Horsey Staithe Temporary Closure

johnm

if you are hiring from Martham, before you set off, attach your second stern rope to the back of the boat, their policy is to only have the one attached when moored at their yard, so get it hooked up, run both up one side of the boat to the cockpit ready to grab and walk back to moor up, being woodies the boats are quite heavy, so dont blow around too much.

I thought mooring would be difficult solo hiring Janet, but in reality, if you prepare your ropes when you depart your previous mooring ready for the next, its really quite easy, do a rough tie up (ie just wrap the ropes around a post a few times or through a ring, dont worry about neat ) then come back to each rope once secure to tidy up and do a proper job. oh and do the upwind mooring rope first.

• Like 1

Thanks Grendel, I have solo hired Juliette for years and totally agree about having both ropes ready in the cockpit.

The only solo stern on mooring that I have done has been at Womack which is much less exposed than this pontoon mooring at Horsey. This maybe a v stupid idea but is there any upside in throwing the mudweight in when I am close to the pontoon and slowly reversing towards it to try and steady the bow ? I have a feeling not !

Best wishes

Charles

4 minutes ago, charlesa said:

Thanks Grendel, I have solo hired Juliette for years and totally agree about having both ropes ready in the cockpit.

The only solo stern on mooring that I have done has been at Womack which is much less exposed than this pontoon mooring at Horsey. This maybe a v stupid idea but is there any upside in throwing the mudweight in when I am close to the pontoon and slowly reversing towards it to try and steady the bow ? I have a feeling not !

Best wishes

Charles

Common practice in The Med when mooring stern on. If no bow mooring buoy deploy anchor. However should you have to pull away again you need to lift it quickly. I think it would be a very good idea if two handed but difficult single helmed.

Personally if it is quiet I would just go along side first and have a look and a think.

• Like 1