Help Lend A Hand With Indy

LondonRascal

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

That's one thing I didn't learn from my father. He timed his trips according to pub opening hours!

I had an uncle that could direct you to anywhere in London via pub names

Turn left at the Green Dragon then 2nd right after the Coach & Horses................

• Like 3

There are a number of things about Independence that make her very easy to handle given her size and weight but conversely a number of other things that make it a challenge for just two people.

Take her ropes - just about managable by one person when dry, get them wet and it really becomes a work out to handle them. Even her fenders are the largest of the Polyform range and weigh several kilograms each and these all need stowing. It means somebody has a lot of rushing about to do when leaving a mooring and a lot to do when arriving at one and it is far easier if there is a minimum of three. Me on Helm and two dealing with fenders and ropes  independence also has some big blind spots from either the lower or upper helm so guidance vocally from deck crew helps with safety too  

Having a bunch of helpers makes all the difference. I agree she is big for the Broads but makes very little movements on the rivers. I knew this when I bought her there would be such issues and am happy with this because she is a very capable passage maker. For cruising easily on the rivers I head over to Broad Ambition or Trixie at Stalham.

I was keen for a short run down the coast but when I was told about a recent hold up with he bridges at Yarmouth and a deadline to reach the Marina for them to lift Independence I could not afford any delays  we therefore felt the best option was a lock booking at Mutford so that became the he first option. I hope of course that goes smoothly as well and Reedham and Somerleyton swing bridges work smoothly too!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

There are a number of things about Independence that make her very easy to handle given her size and weight but conversely a number of other things that make it a challenge for just two people.

Take her ropes - just about managable by one person when dry, get them wet and it really becomes a work out to handle them. Even her fenders are the largest of the Polyform range and weigh several kilograms each and these all need stowing. It means somebody has a lot of rushing about to do when leaving a mooring and a lot to do when arriving at one and it is far easier if there is a minimum of three. Me on Helm and two dealing with fenders and ropes  independence also has some big blind spots from either the lower or upper helm so guidance vocally from deck crew helps with safety too  

Having a bunch of helpers makes all the difference. I agree she is big for the Broads but makes very little movements on the rivers. I knew this when I bought her there would be such issues and am happy with this because she is a very capable passage maker. For cruising easily on the rivers I head over to Broad Ambition or Trixie at Stalham.

I was keen for a short run down the coast but when I was told about a recent hold up with he bridges at Yarmouth and a deadline to reach the Marina for them to lift Independence I could not afford any delays  we therefore felt the best option was a lock booking at Mutford so that became the he first option. I hope of course that goes smoothly as well and Reedham and Somerleyton swing bridges work smoothly too!

Good Luck.  Looking at the time you wrote this I assume you are tucked up in bed now.

We are about to drive to Stanstead for a flight to Southern Ireland for a ten day break - Ryanair permitting!

Happy aka Alan

Probably for the best Scrumpy. Ive seen your helming :default_eusa_dance::default_icon_bowdown:

Robin, reedham and somerleyton seem to have been playing ball recently. Now it's not so hot. 

You probably have it covered, but rush hour I have heard they won't open for up to 1.5 hrs if you time it wrong.  Can't remember what time you were casting off now. 

my tip of the day (the only one in fact) for anyone departing brundall and needing a bridge swing is to leave on the hour. If you stick to the speed limits you should get there for opening time. Obviously at rush hour this may not work. :default_beerchug:

• Haha 1

Was moored at Reedham yesterday afternoon (3rd September) and the bridge seemed to be open more often than it was closed.

Was even opening to let the Brooms hire fleet through!

A bit of moisture in the air at the moment.  Being helped by the tide en-route to Breydon Water.  If we have timed it right it will continue to help when we turn right towards Yarmouth yacht station.

Sue

Sue

10 hours ago, SueH said:

Was moored at Reedham yesterday afternoon (3rd September) and the bridge seemed to be open more often than it was closed.

Was even opening to let the Brooms hire fleet through!

A bit of moisture in the air at the moment.  Being helped by the tide en-route to Breydon Water.  If we have timed it right it will continue to help when we turn right towards Yarmouth yacht station.

Sue

Sue

If you are going from reedham I would turn left not right for yarmouth or you'll be in for a surprise.

I turned right last week and you don't want my fuel bill.

• Haha 1

Indy is going back in the water tomorrow at 08:15. 

We have a lock booking for 14:00 at Mutford to go into the Broads. 

If if you want to come along to Lowestoft Haven Marina let me know, we will be on a mooring there waiting until our lock booking and could do with a couple of handy peeps to help with fenders when we go through. You will if you wish, then join us on a cruise back to Brundall. There is a regular train service back to Oulton Broad North the closest station to the Marina if you arrive by car. 

Cheers ?

• Like 3