Potter Heigham Bridge

Hrimfaxi

I am thinking of the famous Pegasus bridge across the Orne Canal near Caen, which was taken and held by an airborne force on D - Day. Years later, it became an obstruction to the passage of larger ships into the port and so it was demolished and re-erected in a field nearby, as a war memorial. Meantime a new wider bridge was built, which no longer restricts the navigation.

Now there's a thought.

• Like 1

The broads have a large range of views and aspects. Breydon water can be rough, many other areas are tranquil and never so. There are places where there are shops and boatyards. Each area adds to the attraction of the Broads. If every mile were to be the same, I believe that fewer people would be e attracted visit here. Now we have people who hire or purchase boats that cannot visit every area usually  owing to restrictions caused by bridges. Knowing their journeys will be restricted they still hire/purchase these boats, which is perfectly fine and their informed choice. So if we demolish one bridge or other impediment to boating, and take away one aspect of the broads  in order to allow more access, perhaps attention may then turn to other bridges that do the same! Obviously an exaggeration but maybe illustrates emy point? It may be that some know we moor on the quiet side so feel this is a selfish attitude but the bridge is often a nuisance to us, as we always use the pilot (£10 each way) which also restricts the times when we can pass through. I notice that during the  15 mins. It has taken me to tap this into my phone there have been other replies so I hope I am still a little "on topic".

• Like 4

I understand your standpoint John but it's the clearance that has changed. Boats that used to go under with no problem are now frequently unable to do so.

My boat is moored at Hickling. I purchased it from Whispering Reeds boatyard, also on Hickling. but with the lower clearance we now have, it can be 50/50 as to whether I can get under.

If you look at a BA tide table (If I recall correctly), it gives the average clearance as 7' 6". I haven't seen that much for years! Whispering Reeds now only does Day-boats.

Whilst I believe that nothing will be done to change this situation, I still believe it to be a fair gripe. 

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, johnb said:

So if we demolish one bridge or other impediment to boating, and take away one aspect of the broads  in order to allow more access, perhaps attention may then turn to other bridges that do the same! 

I'm always puzzled that it only ever seems to be Wroxham, Potter Heigham and Beccles Old Bridge that seem to be mentioned as the ones that certain boats definitely won't go under when reading the information on hire boats. What about Wayford Bridge, the bridges at Thorpe and on the way into Norwich?

• Like 2

I take your point MM but if some people are correct in their forecasts and the rivers continue to rise then other bridges may then be affected, so as Wayford bridge has been mentioned, which option would be implemented? A new higher bridge or close access to all but the smallest of boats?  And then on to the next barrier??

Well that would probably depend on the reason for the reduced clearance. Climate change for example cannot be blamed on the BA (how ever hard Jenny Morgan tries) Failure to dredge however, can.

It has been suggested that the problems at Potter are down to flood alleviation works. That one is a grey area as to whether the BA (or anyone else) should remedy the situation .

As far as the other bridges are concerned, I am unaware if the clearances have changed as much. If not then I agree with you..

10 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

As far as the other bridges are concerned, I am unaware if the clearances have changed as much. If not then I agree with you..

MM, I think its a general rise in the water levels. If you enlarge this pic of Wroxham bridge taken in August 85 it appears to show a fraction over 8ft.

Apologies for the quality of the pic, the slides had begun to deteriorate before I got the chance to scan them.

519a Wroxham bridge with over 8ft?.jpg

• Like 3

It would presumably be technically possible, although impractical, to build a lock each side of the bridge, then have a step down to pass under and a step back up once clear. No doubt the river bed under the bridge would be dug out to facilitate the lower level between locks.

The first locks on The Broads! It could be a landmark project with a visitor centre with a viewing platform to watch the boats going up and down. £10 each way, the same as for the Pilot now should soon pay for it!

I can't imagine any objections... can you?

(Tongue firmly in cheek... or is it? :default_biggrin: )

Think it's often a balance,our boat which is a Alpha 29 built in 1991 will not get under potter or Wroxham bridges.If you look at the older wooden boats most of them will go under most of not all bridges.If you look at many new boats they are huge,I can see some of the reasoning, the hire companies have to compete for customers, people want tv and all mod cons large beds etc,almost a floating hotel.Someone on Facebook yesterday was moaning that the microwave, one shower was not pushing out hot water etc.Last week we noticed two boats got the engineers out because the TV was not working. For me to be on the broads is always enjoyable. SK does not have any mod cons,like many never tire of the broads even if can't get under some of the bridges.

• Like 1

A easier and cheaper way would be to cut a channel across the road from NBD to old Connourse yard with a Peggas style rolling/lift bridge. Or get a grant from EU to demolish and rebuild using the old stones to clade a new structure with a extra two foot clearance, the bridge has been condemned as not up to spec for a A class road, they were going to do this that's why for many years there was room for a bailey bridge at the side , they then let NBD build their new office complex on the spot of one end of temporary bailey bridge ,now they have to have a ring road around southern side of Wroxham,  possibly better for residence and traffic but not for boats.John

1 hour ago, webntweb said:

MM, I think its a general rise in the water levels. If you enlarge this pic of Wroxham bridge taken in August 85 it appears to show a fraction over 8ft.

Apologies for the quality of the pic, the slides had begun to deteriorate before I got the chance to scan them.

519a Wroxham bridge with over 8ft?.jpg

Bit of restoration for you.

1661888984_941996776_519aWroxhambridgewithover8ft.thumb.jpg.2aafec5659d74ec1c2c3ca6908d660ff2.jpg.030ba7c70e57f2056c21d3ddb0fac803.jpg