Gt Yarmouth Maritime Festival 2018

JennyMorgan

Sorry, I freely admit to being a philistine where fish is concerned! If its not haddock in batter  deep fried in beef dripping. The rest, including herring, is cat food!

I will partly justify this with my exposure to drums of salted herring in my Dads shop as a child! Stuff bad dreams are made of!

• Haha 1

Hoping to pop along to this one. Any ideas on best places for car parking given that we would be coming from Lowestoft. We used a great little car park by the Tide and Time Museum when we came up for the air show but given that is so close to South Quay I am wondering whether there are any better options.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

8 hours ago, VetChugger said:

Sorry, I freely admit to being a philistine where fish is concerned! If its not haddock in batter  deep fried in beef dripping.

I suppose it has to be skinned too :default_dry: With the skin on , you know what you are getting !

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Poppy said:

I suppose it has to be skinned too :default_dry: With the skin on , you know what you are getting !

More than once I've had chippies try and pass haddock off as cod, naughty people. I didn't marry a fish monger's daughter for nothing! I also live next to a fish merchant and every now and again he brings round a bass-bag full of prime fish, cod so fresh that it actually tastes creamy! He also supplies the Waveney Inn at Burgh St Peter where we went for a meal on Saturday, that meal was perfect, any fresher and there would have been sea-lice on the cod! In my opinion haddock is a definite second to fresh, near water or longshore caught cod.

11 hours ago, SwanR said:

Hoping to pop along to this one. Any ideas on best places for car parking given that we would be coming from Lowestoft. We used a great little car park by the Tide and Time Museum when we came up for the air show but given that is so close to South Quay I am wondering whether there are any better options.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Jean, my wife and I always find easy parking in Cobham, turn left opposite Matalan, just before the old bridge at Yarmouth. Okay, a few hundred yards walk but we've never had a problem yet.

• Like 1

Disappointing about the tall ships but for Poppy I suspect that the BA propaganda tent will be there with ample opportunity for asking the willing information volunteers 'amusing' questions! That aside if samba bands & country music have nothing to do with our maritime heritage then so be it, there will be much that has so, Poppy, and other party poopers, walk on past the irrelevant bits and enjoy the day! 

Re Samba Bands, such might have played on the Wellington Pier during the 20's and 30's, entertaining holiday makers and seafarers alike, perhaps such might be relevant after all. Anyway, an excuse to rest awhile whilst savouring a decent pint or scoffing your fried herring.

Marsh, will you be manning the Norfolk Wherry Trust's stand? I have a lump of galvanised iron in which the trunnion of a wherry's mast would have pivoted hanging up in my shed. It is one of a pair that once resided on the tabernacle of Dragon at Oulton Broad. The pair of it is at the Broads Museum at Stalham. Would you, or the Trust, give it an appreciative home? If so I'll bring it to Yarmouth.

23 minutes ago, marshman said:

No - sadly I will not be around this year.

I will PM you about the trunnion but I am not sure quite what to do with it!  

Find a suitable half a mast to hang on it. So does not being around this year mean that you were there last year, that we might even have spoken to each other without knowing it? We'll have to develop a funny handshake for forum members.