Fair Marquess - Under Starters Orders For 2019

DAVIDH

34 minutes ago, Markw said:

Agreed...... although we do like / appreciate modern day luxuries when we are on the river - still want the boat to be aesthetically pleasing to the eye.... 

I think the bottom line is that pretty boats let more easily, so boatyards who defend ugly creations are just in denial...

Some people will hire anything, but you don't make a £150K investment based on a business case of 'well someone might hire it'.

2 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

I think the bottom line is that pretty boats let more easily, so boatyards who defend ugly creations are just in denial...

Some people will hire anything, but you don't make a £150K investment based on a business case of 'well someone might hire it'.

Very true & there is obviously a market for them as like you say - the boatyards would not make such an investment (i would hope) - they must be very well appointed inside :default_biggrin:

No I mean there is a market for them, but there would be much more of a market for them if they were prettier.

Every yard wants a set of Broadsman moulds, but I doubt many are too fussed about having one of these creations.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1

What I see is a modern take on the "bathtub" with a large outside lounge/driving area on the roof. The outside space is to me very appealing.

I guess being an inland vessel it doesn't need the streamlining of a coastal boat.

Is it ugly? yes but then so are many grp broads boats but I think the combination of below decks luxury and on top open air lounging will appeal to many hirers.

For the cost of one week in peak equating to circa £300 pounds more than my annual contribution to Moonlight Shadow, which gives me four weeks on board per year, you can keep the drench showers, mood lighting and other fripperies.

Besides, Moonlight Shadow does look like a boat.

• Like 1

I like it In a way if it had a longer bow... or the Mrs would say “The pointy end... you know ...the nose end”....

Did they not have enough room in the boat shed to finish it off... Half a job.. shame that... We’ll you can’t always go on looks....  I bet it’s quite big inside be interesting to see when it’s done... 

3 hours ago, oldgregg said:

No I mean there is a market for them, but there would be much more of a market for them if they were prettier.

Every yard wants a set of Broadsman moulds, but I doubt many are too fussed about having one of these creations.

Understand what you mean now.... my :default_dunce: hat on.... lol

The fact that these boats, which incidentally do go under Ludham Bridge normally, let well is sufficient indication to the yards concerned that they are doing the right thing. There is inevitably always going to be some disconnect between the eyes of some of you, and what makes economic sense to them!!

44 minutes ago, marshman said:

The fact that these boats, which incidentally do go under Ludham Bridge normally, let well is sufficient indication to the yards concerned that they are doing the right thing. There is inevitably always going to be some disconnect between the eyes of some of you, and what makes economic sense to them!!

Here's the thing. They don't let badly when they're fairly new and have nice interiors... You've just got to photograph the interior well and show off with lots of Tweets on FaceTube about how comfortable they are - look at the shower cubicle on the Ferry Marina ones, they're huge.

BUT no other yard is going to be biting their arm off to have a secondhand one in their fleet, and what do you do with them when they're 15 years old and looking a bit shabby and ugly? I don't doubt it's possible to make money on them, but the point is that it's possible to make a lot more.

1 hour ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Covergirl  and Moneypenny seem to be out a lot,  they are not pretty and are priced at the top of the range.

Just checked the price of Cover Girl on Hoseasons and a week in peak next year is 'reasonably' priced at just shy of £3000.  There appears to be another craft of a similar design called Clean Sweep, available in peak for the modest sum of £3340 per week.  Both craft are for up to four people.

HOW MUCH??  Do they send someone out each night to turn down the sheets so I won't have to?

My pleasure visiting the Broads is gained from cruising all of the rivers, including the Chet and the Ant (two of the prettiest, in my opinion, but not an option certainly on Cover Girl), mooring up somewhere quiet, enjoying the peace and the slower pace.  I don't need the biggest and flashest hire cruiser to do that, however there are clearly those who have the means or the need, so I'll shut up and leave them to it.

Cover Girl and Moneypenny are lovely boats - Not cheap but to a high standard and having been next to one earlier in the season I can say they're immaculate and properly look like a high-end private boat.

I'd be happy with something like a Melody or Major Gem and then eat out every night, but as Mouldy says, each to their own.

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

Just checked the price of Cover Girl on Hoseasons and a week in peak next year is 'reasonably' priced at just shy of £3000.  There appears to be another craft of a similar design called Clean Sweep, available in peak for the modest sum of £3340 per week.  Both craft are for up to four people.

A week equals the running costs of our boat for a year

If you go out of season you can get the NYA boats from £1690 a week... That’s 2nd week in September next year... Clean Sweep is Brooms  Deluxe one...  That’s the ex owners boat... went on it Friday... Very nice...  pop up tv...  tv in all cabins full size fridge freezer.... lush thick flush carpets... beautiful finished off...  NYAs Cover girl and Moneypenny are high standards finished off nicely... And Brooms exploerer 1 And 2 are to..... At the moment Brooms are building Explorer 3 what will ready next year...

• Thanks 1

That’s why I love having a 2 week share in Thunder- say £800 for 2 weeks afloat every year in a very comfortable cruiser. And just back from 2 weeks All Inclusive in Lanzarote for not far off the cost of one week aboard one of NYA’s finest.

Literally the best of both worlds :-)

• Like 1

On 09/09/2018 at 20:28, Broads01 said:

Thanks David. Not the prettiest boat ever but I'm sure it would be lovely. At over £1800 for two people for a week in peak season it had better be good. 

HOW MUCH..................................

I would`nt pay that for two weeks, let alone one.  Another thing, it`s a very large boat for two people, and IN MY HONEST OPINION, totally unsuitable for the Northern Broads, though great for the Southern section. However, as other people have, WHAT AN UGLY PIG. Albeit in a more diplomatic manner, something i`l never subscribe to.

And i don`t care who does`nt like it.

It doesn't really matter what people think other than those who chose to hand over the cash - or at least that will be the view of the yard owner!

And of course those choosing have a choice too, of other more conventional  and cheaper boats within the same yard or the one they have chosen. However the trend for couples ONLY to elect to take these large boats continues - frequently these days you see only a couple on Richardsons finest and I do not suppose it bothers Clive one jot as long as they have paid!

Cars too, particularly the SUV brigade, are also going this way so its no real surprise to see this trend on the water too. I suspect several of those who contribute here, also drive large, overly wide SUV's or 4x4s, when a small City car would get them from A to B, but they want, often, to give the impression of size and being better than others and indulge in some luxury!!

Who said size doesn't matter....!!

Do people really consider how a boat looks externally when booking..Or do they go for the fact it is new and has taken away as many compromises of boating verses short base accommodation?

I think any new boat will be popular - just as the new phone, TV, Car, Kitchen etc etc are. I say this because you now have a massive social media prescence on the Broads and to many part of thei holiday is posting photos and updates at least daily, often several times a day. Being on the latest boat is clearly something extra to shout about. 

They are not ‘pretty’ they don’t have flowing and smooth lines but they have a bathroom that would not look out of place from a new build appartment, island king size bed, huge galley with everything including a ‘Pod’ coffee machine. Clearly plenty of Broads boaters will be willing to pay top dollar for this sort of boat. 

• Like 4

I don't think it matters to all, but it matters to quite a lot of seasoned boaters and they're the folks who keep coming back. Look at the RC45's - 7 years since the first one launched and you still can't get one at anything like short notice. And that's with 15 of them in the fleet.

It's no different to ugly cars - They'll still sell, but a pretty one sells way better because people want to be seen in it.

• Like 1

I can't believe how incredibly rude some of you are being. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Perhaps you don't consider those of us prepared to pay for a bit of luxury on our holiday as proper boaters. But we're equally entitled to come on the Broads, bring our money to the local economy and have a wonderfully relaxing time.

There's plenty of boats out there that I would never hire for various reasons, but I don't go around telling other people that they shouldn't choose them. The wonderful things about the Broads is that there is something for everyone, all ages and classes and styles of boats, basic, luxury and all points in between.

And yes, I would even have one holiday instead of two if that was the way to save up enough to hire something that I aspire to one day sailing down the river. 

• Like 7