Fair Marquess - Under Starters Orders For 2019

DAVIDH

4 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Vaughan...you do know I'm going to be hunting for RT's tonnage stamp now don't you? :facepalm::default_biggrin:

On a yacht it must be on the main beam but on a cruiser it will be one of the main deck beams, which may be the end one, which supports the deck  under the transom and is therefore a transverse beam. It may also be on a main roof beam, also probably the last one aft.

GRP boats don't have deck beams (as such) so it is usually carved on the main fixed floor beam in the engine compartment.

Quite a few GRP boats were fitted out on marine mortgages. One I remember was Cheeseman Rollo on the Thames. I think Langford Jillings did a few as well.

• Thanks 1

By the way, the registered tonnage is not the deadweight of the boat, nor is it her displacement tonnage - it is a calculation of her commercial tonnage, with allowances made for engine space, chart space, chain locker and various other things.

Yours (if you have one) may say about 5 tons, but she will weigh a great deal more than that when hanging on the end of a crane!

• Like 1

We hired Silent Emblem from Ferry Marine for ten nights this summer and whilst it doesn't look "Miami Vice" it ticked almost all the other boxes. We have been hiring boats on the Norfolk Broads since the mid 80's and have tried many different styles of boat and a great many new builds. It' is true what they say, don't judge a book by it's  cover.

• Like 1

I'm proud of my boat - largely because of it's looks which reflect my taste.  I'm sure that many hirers feel the same when they ar out on the water.

What 'Fair Marquis' will  say about many who take it out I'm not sure.

This perhaps ?  :default_biggrin::default_gbxhmm:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Not that many realise this Jean, but if I'm writing a post in "serious mode" I tend not to use terms like Nah or yeah. If and when I do use them the whole post should be taken tongue in cheek. There are only rarely exceptions to this.

:-)  :default_beerchug:

MM writing in “serious mode”

Nah!!!!!

Some people may not like the layout but having spoken to others, the punters really like the forward galley. For too long the people who make the tea have had to gaze out of a window on the side and now , they can finally see whats going on.

Thats a lovely space and others think so too - thats one reason why the boats are so successful and let so well!!!

• Like 3

The use of space with the galley in the front etc. has been the way Ferry Marina have had new builds for some long while. We hired Silver Emblem probably around 2013 and that's the arrangement there as well. However they used to have fake curtains which restricted the view from the inside helm which I did find difficult. It was October but we wrapped up warm and helmed from outside all week.

As for privacy, there was a curtain where you might normally expect a bedroom door so that might have afforded some screening from anyone in the saloon area. But it did mean that the aft cabin wasn't quite as warm and cosy as we have had on other boats.

Agreed, and if those sleeping in the saloon need the bathroom they have to go through the main bedroom. It means that for all practical purposes it is only a 2 berth and at over £1900 a week in peak season it seems outrageously expensive.
Hows that, the bathroom is between the two

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

;Hows that, the bathroom is between the two;

if you look at the floor plan the only door into the bathroom is in the main bedroom

they could move the loo into the opposite corner and have a second door into the bathroom from the passage

• 1 month later...
On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 22:51, oldgregg said:

That is one of the Funnell boats.... And after Haines have tried to make it a bit less ugly.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

I.m not sure that Haines were very successful in their endeavour ! 

• Haha 1