Where Is This Mooring?

SwanR

I do believe that Chameleon is right although I didn't really know the name of the place myself. I believe that it is Aldeby Hall Farm perhaps? We walked from Beccles Yacht Station along the riverbank last weekend and could see these moorings on the opposite side, not far up from the yacht club. I had thought that there was an honesty box over there and the possibility to moor.

I have to say that it looked delightful and I would certainly pay to moor there overnight.

P1030337.jpeg

P1030339.jpeg

P1030351.jpeg

• Like 4

Annv and Helen you are both correct as described further in the photos I added once Chameleon had answered. They're private moorings but from across the river they looked to be well kept and a peaceful place to stop. There used to be a BA mooring somewhere on that side at one time, a bit further out of Beccles, but I think that disappeared.

I've moored at both Worlingham for lunch and North Cove for overnight. I do love mooring at Beccles itself but love the Waveney and like to spend more than one day on that stretch of river when we've been on the southern side. Some years we've gone from Loddon to Beccles in one day ... and back up again the next day past Reedham and onto somewhere such as Langley Dyke. But I always think that after having survived the New Cut and the faster flowing areas around Somerleyton, I like to spend more than just one day enjoying the Waveney.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, SwanR said:

I do believe that Chameleon is right although I didn't really know the name of the place myself. I believe that it is Aldeby Hall Farm perhaps? We walked from Beccles Yacht Station along the riverbank last weekend and could see these moorings on the opposite side, not far up from the yacht club. I had thought that there was an honesty box over there and the possibility to moor.

I have to say that it looked delightful and I would certainly pay to moor there overnight.

P1030337.jpeg

P1030339.jpeg

P1030351.jpeg

We often stay there Jean.     Excellent mooring with excellent mooring posts , nice and high no fear of overtipping at all.

More important - peaceful.

• Like 1

We saw the marquee as well Ian. And a very artistic looking pile of haystacks! They also had a cannon of some sort which they tested firing while we were walking. I wondered whether it is a licensed wedding venue or maybe they were just going to be having a reception or other celebration there.

The bay is on the other side of what was two Banksmans cottages which were knocked into one, now its been completely redone to a very high standard they even have boat elevators to keep keels clean in the new boat shed,they don't own the mooring, the farm dose, you can walk to the new bridge from their, but there is no footpath as such, only on Suffolk side, this goes from Beccles to oulton broad or catch the on demand ferry at the Waveney River Centre to walk to St Olaves.John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2