November Holiday

SPEEDTRIPLE

Hi all,

For 3 years out of the last 4, we have drawn Lightning for a week in November, so will be aboard from 18th November this year.  The first time we went (November 2015) we had a great week, with a couple of wet days, but the middle of the week was very mild and bright sunshine. The second time we went, which was 2016,  it was cold and damp all week, with bad condensation aboard. As a result, our only trip out was from Brundall to Loddon, where we had a curry in the Raj, then Breakfast in Rosie Lee`s, followed by a trip back to Brundall.  En route to Loddon, Lightning go very cold inside, so we had to use the heating while cruising, something we`ve never had to do before.  This year however, we will be arriving on the Sunday, due to a concert on the Saturday evening down here in Bournemouth, so an early start for the drive up on Sunday.  Depending on the weather, we shall either be out on the rivers for a few days, but will definitely be going out in the car on some days.  Either way, we WILL be going top Rosie Lee`s on probably more than one day.  Other days will be taken up with Christmas shopping in Lathams, and in Norwich, and very possibly to Roys.

Anybody else out that week, and that includes you Howard (Norfolk Nog), as i know you always prefer very late or early cruising?.

• Like 5

Hi Neil, no sorry, we will be out but later, around mid December. You are right, we love it in winter. November/December are often milder, if you do get colder weather its usually in January or February particularly. As you probably know from my ramblings on here we have had no issues and cruise and enjoy the empty rivers to the full! Just double duvets for the night, decent heating system (no shore power) by day and we are as snug as bugs. You do get shorter days of course but we feel that's more than compensated by having the place to yourself and being able to moor side on at Ranworth! We always cross Breydon too and (touch wood) have not had any issues. In fact the roughest crossing we've had recently has been in June surprisingly!

Go for it and enjoy!!

• Like 2

After all the hot weather we`ve had, knowing our luck, it will be freezing, so we`ll use Lightning as a houseboat and go out in the car.  If that`s the case, hopefully i`l get some time to have a nose around some disused WW2 airfeilds if i come across them. Also, i`d like to have a look at the restored North Walsham and Dilham Canal, not really doable by boat, unless it`s a canoe, so the car will come in handy.

9 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

If that`s the case, hopefully i`l get some time to have a nose around some disused WW2 airfeilds if i come across them.

I don’t know if you watched the series on tv recently about a disabled guy flying his Piper Cub round Britain. The last programme was about Norfolk and he flew over many of the old WW2 airfields and even did a low level pass down the runway at Mildenhall.

• Like 1

On 06/09/2018 at 21:04, brundallNavy said:

I don’t know if you watched the series on tv recently about a disabled guy flying his Piper Cub round Britain. The last programme was about Norfolk and he flew over many of the old WW2 airfields and even did a low level pass down the runway at Mildenhall.

Hi BN, 

No, unfortunately i missed every one of them, but everybody i know who watched the series have ALL said how good it is, and how good the pilot / presenter is. We tried to find it on catch up, but for some reason, we COULD`NT register with 4s catch up thingy, so will have to wait to see if someone puts it out on DVD. On the first one, he visited Compton Abbas down here in Dorset, which is a regular haunt for me and a mate at work, we often ride the bikes up there (mine is a yellow and silver Triumph Street Cup, and his a white Triumph Speedtriple) for afternoon tea on Fridays, and some Sundays, Karen and i do the same.