Help Lend A Hand With Indy

LondonRascal

It is time for Independence to come out the water and have her bottom scrubbed and a good look at things below the waterline. It has been anxious few weeks of trying to arrange everything but it is all booked in from Friday 7th September in Lowestoft. 

Originally we had planned to sail her out of Yarmouth along the coast and in at Lowestoft, but I heard on the grapevine that three boats returning from Holland were once again delayed at Yarmouth due to bridge issues. We really can't have delays as every bit of time counts as we are doing a lot of the things ourselves but also have a chap coming to finish off the superstructure polishing and do the entire hull while she is out the water.

I have therefore decided go the inland route and have booked Mutford Lock for 11:30am on 7th September. This is going to be a bit of a squeeze getting into and currently it will only be myself and Griff onboard so he will be doing all the lines and fenders while I am at the helm. It would be great to have an extra hand or three.

If anyone wishes to come along for the ride and lend a hand then please let me know below and I will get in touch with final arrangements as to times, but we will likely depart Brundall on the Thursday and end up somewhere half way for an early AM start on Friday morning.

If you don't mind sharing bad jokes with Griff and can hold a fender and grab a rope your help will be gratefully appreciated.

I would have loved to have assisted, but I think I only have a couple of days leave left for emergencies, plus my assistant at work is about to go off on maternity leave any day now, so I think I will have to give this a miss (I will check my leave situation monday when I get to work however)

Robin, be only too happy to help. Can catch the train from Oulton Broad up to Brundall so getting there is no problem. Will then be running Griff back to Brundall by car so will have room for two others if they need to get back to their cars, limos or works vans. By the way Brundall to OB is only three and a half hours.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

By the way Brundall to OB is only three and a half hours.

That is correct but I don't like leaving the mooring at low water if I can help it as she is almost on the bottom here and also the St. Olaves end of the new cut is very shallow too. So I am aiming to head up there on a rising tide. I think on Friday around 11am ish is high water at Oulton Broad when I spoke to the chaps at the Yacht Station.

• Like 1

Just now, LondonRascal said:

That is correct but I don't like leaving the mooring at low water if I can help it as she is almost on the bottom here and also the St. Olaves end of the new cut is very shallow too. So I am aiming to head up there on a rising tide. I think on Friday around 11am ish is high water at Oulton Broad when I spoke to the chaps at the Yacht Station.

No probs, good plan.

Fri 07th I make HW at OBYS  1120 so a 1130 Lock booking is spot on

Sailing from Brundall on Friday 07th at 0800 - State of tide at Brundall will be three hours past LW on a rising tide.  Therefore the transit to OBYS will be on a rising tide all the way.  This is ideal. The Tidal flow won't be much of an issue to Indy.  Crew can either join onboard Thursday evening or early Friday morning.This means I can get in a full last Thursday working on 'B.A'

Sailing Thursday - HW at Brundall is 1027 then on a falling tide down to Reedham.  LW at Brundall is at 1644. If we leave it half way past LW at Brundall, sail on a rising tide that means sailing at 2000 to Reedham.  Sunset is at 1930.   If you want to sail Thursday we have to go early, then wait at Reedham for the rest of the day and overnight (Assuming we can get alongside of course).  This will lose me a further full day working on 'B.A' - Not Good!

We could of course sail early Thursday at 0700 on a rising tide straight thought to OBYS, wait there from 1030 and overnight for the lock booking at 1130 on Friday.  This again will lose me a full day working on 'B.A' - Not good!

Personally I would go with crewing up Thursday evening and sailing Friday morning.  However it is of course your call and I will be ready in all respects with whatever decision you come to

Griff

Hey Robin...ironically we are up this week (as from tomorrow) and would have jumped at the chance to help you....but typically we’ve invited my parents to come up and join us for a few days as they’ve not seen Second Chance yet, so can’t really leave them on their own....but would have loved to help...hopefully next time the stars will align!! Hope all goes well for you, Griff and crew and I look forward to reading / seeing how Indy gets on.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

Thanks for the above Charlie, will see you later tonight but to confirm that the first option that means you get a full days working on BA and we join Indy Thursday PM for an 08:00 departure from Brundall on Friday morning.

I've been in touch with Nigel via Messenger - Steve will PM you.

• Like 1

I gotta say I do hate it when I hear folk bleating on about "the wrong boat for the broads" because something won't fit under a bridge somewhere but this thread  where more than two crew (with insideout knowledge of the boat and rn history) and a careful passage plan are needed to go from brundall to mutford tells me you have the wrong boat for the broads!

No doubt I'll get shot down in flames for saying it but heyho!

:default_gbxhmm:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The thing is, even if it was a boat of 'B.A's stature, the same sort of passage plan would be needed to get through Mutford Lock and the like.  We are constrained not so much by the tides on the Yare / Waveney - although of course they do have to be taken into account with Indy's draft, the main constraint is the timing of the Lift out at Lake Lothing, gotta be done at HW that means the rail and road bridged have to be opened, the same would probably be the case for 'B.A' too (I've not looked to be honest)  Besides I kinda like it when road / rail bridges have to be opened to secure a safe passage - Feels like I'm getting my own back! :default_norty:

Griff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think size matters at all here. I have always "worked the tides" on the Yare, since I was a boy. You save a lot of fuel, especially when towing boats home. It's called seamanship.

That's one thing I didn't learn from my father. He timed his trips according to pub opening hours!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3