Pesticide Control

sailor

https://www.change.org/p/the-prime-minister-rt-hon-theresa-may-mp-ban-all-crop-spraying-of-poisonous-pesticides-near-our-homes-schools-and-playgrounds

Hi,

this is a topic that may be of interest to many of the forum members that have a home or mooring in rural Norfolk

Please see link - Georgina Downs has been campaigning to stop the spraying of pesticides close to homes and schools. She has now started a petition to have the topic put before Parliament.

Kind regards

Richard

1 hour ago, Bob said:

https://www.change.org/p/the-prime-minister-rt-hon-theresa-may-mp-ban-all-crop-spraying-of-poisonous-pesticides-near-our-homes-schools-and-playgrounds

Hi,

this is a topic that may be of interest to many of the forum members that have a home or mooring in rural Norfolk

Please see link - Georgina Downs has been campaigning to stop the spraying of pesticides close to homes and schools. She has now started a petition to have the topic put before Parliament.

Kind regards

Richard

Unfortunately it's the easy and relatively cheap way of controlling weed, vegetation growth and unwanted insect life. Doesn't matter whether it's agriculture or the County Council clearing roadside verges. The usual attitude now is blast it with powerful herbicides or pesticides and then you can forget it. Just like some councils habit of 'chain flailing' roadside hedges in springtime, when birds are nesting, they really don't care about the wider consequences of their actions any more...

It's an unfortunate truth, that many of the 'stewards of the countryside' and the councils place financial considerations, well above those of the health and ecology of our surroundings... :37_disappointed:

16 minutes ago, marshman said:

I really hope that you report the cutting of hedges at the wrong time of year - send it to the Council with photographic evidence including the date.

Councils can not break the law anymore than you or I can.

Thank you 'Marshman', I'll remember that. I don't know if it's the same in Broadland, but where I live that sort of work is sub-contracted out and the quicker they do it, the more money they make. So, the companies tend not to care, when they send their crews out and how it's done, just so long as it gets done and they get paid...  I did hear of a complaint to the council, a while back, about such practices. I believe the outcome was... "It was a misunderstanding of instructions, a mistake and it won't happen again" (until the next time, of course). :37_disappointed: