissioner raises his hand and instructs 500 cubs and scouts to 'repeat after mer mer me!' 
"Oh God no!" exclaimed our Assistant Scout Leader
"He didn't just say..." our Cub Leader began to ask.
"Brace yourselves!" warned my Mum our Venture Scout Leader as the Commissioner began to recite the promise.
"On mer mer mer mer my honour I promise I will do mer mer mer mer my best..." said the Commissioner.
And five hundred kids said
"On mer mer mer mer my honour I promise I will do mer mer  mer  mer my best..."

When the promise was over, the commissioner smiled at the kids.
"Wonderful!" he exclaimed. "Brought a tear to mer mer mer mer my eye. And those of your Scout Leaders too!"
Fantastic bloke! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

• 2 weeks later...

Did someone mention Tesco's and Easter eggs?  I don't normally shop in Tesco's, but when I did pop in on Saturday I was left wondering why they were selling hot-cross buns in September.:default_badday:

I like hot-cross buns, but when 'seasonal' things like them are available all year round they are somehow no longer special.

Helen

• Like 2

I had a friend at boarding school who not only stuttered but, as he himself admitted, he needed his RRRRs rolled, a statement which always gave much merriment to all but my friend. Us brats always knew him as per, per, per, per Poll Gwave Bwown,  or Per for short, perhaps Vaughan remembers him?  I was to meet him many years later,  his elocution and Rrrrrrs rolling lessons had obviously worked wonders. Was I tempted to revert to stuttering myself, that always started him off! I must have been a horrible child! 

• Like 1

When I was in Tesco last Monday, I had a walk down the seasonal aisle.

Rammed full of Christmas chocolates, stocking fillers, alcoholic gift sets and the like at the start of September.

As I neared the end after a quick 30 minute rush down the aisle a couple turned the corner and instantly started moaning about the Christmas stuff on sale already, they weren't too impressed with me as I pointed out to them in the middle of their moan that they were still standing browsing through all the reduced wrapping paper and gift cards, which was a slightly hypocritical action after their comments.

I left them looking flabbergasted (God I hate that word) As I walked off with my trolley full of mince pies and gin based novelty gifts for the evening.

Suffice to say, when I got home I had to eat my first box of mince pies of the year, and put on my CD of classic Christmas songs to calm myself down.

Hurry up Santa, we are all impatient to get our presents down the chimney. 

:default_xmas2: :default_xmas3: :default_xmas4: :default_xmas6: :default_xmas5:

Merry Christmas everyone :default_winko:

On 14/09/2018 at 09:01, JennyMorgan said:

In a moment of weakness my wife and I had our first four quid Quality Street selection the other day, they lasted about twenty hours! Is this the first step to being a waddling porker, again?

Never mind that, the real question is are you one of those annoying people who put the empty wrappers back in the tin? :default_rolleyes:

On 10/09/2018 at 18:48, JennyMorgan said:

I had a friend at boarding school who not only stuttered but, as he himself admitted, he needed his RRRRs rolled, a statement which always gave much merriment to all but my friend. Us brats always knew him as per, per, per, per Poll Gwave Bwown,  or Per for short, perhaps Vaughan remembers him?  I was to meet him many years later,  his elocution and Rrrrrrs rolling lessons had obviously worked wonders. Was I tempted to revert to stuttering myself, that always started him off! I must have been a horrible child! 

We have a friend with a stutter, starts every sentence, but, but,but.

Lovely bloke though is Outboard Dave

• Haha 1