TOWER BRIDGE 5th-12TH june 2010

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Enjoying the tale Neil, thanks. The butchers in Loddon is rather impressive, we usually manage to spend more than we intend as we can't resist his offerings. We can honestly say that although pricey the fillet steaks are sublime yum yum yum. :grin:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Friday June 11th. we woke up to yet another dull dreary morning, only this time it`s our last day, and we have to head back across Breydon water and up to Acle. We needed to get away pretty soon, as we were going to end up crossing Breydon on the ebb, but would be punching the tide on the lower Bure, so we did`nt want to leave it too late so we are punching the mid tide rush. We filled the water tank and got everything ready to get underway, and i noticed all was not right with one of the boats moored on the opposite quay in front of the harbourmaster`s office. She was stuck high at the stern, having her rubbing strake stuck fast on top of the quay heading. I remember this happening to a boat next to us at Oulton broad yacht station in October 96. When the crew returned about 1-2.00am, they just pushed it off the quay causing a tidal wave that lifted every boat in the yacht station and waking the crews. Not the best way to endear yourselves to strangers, but wholhearted appologies in the morning were well accepted. Meanwhile, back on Tower Bridge, we got underway, with the top still up as it was again spitting with rain, as well as being cold with the wind coming in from the East. The trip down the Waveney was pretty uneventful, with all of us feeling we wanted to stay at least another week. When Waveney river centre came into view, one of the girls asked if we could stop and get some vital last day supplies, so a quick stop was had. We did`nt stop for long, just long enough to go to the shop, and the use of one of the shore toilets. WRC is a nice place with lots of facilities, but i don`t think i`d like to stop there overnight. Back underway, and we`re soon at Somerleyton bridge, but we don`t need it to open, and as we`re following Tower Bridge`s bigger sister ship Westminster Bridge (an Alpha 42) we wait to see if she gets under with the top up, which she does, but only just, so we lower the roof slightly and judge it just right. Next up is St Olaves bridge as we`re on our way to Breydon, but this time the top has to come down, so down it comes. The weather is starting to improve by this time, and we decide the top can stay down but the screen stays up. It`s amazing just how much protection the windscreen alone gives you. By this time, the tide is on the ebb, and we`re making excellent progress, and reach Breydon Water, but later than planned, and we`re going across pretty quick with the tide, and against the wind. I thought there might be a bit of a swell due to weather conditions, but we`re disapointed. Never mind, perhaps there may be some high speed activity from some of the forum members flexing there boats muscles, but no again. It turned out to be a very uneventful chug across, but we`ve made good time. As we turn up the Bure, we realise it`s going to be a hard slog for an hour till we reach the Runham swim area where the tidal influence reduces, and we can pick up a little speed. The rest of the trip to Acle was again uneventful, but the weather had improved considerably, and on the chug upriver we had the screen down to make the most of our last bit of good weather, and decided to carry on to Thurne dyke for a cuppa and a visit to the gift shop at the head of the dyke. The lady in the Gift shop recognised us immediately and said she wondered if we were going to come in this year as we did`nt visit the Broads in 09 so did`nt get to visit then. We never miss a chance to get something there, as she is very friendly and welcoming, and loves to chat. That`s just a small example of what a Broads holiday is all about. SWMBO and i walk round to the other side of the dyke to get a couple of souvenier photo`s of Tower Bridge, and on the way, we spy the man collecting mooring money, so it`s back on board and a slow leasurely chug back down the Bure to the yard to get tidied up and ready for our last night meal at the Bridge inn. It`s always depressing when you`ve had a great time, in spite of the crap weather, and you`re packing everything up ready to go. We`d already booked our table at the Bridge earlier in the week, as recommended by the boatyard, and made our way over the road. We ordered our food, and were expecting something special, as this place always gets rave reviews, but when it arrives, it`s ok, but only ok. Nothing spectacular, but we did get enough chips to sink Tower Bridge. We`ve since been told the Hermatage just up the road is much better. After the meal, it was back on board and almost finish packing. We`re all tired, and unhappy that the week has flown by and the weather has been the worst we`ve ever had on the Broads. But it`ll never put us off, as we love the Broads, the boats, the atmosphere etc, and we`ll always make the best of whatever mother nature throws at us. With nearly all the packing done, it`s time for bed. Good night all.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Saturday 12th June. Typical, just bloody typical, it`s time to go home, and we wake up and get up early to finish cleaning the boat, and do the last bits of packing, and pack up the car, and guess what, yes you`ve guessed it, it`s a lovely bright and sunny morning. With everything squared away, we hand back the bouyancy aids and other bits and pieces, and recieve our check for unused fuel. We`ve used about £90 worth throughout the week, but we`ve covered a lot of miles, and the last few days were spent on the southern rivers, and sometimes punching the stronger tides, so it was only to be expected. While waiting for the engineer to dip the fuel tank, we get talking to the crew leaving London Bridge, and they say they were disappointed at not being able to get under Potter Heigham bridge later in the week, so it was the right decision to go early. At least THAT went in our favour. With SPRINT ST-TREV`s car fully loaded, it`s time to go and get breakfast, so we decide on the cafe above Herbert Woods in Potter Heigham. It`s the last time we`ll see the rivers till next year, so we make the most of it, and enjoy the last little bit of our holiday looking over the river. We decide on the most direct route back to Kent, as SWMBO and i will still have another 2+ hours driving after we get there. As most people will know, the journey home after a boating holiday on the broads is ALWAYS a very sombre affair, and this was no different, especially as today is nice and sunny, and it`s been a mostly miserable week weatherwise. We arrive in Kent in good time, AND swmbo and i transfer our luggage to my car for the rest of our journey to sunny Dorset. We`ve already arranged to see dad for a couple of hours to see if he`s ok, and carry on our journey home. We reached Dorset in good time, and get everything unpacked and into the washing machine, and i cook dinner for SWMBO and i, and at last we`re finally home. At least when SWMBO and i come home, we`re coming home to another beautiful part of the English countryside. So beautiful in fact that while we were on holiday on the Norfolk Broads, a forumite and his good lady from Norwich are staying 4 miles up the road in thier caravan, so i take the oportunity to go up and introduce myself............ Hello Mr+Mrs w44nty, i`m the infamous DAYTON-BILL. I stay for about an hour and a half having a good old chinwag, and wish they were staying longer, so we could all meet up a little later in the week, but Steve informs me they`ve enjoyed the site so much they`re coming back down in the autum. Looking forward to it mr+mrs w44nty. Then it`s time to go home for the last time. It gets to 10pm, and we`ve had a long and tiring day, so it`s off to bed. Our Week on tower bridge is over, Good night all.

Glad you had a good holiday on the Broads,pity about the foul weather whilst you were here.

By the way if I had not told you before,we were on holiday in Dorset at the same time,we stayed about 2 miles from a place called West Moors,it was scorching hot all week,T shirt weather everyday,what a difference a few miles make.

Also whilst I was down in Dorset,i just had to show the locals how to catch fish

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
Glad you had a good holiday on the Broads,pity about the foul weather whilst you were here.

By the way if I had not told you before,we were on holiday in Dorset at the same time,we stayed about 2 miles from a place called West Moors,it was scorching hot all week,T shirt weather everyday,what a difference a few miles make.

Also whilst I was down in Dorset,i just had to show the locals how to catch fish

two gunstwo gunstwo gunstwo gunstwo guns And i used to think you were a nice bloke Steve :lol::lol::lol: .

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Our overall thoughts on our week on Tower Bridge?, We arrived late at the yard and the 3RR was in full swing, and the yard owners and staff were eagerly watching and hoping none of the boats got hit, which i don`t think they did. The owners wife dealt with us, and the welcome was very friendly and polite indeed. We started to transfer the luggage from SPRINT ST-TREV`s car to the boat, and the first thing i notice is the galley has been replaced, and looks much tidier and more modern. We also learn that Tower bridge has a new engine for this season, which we notice when starting the engine, which is instantaneous in the mornings. Just as last time, on our arrivle, there was a welcome tea tray, and a bottle of wine waiting all nicely laid out in the galley. A nice touch which we remembered from before, and one of the reasons for returning to bridgecraft. The boat ran faultlessly ALL week, with no leeks etc in the severe rain. The fwd cabin had plenty of storage space which we liked, but was far too big in reality, and the waste cabin space could have been better utiliused in other ways. The galley as i said was new, and was very long, but i like a big galley, as i like cooking, and so many boats have tiny galleys for catering for large parties. The centre cabin (mine and SWMBO`s) was very cramped for two adults and had a severe lack of storage etc. There was only one cupboard, which did`nt have any shelves, and no wardrobe, so all luggage had to be piled up in this cupboard. It would have been better to put 3 or 4 drawers in the cupboard, or even 2 or 3 shelves in it, but we did`nt like the lack of storage space at all. We had to use the coat locker by the rear door for hanging space. Not very convenient, as was the fact we had to use the drawers under the single berth in the fore cabin, and make sure we had the following days clothes out and ready before SPRINT ST-TREV and MARIA went to bed. again, not at all convenient as we did sometimes forget. The en-suite toliet/shower compartments in both cabins lacked simple things like shelves, and latchable watertight undersink cupboards, which was a shame as there was plenty of space for such things in both compartments. They also did`nt have shower curtains which meant you had to remove everything before you had a shower, and then HANDPUMP the shower tray dry. The centre cabin was also quite dark in daylight hours, so could benefit from extra strategically placed windows. The salloon was very spacious, but some of the space was wasted. The aft hanging locker was triangular and should have been squared out to give more hanging space, and the sideboard and cupboards beside the telly were in my opinion too narrow and lacked shelves. The table was a fixed pedastal type, though large enough (just) would have been better replaced with a drop leaf free standing type which when not in use could be stood to the side and used as a temporary sideboard. While underway, Tower bridge was a joy to handle with the added bonus of a bow thruster, which we found very useful. The down side was that the deisel tank was on the stbd side, the toilet and fresh water tanks were all on the port side. The result was when the fuel tank started to empty throughout the week, and the fresh water and toliet tanks on the opposite side started to fill up throughout the week, the boat developed a very noticeable "list" to port. Why do boat builders NEVER properly plan out the placements of tanks so the boat remains level i shall never know. Any ideas Clive?. Perhaps they should install tanks in the keel. We enjoyed our week on Tower bridge very much, even though the weather was the worst we`ve ever had while on the broads. But with a little bit of updating, and attention to detail in terms of design and planning etc, Tower bridge would be a superb boat. Would we go with Bridgecraft again?, Most definately. Would we hire Tower bridge again, Most definately if there was only 3 in our party. It would be interresting to hire the later built Alpha 35s from Swan craft and Silverline, as their layouts have the higher level centre salloon, giving much larger aft cabins with hopefully more storage space. Regards to all .............. Neil.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Jupes, yes, the weather was crap, but we always make the best of what we get, and it`s the only thing to do. Good to see you enjoyed your trip, and at long last, i can put a face behind the name on quiznight :lol: . I`m having difficulty getting some pictures to download from my camera, but hopefully, i`l get them done pretty soon as i want to do a photo gallery on here. Regards .................. Neil.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

You`d all be forgiven for thinking the 3RR was on when this was taken. The Bure between Acle and Thurne mouth with SPRINT ST-TREV at the helm.

post-1-136713740906_thumb.jpg

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

The mottley crew posing while heading up a quiet and peaceful Womack Dyke for our first night Bar b que. From left to right-

SWMBO, aka Karen my wife

MARIA, SPRINT ST-TREV`s partner (in crime :naughty: )

SPRINT ST-TREV, aka my brother, at the helm.

post-1-13671374093_thumb.jpg

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Our first night mooring at Womack island. We`ve never really thought of mooring here before this year, and to be honest, i wish we`d done so years ago, as it`s really peaceful, and an excellent spot for fishing. Everybody rushes to get to the staithe, but we loved it here, and had no trouble mooring at the staithe the following morning after most hed departed, but only to go to the village, and then it was back on board and away.

post-1-136713741243_thumb.jpg

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

All very healthy stuff. Just what a couple of growing men need after such a hectic cruise :liar:liar . The girls were aboard preparing the salad. I told you it was healthy.

post-1-136713741296_thumb.jpg

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Sunday morning, and all is just as peaceful as the night before. I always find this sort of scene quite magical with the reflections of the trees etc in the water.

post-1-136713741321_thumb.jpg