Marina Quays

Wehlau

Hi Everyone 

Thank you for your supporting replies to our Marina Quays project. You may know there is a Public Meeting being held by the "Objectors" at the Yarmouth and Caister Golf Club on Thursday the 4th of October, if you would like to give us your support by attending it would be greatly appreciated. Or just turn up to help me get out alive!

TIA Terry Everitt

EMS

• Like 5

Hi Terry,  

I`d love to come and support you, but i`m just outside Poole in Dorset, so it would be one hell of a drive. I wish you all the best, and hope everything goes your way, that place has needed someone with a vision to make the place more inviting and successful for a great many years, good luck.

• Like 2

In this 'dash for cash' building frenzy, we're experiencing at the moment, I feel it's going to be very difficult to stop such projects happening. The councils haven't got the money to fight the developers, besides Great Yarmouth, like everywhere else, has probably been issued with a target for new homes to be built. So it's all loaded in the developers favour at the moment.

Having said that, I truly hope you succeed with your objection. Too many of the Broads riverside developments have begun to resemble 'new town' housing estates, over the last thirty or forty years.

28 minutes ago, kingfisher666 said:

In this 'dash for cash' building frenzy, we're experiencing at the moment, I feel it's going to be very difficult to stop such projects happening. The councils haven't got the money to fight the developers, besides Great Yarmouth, like everywhere else, has probably been issued with a target for new homes to be built. So it's all loaded in the developers favour at the moment.

Having said that, I truly hope you succeed with your objection. Too many of the Broads riverside developments have begun to resemble 'new town' housing estates, over the last thirty or forty years.

Kingfisher, the OP is the gentleman behind trying to turn this Broadland disgrace into an amenity. He is fighting a nonsensical objection imho.

On a personal note, I wish you every success Wehlau.

Edited by ChrisB
  • Like 7

Ooops... Should have gone to 'Specsavers', or at least read the original post properly!. :default_blush:

Never the less, I'm still not in favour of any 'dash for cash' development, regardless of the state the area is in at the moment, once the land is gone, it's gone forever. I would prefer an amenity for all, though the chances of that are pretty remote, I must admit. Too many nondescript riverside 'housing estates' around the Broads already (even Great Yarmouth)...

I am fully in favour of the development of this eyesore and wish the development all the very best. This again could be a beautiful area in close proximity to Great Yarmouth, the races and the gateway to the southern broads.

Cant wait to see the development get started and it bringing this area back to life

• Like 2

Now before anyone takes this the wrong way I am 100% in support. The best thing supporters can do is write direct to the planners in support of the application submitted individually. Orchestrated grouped responses should be ignored e.g. a petition with a list of names, signatures etc. under a single statement should at best count as one objection. At worst a rejected planning decision citing it should be appealed against. It is not for an individual to brainwash a bunch of people who won’t comment themselves. Now in my personal experience which is a few years back now in GY the councillors are switched on to this sort of risk and do the right thing. And it’s good luck!

My only caveat would be that if part of the quay is to be for public overnight moorings then they should be manned full time by quay attendants in the same way as GYYS and just as they always were in the days of the Port of Yarmouth Marina. This is a potentially hazardous mooring when the tide is running and the quay is very high above the water at low tide.

That "control tower" building was not there for nothing!

• Like 4

Unfortunately, that caveat would probably make the visitor moorings unworkable! With only 9 visitor moorings at say £13 to match the GYYS charges, that's a revenue of £117 per day, IF full. Take out wages at the minimum, or working wage and its a show stopper. Would also lead to the closure of the visitor moorings over Winter like GYYS if such a caveat were imposed. I support this plan, because it would be nice to see some visitor moorings in Yarmouth open over the Winter.

Just now, Regulo said:

"Elsewhere", Wehlau has stated, "No pontoons I'm afraid but it has been dredged and we are installing riding posts to Provent any catching up at extreme tides". Not sure what that actually means, but might not need an attendant?

If you've seen the Polkey's Mill mooring this has riding posts. Stops the boat going over the quay side when the tode over tops it.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=jL1HBN4V&id=2B4B13CBC40CC33E2147AD13F772EFB84610FACA&thid=OIP.jL1HBN4VdDO3QmJ7Hh9gtQHaE7&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.broadsnet.co.uk%2fimages%2friver-yare%2fcadges-mill-beside-polkeys-mill-moorings-on-the-river-yare.jpg&exph=533&expw=800&q=polkeys+mill+mooring&simid=608046330902348180&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0

32 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

If you've seen the Polkey's Mill mooring this has riding posts. Stops the boat going over the quay side when the tode over tops it.

The problem which concerns me is quite the reverse. It is not the over-riding of the quay : it is the sheer height of the quay. If you are coming in to moor in Yarmouth then it follows that you will have come down river on the falling tide, in either direction.  So how are you going to approach that quay and get a line ashore, if there is not someone there to take it for you and secure it? Are you supposed to climb a ladder?

I am sorry but I can clearly remember the Port of Yarmouth Marina in the short time when it was in full operation and I can also remember that most Blakes yards recommended their customers not to moor there owing to the tidal hazards. Use the GYYS instead.

I am sure we would not  feel that mooring in GYYS could be considered safe unless the quay was manned. So the same thing applies here. If only 9 moorings will not pay for an attendant then maybe this place should not be considered safe for public moorings.

• Like 1

I can see and understand your points Vaughan, but then surely the same goes for The Fisherman's mooring and both The Berney Arms and BA moorings at The Berney? At the right state of tide they are also a real climb up. Some of it must come down to the type of boat and the abilities of the crew. Personally I'm happy completing a single handed mooring at all of the above moorings and actually find a strong tide can be my friend when solo mooring. I much prefer a strong tide to a strong offshore wind when arriving, or a strong onshore wind when departing solo.

I would link a stern and bow rope. Come into the mooring very slowly and use the rudder to move me slowly sideway onto the mooring. I then get a few turns around a post near the bow and step up onto the front cabin roof and then onto the quay. Finish the knot on the front post and as both ropes are linked I also have the back rope to then secure the back. Once two ropes are securely on I will then adjust for rise and fall and set springs.

The point I was making is that there are other such places where it is as hard to moor, with the same height issues and they are not manned, so I don't see that as a reason to reject this application. It may be a reason why some people may not want to moor there, but it shouldn't be a caveat to or reason to reject the application.

There are many people who use their boat all year round, and there are some hirers who hire in the Winter. One who posts on here also transits Breydon during the Winter. GYYS is closed in the Winter, I have long seen that as a safety issue, and I'm not alone on that one, I believe Peter has also expressed similar. I personally have never seen why they feel the need to close the site, rather than just state it is unmanned during the Winter. The addition of a few visitor moorings that are open all year round with or without a quay attendant is a bonus in my mind.

As to safe and inviting, well I don't recall saying that, but surely having some visitor moorings is safer than none in Winter? Inviting, well I've never found Yarmouth inviting full stop, but hopefully this application may improve the whole look and feel of the Marina Quays area and make it more inviting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EastCoastIPA said:

I can see and understand your points Vaughan, but then surely the same goes for The Fisherman's mooring and both The Berney Arms and BA moorings at The Berney? At the right state of tide they are also a real climb up. Some of it must come down to the type of boat and the abilities of the crew. Personally I'm happy completing a single handed mooring at all of the above moorings and actually find a strong tide can be my friend when solo mooring. I much prefer a strong tide to a strong offshore wind when arriving, or a strong onshore wind when departing solo.

I would link a stern and bow rope. Come into the mooring very slowly and use the rudder to move me slowly sideway onto the mooring. I then get a few turns around a post near the bow and step up onto the front cabin roof and then onto the quay. Finish the knot on the front post and as both ropes are linked I also have the back rope to then secure the back. Once two ropes are securely on I will then adjust for rise and fall and set springs.

Sounds good but you are obviously younger and fitter than I and I am sure a lot of others are, not something I would dream of trying or recommending.

Fred

• Like 1

We have and will continue to transit Breydon / GYA in the winter months.  I too have often wished they Ba would leave the moorings open in the winter but with a sign stating something like 'Not Manned'.   Effectively at present during the winter months one cannot stop at GYA due to the moorings being closed.  This is a real pain if you have to wait for the tides / bridges and / or want to visit Yarmouth even just for provisions.  Yarmouth is losing a lot of potential revenue from boaters for 5 x months of the year if not longer due to the moorings being closed.  I agree with EastCoastIPA, there are plenty of other moorings that can be difficult due to state of tides but they are left open, it should be the same for GYA.  Surely it should be the skippers choice whether to attempt a 'difficult' mooring evolution or not.  The hire yards could also make potential winter clients know that the GYA moorings are not manned and extra care should be taken due to heights / flow etc.  I would advise skippers / crews to read their onboard skippers manuals, then employ the tried and tested method of using ones port and stbd lookouts combined with common sense.

As for potential unmanned visitor moorings at Marina Keys - Yes please and I for one will be grateful.

Oh and BTW - Before anyone goes along the lines of         'Yes Griff, but you have the experience / knowledge to cope with it'         -  I would say so do hundreds of others including lots of hire boat skippers

Griff

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The Two advantages at  Mariner Keys is the mooring posts are close together and near the edge and a lot taller than most,easier to throw a rope over without getting of the boat, the other is you don't have a offshore wind to allow for plus any tidal flow tends to push you on to the mooring.Bring it on. John

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, annv said:

The Two advantages at  Mariner Keys is the mooring posts are close together and near the edge and a lot taller than most,easier to throw a rope over without getting of the boat, the other is you don't have a offshore wind to allow for plus any tidal flow tends to push you on to the mooring.Bring it on. John

That is the ploy I use for single handed mooring. Once you throw a loop over the mooring post and secure it on the boat you have everything under control and can sort out the rest of your ropes at your leisure. However if you try this make sure the bows are facing the current and the engine is running, in forward gear and balancing the boat against the current. Doing this, with a little knack you can actually make the boat go sideways.

The fact that riding posts are being installed will make this technique much easier.

8 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

We have and will continue to transit Breydon / GYA in the winter months.  I too have often wished they Ba would leave the moorings open in the winter but with a sign stating something like 'Not Manned'.   Effectively at present during the winter months one cannot stop at GYA due to the moorings being closed.  This is a real pain if you have to wait for the tides / bridges and / or want to visit Yarmouth even just for provisions.  Yarmouth is losing a lot of potential revenue from boaters for 5 x months of the year if not longer due to the moorings being closed.  I agree with EastCoastIPA, there are plenty of other moorings that can be difficult due to state of tides but they are left open, it should be the same for GYA.  Surely it should be the skippers choice whether to attempt a 'difficult' mooring evolution or not.  The hire yards could also make potential winter clients know that the GYA moorings are not manned and extra care should be taken due to heights / flow etc.  I would advise skippers / crews to read their onboard skippers manuals, then employ the tried and tested method of using ones port and stbd lookouts combined with common sense.

As for potential unmanned visitor moorings at Marina Keys - Yes please and I for one will be grateful.

Oh and BTW - Before anyone goes along the lines of         'Yes Griff, but you have the experience / knowledge to cope with it'         -  I would say so do hundreds of others including lots of hire boat skippers

Griff

I have always understood hireboats  are not allowed to cross Breydon in winter by those yards that do hire out.

Fred