TOWER BRIDGE 5th-12TH june 2010

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Our holiday started with Karen and i leaving home in Dorset on the Friday, and take a drive to Gravesend and see dad and stay the night. The following morning (sat 5th) We went just round the corner to meet up with the rest of the crew, that being my brother Trev (for this tale known as SPRINT ST-TREV) and his partner Maria. SPRINT ST-TREV was still finishing some last second bits and pieces for work which is usual. Once finished we finally got away about 11-00am and our next stop was planned to be a diversion to Loddon for lunch at Rosie Lee`s tea room. First traffic jam at the entrance to the Dartford tunnell, but that did`nt take too long, so we hoped for a trouble free run, which did`nt turn out to be the case. Second traffic jam was at the A127 junction on the M25, but again it was`nt too long. The rest of the journey went without incident, accept for a minor jam just before ipswich. After that it was plain sailing all the way to Loddon and lunch as planned. It seems to be the norm now, that no matter where we pick the boat up, we always stop here for lunch, as it starts the holiday off nicely. and the food and service from Caroine and her staff is always excellent. So after lunch, it was time to head for Acle bridge to get our home for the week. The unfortunate thing was, the weather was lovely and sunny when we set off from Gravesend, but when we arrived in Norfolk, the dreaded clouds started to form. Never mind, we`ll make the best of whatever mother nature throws at us, which is a good job as that`s what she did later in the week. I was decided the trip to Acle bridge should be via Reedham ferry, which is always good as it brings back memories. We arrived at Bridgecraft at 3-30pm, two and a half hours later than i`d planned, but never mind, we had a nice lunch elsewhere on the broads and we always enjoy the journey up, and is always the first part of the holiday. We checked in and were told by the owners Tower bridge is ready and waiting, and so we unloaded the car, and it was all aboard. After unloading, we took the car to Asda`s at Gt Yarmouth to stock up for a few days, and would restock en-route throughout the week. Provisions got (and a few surprises for me on Monday the 7th) and it was back to the boat. We finally got underway at about 6-00pm, and all the madness of the 3RR had disappeared, so it was a short cruise to somewhere for the first night aboard. We bought some disposable bar b que`s and decide to have one that night, so we needed to moor somewhere where we could have one, and decided on Womack water. As we headed up Womack dyke, we noticed the BA moorings at the back of the island only had one boat on them, a Jamaica class from Rihardsons, so it was decided that we would moor there for the night, and we would`nt smoke anybody out with the bar b que, and in fact, the family on the Jamaica had one sparked up themselves. So with skillfull manouvering, SPRINT ST-TREV brought Tower bridge alongside, and we were finally settled for our first night afloat. I sparked up the barb b, and we all sat down to a relaxing first night meal. After all was squared away, it was time to retire to the TV for a while before finally turning in for the night. There`s something magical about your fist night afloat, even though it was to the sound of the patter of raindrops on the cabin top. Who cares?, with a bit of luck, it will disappear overnight, and we would be treated to a beautiful sunny Sunday Broadland morning. Good night all.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Day 2, Sunday 6th June. For some reason, i was having a hard time keeping my eyes open last night, but when we got to bed, i did`nt get a good nights sleep, so i was awake before 6am. I tossed and turned a bit untill i could`nt stand tossing and turning any more, and decided the best thing for me was a nice cup of tea, so on went the kettle. Is`nt it amazing how everybody else seems to wake up when the kettle goes on. A look out of the window to see our first night neighbours on Jamaica are already on their way, and the weather does`nt look bad, not that good, but at least it`s not raining. After the first morning cuppa, everybody is up and the engines running for some hot water for showers etc while under way. We had already decided the previous evening, we would go up to Womack water and moor for a couple of hours to fill up with water, and have breakfast and go into the village for a couple of things we forgot in Asda`s. Swimbo kept trying to get me out of the shop for some reason, which came to light on Monday, and i felt guilty for moaning at her. All provisioned up and it was back to the boat for breakfast and fill up with water. The girls said they would do breakfast while we filled up with water, so we went to the hose only to see the guy who was waiting for it before we went shopping still there and still waiting. It turned out the guy who had the hose was washing his cockpit out and kept the hose on board, and pouring into the broad. So a quick polite "how long are you going to be mate?" gets the reply just give me a minute. So a minute later, i walked back up and said your minutes up mate, people are waiting, and took the hose. So after breakfast, it was time to head to Potter Heigham, and se if we coulf get under the bridge for the first time in 13 years. All the moorings were taken, so we moored in Herbert Woods for a while, and went to Lathams, and then to the bridge pilot to find out if the impossible was in fact possible. YYYEEEEEHHHHHAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH, for the first time in 13 years, we`re actually goping to go under the bridge. We picked up the pilot and he made it look so easy and at full revs. What a star. We must have got under just before all the boats came up in the 3RR as there was`nt much activity on the river, and no crowds. A gentle cruise through the remaining bungalows and chalets saw us drawing past the moorings at Martham boat company, which brought back memories of 35 years previous when we hired one of the Judith class. Looks like there`s some modernisation going on at the yard. On through and past Candle dyke, and a gentle cruise to West Somerton, and although the moorings are now on the opposite bank, the place looks unchanged since we stopped there 20 years previous. After turning round at the head of the river, we decided to head to Hickling pleasure boat dyke for the night. As we tuned up Candle dyke towards Hickling, we noticed the weather was looking more threatening, and then the dreaded rain started to fall, so it was up with the screen and canopy, and then it dawned on us, Tower Bridge does`nt have a screen wiper, and it`s difficult to see the channell marker posts through the wet screen, but we got to hickling without incident. When we arrived at the Pleasureboat dyke, all the moorings were taken, so we headed for Whisperring Reeds boatyard, as they will always allow other hirecraft to moor for the night. That was full too, but with Canada Goose 3 laying alongside, our only choice was to lay alongside her for the night. So after we got moored and the girls started to get dinner ready, SPRINT ST-TREV and i decided to go for a wander. The rain had eased by then, so we had a look around the yard, and up to the Ferryboat dyke to look at the other boats. Is`nt it annoying when you discover the moorings WERE`NT all full, we just could`nt see far enough. Never mind, we were all tucked up for the night, and we were conveniently situated to fill up with water the following morning. Back to the boat, and the girls had dinner almost served, so we were in for the night. The rain started to come down again, and the TV reception was crap, so we decided to watch a DVD before retiring for the night. The strange thing was, i did`nt feel at all tired, and i did`nt really feel like going to bed, but seeing as i was sleeping against the bulkhead, i thought it would`nt be fair on Swimbo to clamber over her while she was safely in the land of nod, so i went anyway. I hope it is`nt raining in the morning. Good night all.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Forgot to say, i have`nt down loaded the photo`s yet, but i will soon, and i`l do a picture gallery at the end of the tale. Regards ................... Neil.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Monday 7th June, It`s my Birthday and i`m 52. We woke up to a dull and overcast morning, and the sound of the kettle going on, nice when someone else does it. Karen wishes me a very happy Birthday and hands me my presents and cards. They somehow all fit on top of the clothes cupboard which is very small. Then SPRINT ST-TREV knocks on the door and enters with tea for two and Birthday wishes, and all`s well, but he and other half Maria have been plotting. When Karen and i get up (a little while later :naughty::naughty::naughty: ), i`m greeted with Happy Birthday banners festooned all over the inside of the boat, where they stay for the rest of the week, so now i know another reason why Karen wanted me to stay in bed. We decided to have a wander around Whispering Reeds Boatyard, and got talking to the owner, who`s a very nice friendly and welcoming lady who offers me the chance to view the boats that are in, but i only look over Hawain Goose, which i`m very impressed with. Plenty of storage space, and an extremely comfortable boat for a couple, SWMBO and i are considering it for next year (amongst others). We filled Tower Bridge with water and were all set to move when another boat came in and blocked us in, so a short wait and they reversed out of the boatdyke and we followed into the open water of Hickling Broad, this time though cloudy, it is dry so the canopy comes down and we`re enjoying the fresh air. The weather is now improving, and we`re enjoying a slow plod down to Potter Heigham as the pilot said to get there between noon and 3-00pm, and as we arrive about 11-30, he`s already bringing a boat through the bridge, and immediately offers his services which we take advantage of, so a swift passage through the bridge it was. With pilot departed, we decide to moor back in Herbert Woods for an hour or so to have lunch and a look at the boats for sale. We wanted a couple of provisions, but there was a massive power failure, and all the shops were in darkness and closed so we went back to the boat for lunch. However, i remember reading on the forum that Andy and Sally B`s boat Evening Star was being lifted out of the water today, so i took a walk over to where they were lifting the boats , but i was too late, she`d already been lifted out and was safely tucked up in the shed. After lunch came another surprise, Karen had bought me a "Top Gear" birthday cake with the Stig on top, so i had to blow out the candles and make a wish. It has`nt come true yet. This then became what we in our family call "compulsory cake", which we all had a piece of, and washed down with a nice cuppa. Time was starting to get on, so it was time to head back down the Thurne and up the Bure, as we are heading for Coltishall for the night. We had a relaxing cruise with the top down, all the way, but stopped off at Summercrafts yard to fill up with water, as there`s no taps at Coltishall. Right, I sincerely hope Jonny`s watching the bridge on the webcam, as we go under, as i`m standing there waving, but could`nt see where it is, but at least i gave you all a wave, even if it was in vaine, and i looked a complete nutcase. I love the Bure above Wroxham, so peaceful and still, with all the trees reflecting in the river, nothing beats that type of scene. We`re followed by a dayboat, which eventually turns back, and another hireboat which tracks us all the way to Coltishall. The weather starts to dull a bit, but at least it`s still dry, and as we approach the common, we pick our mooring place, as there are`nt many boats here this evening, where have they all gone?. We get settled, and get ready to go to the pub for dinner, which is the Rising sun further up in the village, as we`ve been there before, and the food and service wre excellent, and it was the same on this occaision, which was particularly good as it was a celebration, of which we were treated to by SPINT ST-TREV. Many thanks bruv, it was a great meal and very much appreciated. We thought the weather was going to hold out, but sods law kicked in, and just as we leave the pub, down comes the rain. So a wet walk back to the boat finished off what was a very good day. Back on the boat, it was coffee`s all round, and then off to bed. We did`nt care about the rain then, as there`s something, dare i say it, magical about being tucked up in a nice warm dry bed listening to the rain pitter pattering on the cabin top thinking you`re safe and sound, and it can rain as hard as it likes. Good night all.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

You really know how to rub it in Steve :lol::lol::lol::lol: . It`s glorious down here now, and the weather is set to be like this till after the weekend, or so i`ve been told. The fishing lake is definately going to get some action on Friday afternoon Fish2Fish2 . Regards ............ Neil.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Tuesday, June 8th. I woke up early (again), and tossed and turned for about an hour, so decided the kettle beckoned again. While making the morning cuppa for the motley crew, i started looking at the weather, and it looked like it was going to rain, so we decided an immediate trip to the Post office stores behind the pub was the first thing to do, because we got wet enough last night. I find it such a shame when you`re a stranger in town and you`re nice and polite to the local shopkeeper, who`s probably more dependant on your custom than you are for their convenience, and they are little more than rude in reply. We won`t be returning there unless it`s virtually an emergency, so that`s four customers lost. Perhaps they should join the forum and read my footnote. We decided to get underway as soon as possible and head back down river and explore what`s been going on at Wroxham. The cruise down river was very peaceful, passing the old yard of the former Belaugh boats with the Death or Glory from Swallows and Amazons forever tied up on the opposite bank. and with no other traffic, and a diversion into what i think is Bridge broad, though i could be wrong?, it was a very peaceful cruise. What a beautiful spot to mudweight for a few hours fishing. So peaceful and tranquil, yet just five minutes from all the facilities you could ever need. We stopped at the old Le Boat yard for water, then across to the stern on moorings for a couple of hours exploration. We went for a walk over the bridge, watching boats come and go beneath us, and nobody having any trouble. We walked round to the moorings at the old Jack Powels yard, and then to Moore old yard. My god, what on earth has been going on?. We nearly did`nt recognise the place. My most vivid memory of this yard is a Saturday in May 97 when we took over a Merrymore, and we sat in the Basin for a few hours watching Chelsea win the FA cup, and with loud cheers when they scored, it must have scared the neighbours in the cottages, not to mention the boatyard staff. How things have changed now though. People were starting to get hungry now as we had`nt had any breakfast, so it was decided we would go back to the Mill house restaurant by the bridge for brunch. While sitting outside, the rain finally fell, and we all thought it was going to be in for the day, but after a while the rain disappeared, and it started to brighten up, so after looking at some boats for sale, and shopping for some vital provisions, it was back on board and under the bridge. We dicided to head for Stalham, as we all love the Ant, and i wanted to look at some boats. The cruise down the Bure was really nice, but with the top down and screen up to keep the chill of the wind off us. As we turned into the Ant, the sky was mostly patchy cloud, but soon changed with some very evil looking cloud structures heading our way. We decided to leave the top down till the very last minute, which turned out to be nearly all the way to Stalham. The Ant has always been my favourite of all Broads rivers, as it has many different moods. A real mixture of open farmland, tree lined, narrow and twisty, and wide open at Barton, and with excellent quay headed moorings as well as some secretive bankside moorings, there`s something for everyone. The trouble is, in the fishing season, it`s so popular with fishermen, all the little moorings get snapped up very quickly by Richardsons boats full of fishermen, who stay there for a week. But at least this week, being out of season, the river is nice and quiet. As we get further up river, the evil clouds start to look very threatening indeed, and we start to hear strange rumblings in the sky. Yes, it`s thunder. Then just as we reach the northern end of Barton broad, we feel the first spots of rain, so up goes the roof. It does`nt rain hard, but we leave the roof up as we`re nearly at Stalham. When we reach Stalham, we decide to head for the town quay, but if it`s full, we go into Richardsons where there`s always plenty of room, which as it turned out was exactly how it ended up, passing Bobella on the way round. We picked a mooring close to the water tap ready for the morning fill up, and we were safely tied up for the night. That`s when things started to get very interresting, as the rain started to fall quite hard now, and then it got harder, then harder, then harder, with lightning flashes and thunder banging around us, we realised we got there just in time. Somebody up there must like us. It was then when SPRINT ST-TREV remarked "this has got to be the worst wether we`ve ever had up here", and he`s right. It was my turn to cook this evening, so i cooked us all a korma, as SWMBO can`t have anything too spicy (except me of course :naughty: ), as although she likes hot stuff ( :love ), hot stuff is`nt too kind to her. I love cooking on a boat, there`s something cosy about it if you know what i mean. After dinner SPRINT ST-TREV says he and Maria will wash up, so SWIMBO and i can go for a walk, and look at some boats. While coming back from the quay to the yard, we see Dans boat Miss Louisa sitting at her mooring, with Jonny`s Curlew alongside it, so we walked over to have a look at them. Very nice too Dan, and i`m sure she`ll be a real stunner when you`ve finished the inside (thank you Dan, you know what for), and as we stroll along the moorings we notice Sally b sitting there as well. Quite the forum cruising club in Rickos, and all in good company. We have a stroll round to where Ricko`s ex hire boats are all lined up, and i wonder if they could talk, how many tales they could tell. If you totaled up the ages of all the boats, it would be several hundred years, and to see them in such a state is a real sad sight indeed. I felt a few spots of rain again, so SWMBO and i went back to the boat, and we all sat down to a DVD. It was like a winters day outside, but we were tucked up nice and warm. With DVD finished, we were all yawning, so it was bed time again. Goodnight all.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Wednesday June 9th. Awake early again, but seeing as i`m sleeping against the bulkhead, i`d have to climb over SWMBO to get out of bed, so it was lay there and doze a bit longer. I realised why i can`t get comfortable in this cabin, it`s because the double bed is quite narrow, even by boat standards. I hope Clive will be building the beds to a standard double, or larger on the new RC35/45s. When we finally got up, a quick look outside revealed another drab dreary morning, and the staff at Richardsons were busy getting to work. Typical me, i`m always happy to nose around boatyards seeing boats being worked on or even built, so it was nice to see Freedom holiday boatings Buccaneer 44 resplendant in her new paintwork, and in the next shed was the plug for the new RC45 superstucture, and the first hull layed up. I poked my nose through the door, and got chatting to one of the staff, who then offered me a guided tour of the project, which i snapped up immediately. It`s not untill you see this sort of thing that you realise exactly how much work goes into making just a plug for a mould. The devil is in the detail as they say, but this devil is a very very intricate one. I can`t wait to see a finished boat, but better still, if i could afford it, hire one. I said thankyou to a very helpful member of Richardons staff, and went back to the boat where SPRINT ST-TREV was filling the water tank and remarking on how bad the list to port had got, due to the loo tank filling up, so we arranged for a pumpout at the yard. While Trev took the boat round for the pumpout, SWMBO and i walked up to Tesco`s fora paper and some cold remedy`s as by this time my throat was soar and i had the sneezes and sniffles, BUGGER, not exactly what you want to get on holiday. Especially as i did exactly the same thing last year. We got back to the yard, and Tower bridge was not where we left her, so we went round to the pumpout dock and the guy was in mid pump. Pumpout done and £15 paid, and it was time to get going, but where to?. After a brief discussion, it was agree`d that we would head south, which was a pain, as if we decided earlier, we could have had the pumpout done free at our home yard and save the fee. Never mind, a lesson learned, always decide where you`re going before a pumpout. The trip down the Ant was very pleasant as usual, with breakfast on the move, and the weather started to brighten up, so down came the roof, but the wind had an easterly nip to it, so the screen stayed up. As we came through Ludham bridge, i wondered if we could see ex-pilots beauty in the shed having her repairs done, and with one of the shed doors open, there she was, but you could only see the stern. A little further on and we reached the bure, and by this time the sun was actually starting to shine which always makes you feel even better. The cruise down the Bure was straight forward and uneventful, but still enjoyable in the sun, and looking at the tide table in the Broadcaster, we should reach Breydon water just after low water, so we SHOULD be going up with the start of the flood?. Unfortunately, the tides did`nt aggree with the tide table, and we ended up punching the end of the ebb. BUGGER, again. Never mind, it`s a lovely afternoon and by now, the easterly was behind us, so the screen came down, and we totally al-fresco again. Nearing the South Western end of Breydon water, we noticed a Herbert Woods boat anchored OUTSIDE the red posts, and yes, she was well and truly aground, and as it turned out, she`d been there ALL DAY. Apparently, HW`s tug was`nt powerful enough to tow her off, so at 4-00pm, John from Maffetts got a call to go out and tow her off. Guess who`s not going to get an early night tonight?. Our destination for the night was Loddon, so we turned and headed up the Yare, passing Maffett cruisers Titan at her mooring at the Berney Arms, so not far to go to rescue the stranded sailors. The chug up the yare was a bit slow, but the sun was still shining, and as we reached Reedham looking to see if i could see Notorious`s boat with the distinctive red canopy, and Crackerjack at there moorings, it was actually starting to feel a lot warmer. We passed by a bustling Reedham quay, and then on past the ferry which all seemed very quiet and nothing crossing the river. We reached the entrance to the Chet, and had to follow a couple of yachts tied alongside eachother making slow progress up this very narrow river. The chet does have the odd SLIGHTLY wider part, and when we reached these, the yachts had the decency to pull over and waive us through. We were following another boat at the regulation 4mph, and once past the very twisty section of the river, the guy in front just opened her up, and was quickly gone. Where are the river wardens when they`re needed. The rest of the cruise up the Chet was very peaceful, and by now the weather had improved considerably, and was even the hottest day so far. We reached Pye`s mill moorings, and found they were full up with yachts which were probably from a club having a meet (remind anybody of anything?), and were all having a good time. Good job we did`nt want to moor there, as we were heading for the parish staithe, but what if it was full?. I noticed Maffett cruisers basin was empty, so we could always come back and politely request a mooring for the night. As we arrived at the Staithe, there was plenty of room, so with some skillfull control we got moored up in the corner near the gate into the old Aston Boatyard. Once we got tied up and the mudweight down, Trev and i decided to go and rekindle old memories of 40 years previous. It`s amazing that Loddon has changed very little in 40 years, but one thing that had was the ex Aston yard. Looking back at how it was, i think it`s so sad to see it the way it is today. If i won the Euromillions, i`d buy the place and restore it back the way it used to be. After our trip back in time, it was back to the boat, and SWMBO and i went off to say hello to John and Linda at Maffett cruisers. Linda was there, but john was back out on Titan rescuing the stranded Herbert Woods boat. By this time, it was actually getting quite hot and sticky, and we got back to the boat to discover Trev and Maria had started preparing that old family favourite, SPAGBOL. Yeah, no broads holiday would be the same without it. It was a lovely warm evening, and then it started to cloud up, but it was still warm, and we decided to have another bar b qeue the following evening, so a trip to Loddons well respected butcher was planned in the morning. Time always flies when you`re having fun, and when the clock struck ten, it was time for bed. All that sun and fresh air made us all tired. Goodnight all.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Thursday June 10th. We awoke to another drab and dreary morning. Not wet, but dull and overcast with the wind getting up. After everybody got up and dressed, we decided to go to Rosie Leas for breakfast, but it was pretty busy inside, so we went up to the butchers to get some burgers and bangers for the barbie this evening. On the way back, we went into the village store as Rosie`s was still busy, and had a look at the usual nick nacks but only got a paper, but by this time i was getting a little impatient and wanted one of Rosie`s breakies. We walked in and the couple who were occupying a table for four very kindly vacated to a now empty table for two, so it was breakkie time. Rosie`s brekkies are rather nice, and after several cups of tea to wash it down, it was back to the boat and fill her up with water, and off. While we were waiting for breakfast we noticed one of Ricko`s Ideal 45s coming in to moor stern on. What we were told when we got back to Tower Bridge was that one of the crew had infact fell over the stern while they were going astern, and VERY luckily, he did`nt get mauled by the prop or suffer any injuries. We cast off and slowly passed the yards giving Linda at Maffetts a toot and a wave till next year, and slowly passed what boats were left on Pye`s mill moorings, but most had got away early, so an easy cruise with the tide took us gently down the Chet, untill we got to the twisty windy stretch near the mouth where we came across a couple of large express cruisers, one going ahead of us, and the other holding station in an inlet while we both passed by. Very polite indeed, and in 40 years of Broads holidays, i`ve NEVER seen any thing other than broads cruisers on the Chet. Out onto the Yare, and it was turn right and head for Beccles for the night. Passing Reedham, the big express cruisers now had to hold station waiting for the bridge to swing, but not us, we`re in our element, and continue, only to see the bridge swing open right above us. Very impressive i must say. We again passed the marina and saw Crackerjack and Notorious at their moorings, but again, no sign of anybody aboard either. A boring sight befell us, staight down the new cut, and then into the Waveney, and under Somerleyton Bridge, but as we all know, this could`nt swing for us. The cruise up the Waveney was pretty uneventful as the weather was dull and dreary, so we made straight for Beccles. We arrived at the yachtstation in pretty good time , and got moored up, und had a very pleasant walk up to and around the village finishing off with a climb up to the top of the bell tower. Had we have known how this would end up, we would have given it a miss. It all started when we got to the top, and one of the "oddballs" that guided us up there started going on about the mugs they had for sale, and insisted we have a look at them, then he started talking about himself and telling us where he lived, and described his train journey in every intricate detail with every stop. He then finished off (and i`m NOT joking) with a BURP. We all vacated the place as quickly as possible and did`nt stop to look at his mugs. Then it was back to the boat to rest weary feat and have a nice hot cuppa, but using the boats mugs, followed by SWMBO and i taking a quick wander over to see Peters Joy, and Inca. Very nice fellars, very impressed with both of them. Then it was back to the boat, and spark up the barbie, but when we got back, SPRINT ST-TREV had already got it underway. The TV reception was`nt good, so again we settled down to a DVD and bar b que`d bangers and burgers, and i must say, we were`nt disappointed with the butcher at Loddon, no wonder they`ve got a good reputation. With DVD finished, it was getting late, so it was time for bed. Goodnight all.