Water in the Lazarette

Hi

During the recent trip to Southwold I was horrified to find water in the Lazarette - not a little either. The installed bilge pump was a manual switch but fortunatley I had a spare float swich so that was quickly fitted. On the way back we were still taking on copious amounts but the bilge pump was coping.

On our return I spoke to Steve, our boatshed guy and after a good look around we both stood stareing and wondering - there seemed to be nothing obvious. I dried it all out expecting to have to lift and undertake some sort of (expensive)repair.

Today we decided that while it was dry it would be a good idea to blast it up the river with Steve in the Lazarette and try to find out where the water was coming in. I had previously been out at normal river speeds and it stayed dry.

After about 100 yards at full power my fun (sorry serious investigation) was cut short by Steve shouting up stop! found it!.

Turns out the bilge pump skin fitting is just above the waterline right near the stern, but there is no non-return valve fitted. So when the old girl is at power this goes under the water and provides a nice 1" hole in the boat.

So I just need to fit a valve - phew :grin:

Good news there Wayne.. I was going to say that i too take on water when at full pelt but not too much. When we got back to Brundall a couple of weeks ago after a day out on the salt i got about 2 bucket loads out of the bilge but if i stick to the rivers i take no extra water at all. Something for me to look into :)

Turns out the bilge pump skin fitting is just above the waterline right near the stern, but there is no non-return valve fitted. So when the old girl is at power this goes under the water and provides a nice 1" hole in the boat.

Wayne

See what you get for mixing with the Salty Bottoms, your boat wasnt actually designed for going anywhere at speed! :lol::lol:

Glad that it is an easy fix!

Martin

Hi

During the recent trip to Southwold I was horrified to find water in the Lazarette - not a little either. The installed bilge pump was a manual switch but fortunatley I had a spare float swich so that was quickly fitted. On the way back we were still taking on copious amounts but the bilge pump was coping.

On our return I spoke to Steve, our boatshed guy and after a good look around we both stood stareing and wondering - there seemed to be nothing obvious. I dried it all out expecting to have to lift and undertake some sort of (expensive)repair.

Today we decided that while it was dry it would be a good idea to blast it up the river with Steve in the Lazarette and try to find out where the water was coming in. I had previously been out at normal river speeds and it stayed dry.

After about 100 yards at full power my fun (sorry serious investigation) was cut short by Steve shouting up stop! found it!.

Don't bother with a none return valve too restrictive ,fit a longer hose and goose neck it well above the water line.

That's good news Wayne.

We found 6" of water under the starboard engine when we returned from Whitsun. I already thought I had a slight raw water leak from the pump anyway due to rusty drip marks on the belts, but it seemed to have suddenly got worse. I stripped the pump off last weekend and Brundall Marine Services fitted a new pair of seals for my for less than a tenner. Unfortunatley the pump is quite worn and the shaft is a bit grooved where the seals touch, so this may not work, but I'd rather spend a tenner to start with than nearly £400 on a new pump!

That's good news Wayne.

We found 6" of water under the starboard engine when we returned from Whitsun. I already thought I had a slight raw water leak from the pump anyway due to rusty drip marks on the belts, but it seemed to have suddenly got worse. I stripped the pump off last weekend and Brundall Marine Services fitted a new pair of seals for my for less than a tenner. Unfortunatley the pump is quite worn and the shaft is a bit grooved where the seals touch, so this may not work, but I'd rather spend a tenner to start with than nearly £400 on a new pump!

Good news wayne. Mark, just to let you know that Northgate marine may be able to refurb your pump to a very high standard for much less than a new one. :pirate :pirate :pirate

lb

Mark, just to let you know that Northgate marine may be able to refurb your pump to a very high standard for much less than a new one. :pirate :pirate :pirate

lb

Thanks Adam, I'll certainly give them a go if fixing the seals doesn't work, or try Trickett Marine for a pattern one if not :wave