The Watershed Pub Wroxham

YorkshireAndy

A few years ago , maybe 5or 6 I came with my family and hired a boat from NBD Faircraft at wroxham. On our first evening I walked with my stepdad through the boatyard and found a little pub called I think The Watershed. On three occasion since I have tried and failed to find it again even though Google has it shown on the map. Does it still exist ? Did it ever exist ? Am I going mad ?

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

I was in Wroxham a couple of years ago and the only way I got to that place is that some staff in a boatyard let me through a gate. It is very difficult to find on land and in my experience when I finally got there rather disappointing, the beer was rubbish and the service was take it or leave it attitude.

I tried to get there a few weeks ago to give the place a second chance but failed. I really will not bother in future. Apparently they accept a small number of hire boats at their moorings and do not want private boats which I have. Also, if you moor there and they have a band in the pub which can range from acceptable to downright c**p you are stuck for the night until heavens knows what time listening to what the band want to play!

There are better places to go in Wroxham! Go there! 

You have an uncanny sense of my feelings for the place gancanny. Yep, I much prefer The Kings Head. There may be better pubs elsware but the menu is quite good and especially for us old codgers with the small plates of food. The beer is usually ok too and at a reasonable price considering where the pub is situated. 

1 hour ago, Breydon said:

Also, if you moor there and they have a band in the pub...

I'm one of the old f@rts who still enjoys and plays 'live music', I'll have to have a look, next time I'm in Wroxham. Thank you, for the heads up... :467_guitar::12_slight_smile:

5 hours ago, kingfisher666 said:

I'm one of the old f@rts who still enjoys and plays 'live music', I'll have to have a look, next time I'm in Wroxham. Thank you, for the heads up... :467_guitar::12_slight_smile:

Best of luck finding the place if you can mate. Really I cannot be bothered about the place to even attempt to find it again. I usually moor up upstream of the railway bridge and the Kings Head is the nearest pub.  By the way, I do enjoy live music too such as decent folk music and trad jazz and a very small part of American country music.    

1 hour ago, Breydon said:

Best of luck finding the place if you can mate

It really isn't hard to find. If you check Google Maps it is clearly and accurately marked. Getting to it isn't difficult as it stands on the Peninsula, which is the spit of land on the opposite side of Broads Tours / Faircraft's marina to the main road. In fact you can see the building from the main road, though the signage is on the opposite side. 

You cannot access it from Grange Walk which is the track which runs up the side of Faircraft which leads up to Windboats as there is a gate which is usually closed but you can get to it through Faircraft. Walk between the big boat sheds and the wooden fence, around the edge of the basin and the Watershed is on your right, just before you get to Peninsula Cottages. This is not a right of way but I have never been stopped.

The correct way to approach is along Staitheway Road, which runs off the Avenue so quite a long walk from the bridge, this will bring you to the opposite side of the gate by Windboats and the Peninsula is on the right.

Personally I prefer it to the Kings Head of which I have never been a great fan. It's pleasant enough for a pint by the river on a sunny afternoon but like most Green King pubs it's average. The watershed is far from average, and certainly not to everyone's taste.

I understand Elvis is appearing on Saturday, he really isn't dead, he's playing Wroxham (which perhaps amounts to much the same thing!)

• Haha 3

My personal take on the place ...

Staff, Fine no worries there.

The place itself.  It's a bit of a marmite place. I like it.

The beer.   Sometimes plenty of choice, sometimes not, but I've never 'not found' one I like.

The opening hours... Bloody irritating.  Unless they have changed, they open at 16:00 but I prefer lunch time sessions.

Thanks Howard. Worse than I remember. :(

I rate the Kings head as "not actually unpleasant" and the Wroxham Hotel the same sans "Not actually". Perhaps that's a tad unfair, but it lacks atmosphere and last time I was in, a bit pricey for very average ale..

So, as a lunchtime drinker, it's the Kings head for me.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

The place itself.  It's a bit of a marmite place. I like it.

I can't stand it. It's disgusting. A complete mess and shouldn't still be around. 

And I usually like yeast based stuff

The beer. I've never 'not found' one I like.

I've never found one so bad that I haven't been able to drink a gallon and half of it if push comes to shove anywhere I've been.

I prefer lunch time sessions.

Me too. Gives you much much longer to sink your gallon and a half, and if you're good at it, you can make it 2 gallon

I like the Watershed, but then I can cope with being rammed in a pub with 1500 other people so a small venue like this isn't an issue to me either.

Oh and I like the Kings Head too, a fine pint of San Miguel :default_hiding:

Hi

I visited the Shed for the first time in May. It took me a little while to find until I found the most direct route is through the Faircraft boatyard which as mentioned isn't strictly a right of way therefore its not signposted.

However I was pleasantly surprised, it was a quiet evening with few customers although the staff and locals were friendly, the background music to my taste. The beer although limited in choice was fine, they had a happy hour when my round was due (always good news), a dart board and a pool table which came in handy as I was with friends. More of a 70/80's clubhouse bar than a pub which kinda brought back memories of my original Broads holidays at Broadside Chalet Park Stalham. A refreshing contrast to the Gastropubs which are effectively restaurants and chain pubs both where you rarely get to play darts or pool anymore as they as food sales are more profitable. I would go back.

Neil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One thing I would suggest for anyone crossing Faircraft's yard to access the Shed is to please be respectful to the yard, and to the boats moored some of which might be occupied. Especially when leaving please keep the noise down and refrain from any anti social language or behaviour. It's my opinion that Faircraft tolerate access to the shed through their yard rather than welcome it. Let's not give them any reason to regret, or change that stance. 

I think there have been some pretty accurate comments on the state of Wroxham's watering holes on this thread. None are perfect, each has it's good and bad points. I guess you pays your money and takes your choice. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Aboattime said:

For those of you with lots of pennies ,the shed is for sale and it includes 70 foot of moorings.

If I had lots of pennies I think there would be a number of target acquisitions ahead of the Watershed, and none of them would be licensed!

• Like 1