Brundall From The Air

DAVIDH

12 minutes ago, VetChugger said:

Another big bonus about Brundall that has yet to be mentioned is Brian Ward's chandlery! Tanya and Nick will always try and source items for you even if they don't stock tham. Great advice as well.

I fully agree a great run family business and all our forum members can get a discount.

Regards

Alan

Betty1, it was a Hubsan H501SS and it was replaced with the same model - so still a H501SS following problems with the original - it became  faulty showing an error message which would not clear on my last Broads trip.
Thank you.i have a drone but want something much better.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

On 22/09/2018 at 10:03, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Ian,

Malcolm was telling us that he had applied for his job when we last at the boat in July, I am sorry to hear that Broom's have given the job to someone else. Malcolm was used to all of the regulars that used the fuel station and the foibles of the said craft.

Regards

Alan

When we returned our Hireboat last Monday (17th Sept) - Malcolm did the usual fuel etc and as i walked into the hut for our refund i as usual said nice to see you etc and the fact you are here year after year...   he said unfortunately that he would be gone this week as he had been unsuccessful in reapplying for his position (his words were not quite as eloquent as that) and that was that basically....

I have been in a similar position some years ago - with the same company for nearly 15 years and more than twice had to apply / be interviewed for a position that i was already in (or very similar to) - usually happens when companies are downsizing and if there are no voluntary redundancies (or the company is not offering a redundancy package) then they are obliged to allow people to apply for other positions within the organisation etc etc - most of the time it is a 'tick box' exercise to keep within various employment laws - but a process has to be followed...

When we moored at Brooms Malcolm was always good for a chat whilst he beavered away on the refuelling and pumpout pontoon. It’s a real shame.

If I remember correctly Malcolm’s predecessor also left under the same circumstances?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Matt said:

When we moored at Brooms Malcolm was always good for a chat whilst he beavered away on the refuelling and pumpout pontoon. It’s a real shame.

If I remember correctly Malcolm’s predecessor also left under the same circumstances?

Hi Matt, 

That was Chris who did the pumps for a number of years, Malcom as well as doing the pumps also did gelcoat repairs and polishing boats, he did ours for a number of years prior to us stopping using their services for our 2017 Winter Service. we were not happy with the 2016 Winter Service at all.

Regards

Alan

Yes, it`s a great shame Malcolm has gone. He was usually the face of Brooms when we took over and returned Lightning. He was always very friendly, and good for a chat, and we`ll definitely miss him.  He was also very helpful where re-fuelling and pumping out Lightning was concerned, by "fitting us in" during a busy turn around day. Now we`ll probably have to wait til all the hire fleet are done, which means it`ll be a late get away.

Thank you.i have a drone but want something much better.

It's worth looking at a used DJI Spark (or even a new one) which seems to be the unloved member of the family because it only shoots 1080p and has a two-axis gimbal.

The video limitation is deliberate of course to protect sales of the higher spec models in the range, but it means that a used Spark in the Fly More combo with extra battery and the (essential) Controller is a bargain on eBay.

You can see the quality of the footage on YouTube, people do a lot with them... Stills are also really pretty good. Not to mention the fact that they're tiny and the DJI app is the best there is.

It's worth looking at a used DJI Spark (or even a new one) which seems to be the unloved member of the family because it only shoots 1080p and has a two-axis gimbal.

The video limitation is deliberate of course to protect sales of the higher spec models in the range, but it means that a used Spark in the Fly More combo with extra battery and the (essential) Controller is a bargain on eBay.

You can see the quality of the footage on YouTube, people do a lot with them... Stills are also really pretty good. Not to mention the fact that they're tiny and the DJI app is the best there is.

Thank you.very useful.

Good to see that the owners at Brooms continue to act in a manner you would expect them to!!

I wonder how often any other Broadland yard would waste everyones time by asking workers to reapply for their jobs?? And there was me thinking that this only applied to those industries/jobs who had too many seat polishers with nothing else better to do than waste money!! I will not name the obvious here but strangely most are public sector!!

Or am I just too old???

• Like 4

Marshman, I suspect that all this "waste of time" is a result of some poorly written or ill thought out, rule somewhere down the line, possibly something to do with equal opportunities.

I would have thought that most small companies would know their existing employees. Interviewing them would show nothing not already known about the person.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

I considered the Spark as it has a good pedigree and the video would be better - though my Hubsan is 1080p. What put me off was that it is so small it would be difficult to see it when it's not that far away. The new regulations say you have to have "line of sight" at all times. Plus, the cost was around 3 x what I paid (around £180). I am reluctant to spend over £500 for a piece of kit which is as prone as any to flyaways (possibly never to be seen again) and where I believe their use will become severely restricted once the present consultation finishes and new rules for flying are adopted. Back to the video quality, yes it would be better as the one I use has a rolling shutter which can cause a slight shimmering effect when moving forward. The still images are unaffected however as you can see from above. Hope this helps.

14 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Matt, 

That was Chris who did the pumps for a number of years, Malcom as well as doing the pumps also did gelcoat repairs and polishing boats, he did ours for a number of years prior to us stopping using their services for our 2017 Winter Service. we were not happy with the 2016 Winter Service at all.

Regards

Alan

The gradual loss of service quality , the increase in prices, plus lack of follow up  to queries was one of the main reasons we moved Thunder North in March. I remember speaking to Malcolm this tine last year when fueling and pumping out  and him  telling us that they would be shutting the fuel jetty earlier and wanting to tell him that at our AGM the following month we would almost certainly be voting to  move. Nothing since has caused us to regret that move.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brooms started to charge for water back in the spring, £2 per fill. There is a sign asking for the money to be ‘put in the box’ when the jetty is closed, so far no box has appeared! One of the guys told us that ‘the boss’ intends to turn the water off overnight but, as yet, that hasn’t happened.  It would be a shame if they did that, early morning or late evening are good times to fill up as the jetty is normally free. 

• Like 1

I don't think Brooms HAVE lost the plot at all - I think it is all very deliberate!

I think it is quite obvious what they want to achieve and every little, or big event like this just persuades me that that it was NEVER their intention to do anything to the yard as such but gradually , but gradually, run it down and then proclaim it is no longer viable at which stage their true intentions will be announced!!

Since it was bought by the vulture capitalists, have they done anything to realistically improve the yard, either for their existing customers, or for the yards ongoing future? And no I do not include in that the building of a hire fleet - I would have preferred to see them continuing to build the type of offering they had before and indeed expanding which was in their early stated intention! No wonder people were extremely cynical of the original move and slowly slowly they will get to the obvious!!!

• Like 4

• 10 months later...
On 22/09/2018 at 09:54, DAVIDH said:

Yes, not  a hotel. I had a meal in the Yare on the Friday evening and had been speaking to one of the staff  who told me originally it was a hotel and showed me a photo of it on one of the walls. All many years ago but it stuck in my mind when typing the descriptions. I first went there in 1973 on our first Broads holiday from Sandersons in Reedham and remember at one time it had a stage and entertainment (a band?). Thought i had been dreaming it but the waitress confirmed it was like that until around 1980 when the present owners took over. Still my most favourite pub on the Broads. 

I spent a lot of my younger years playing above the pub in what was the landlords accomodation.

My childhood friend Martin Long lived above The Yare. In 1977 it changed it's name to The Queen Elizabeth for the Silver Jubilee then back to The Yare in 1978.

I lived in Brundall from the time I was born in 1964 for 47 and a half years I now live in Suffolk........... and I miss my home terribly.

In the late 60's a gentleman by the name of Geoffrey Fisher owned The Yare and believe it or not you weren't allowed in the lounge bar unless the gents had a tie on !!!

My teenage years were spent in the pub, so were my older years and even now from time to time we either drive to Brundall or catch the train from Lowestoft and visit friends who I have known all my life and we meet at The Yare.

The Yare hasn't changed it's decor since 1980, the menu hasn't changed, the toilets haven't changed.......... it's still exactly the same as it was during the start of the 80's !!!

Kind regards

Paul Brown.

(Sid the Postman's son)

• Like 4

6 hours ago, charlie1964 said:

The Yare hasn't changed it's decor since 1980, the menu hasn't changed, the toilets haven't changed.......... it's still exactly the same as it was during the start of the 80's !!!

I don't think the menu's changed that much since then either. Still love the place though. I often wonder though, if they ever take those (willow?) screens fixed to the roof down. They don't look movable and if they aren't they must be caked in dust on top.