Marina Quays

Wehlau

32 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Please excuse me for asking  :default_gbxhmm:  but are we allowed to publish a private communication such as this on open forum?

I recall that I got "hauled over the coals" for posting someone's business phone number, not long ago?

I can understand your concerns but the email with it's redaction by the BA planning department is in the public domain, otherwise I wouldn't have posted it, or have access to it.  

Edited to add that all manner of communication regarding this application can be found on the following link, all of course in the public domain,

https://planning.broads-authority.gov.uk/PublicAccessDocs/planningdocs.aspx?appType=Development Control&appNumber=BA/2018/0312/FUL

Edited by EastCoastIPA

1 hour ago, Maxwellian said:

The link seems to be an official and public source. We also do not have any coals allocated to the Mods, they are all nice and friendly people. :)

no we reserve the barbed wire jackets for errant chairmen and treasurers :default_biggrin:

• Haha 1

This is looking increasingly like something that happened down here in a suburb of Bournemouth.  A local business had several premises in and around the Bournemouth area, and actually owned the premises i`m talking about. When they were in the process of moving into much larger brand new premises encompassing ALL the local units, they applied for outline planning permission to redevelope the buildings into housing. The local planning office refused this on the grounds that the area needed to maintain a prime industrial site. Then, when the business sold the premises, the buyer turned out to be a well known (and VERY wealthy) local property developer (of dubious character), whose sister just happened to work in the local planning department, and successfully achieved planning permission to demolish the industrial unit, and build a housing estate on it.  If a member of the public did that, they would have been in prison for corruption.

It`s amazing what you can do with pots of money, and this Marina Quays issue sounds like the same scenario.

27 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

This is looking increasingly like something that happened down here in a suburb of Bournemouth.  A local business had several premises in and around the Bournemouth area, and actually owned the premises i`m talking about. When they were in the process of moving into much larger brand new premises encompassing ALL the local units, they applied for outline planning permission to redevelope the buildings into housing. The local planning office refused this on the grounds that the area needed to maintain a prime industrial site. Then, when the business sold the premises, the buyer turned out to be a well known (and VERY wealthy) local property developer (of dubious character), whose sister just happened to work in the local planning department, and successfully achieved planning permission to demolish the industrial unit, and build a housing estate on it.  If a member of the public did that, they would have been in prison for corruption.

It`s amazing what you can do with pots of money, and this Marina Quays issue sounds like the same scenario.

To be honest I think the two couldn't be more different! The local planning office, The BA, haven't refused the application. The applicant has pulled the application in the face of strong local public opposition, with a view to putting in an amended application, presumably one that appeases the local opposition.

The BA's own navigation committee had no negative view on the application and saw no reason to oppose it.

My fear here is that the local opposition wins the day, and we are all left with the current eyesore that is marina quays. I cannot find the original advert for the sale of the site, but the asking price was not huge. If the locals were so concerned to see the site improved "sensitively" or just left as it is, then perhaps they should have got together and purchased the site. As it is, the nimby's are in danger of lumbering themselves and us with an eyesore for generations to come.

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

My fear here is that the local opposition wins the day, and we are all left with the current eyesore that is marina quays. I cannot find the original advert for the sale of the site, but the asking price was not huge. If the locals were so concerned to see the site improved "sensitively" or just left as it is, then perhaps they should have got together and purchased the site. As it is, the nimby's are in danger of lumbering themselves and us with an eyesore for generations to come.

Thank you, for that explanation.

41 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

To be honest I think the two couldn't be more different! The local planning office, The BA, haven't refused the application. The applicant has pulled the application in the face of strong local public opposition, with a view to putting in an amended application, presumably one that appeases the local opposition.

The BA's own navigation committee had no negative view on the application and saw no reason to oppose it.

Yes, sorry, i should have made the point re the BA not opposing it. I was referring to any opposition doing so in the hope it goes to someone else known to them, no matter who it is, be they locals, or local authority planning officers etc. 

I just hope once the site owner has done what he/she feels they can to appease the nimbys they dont then come up with a fresh load of twoddle in another endeavour to put the kibosh on it!

I think its commendable the site owner is trying to keep locals happy. 

• Like 5

So having thought about this over night, I think the site owner is missing a trick here!

The moorings already exist and do not need planning permission to be used again as over night visitor moorings. Both the marina quays building and Johnny's Diner could also be refurbished and bought back into use without the need for planning permission.

If I owned that site I would be tempted to reopen the mooring, refurbish the marina quays building and add some decent toilet and shower facilities. Refurbish the diner and reopen serving such stag and hen party staples as kebabs, burgers and fried chicken and chips. Then finish of by buying a couple of mini busses.

With the ever increasing popularity of stag and hen party hire boats on The Broads I would then offer over night fully inclusive mooring packages doing a deal with the larger yards to advertise the package. Each fully inclusive package would allow for up to 24 hrs over night mooring. The delivery of a tray of 24 cans of either bitter, lager or cider to the boat once it has moored up. Fully inclusive free use of the shoreside showers and toilet facilities and an evening takeaway voucher for use at the diner in exchange for a kebab or burger etc to line the stomach, followed by a breakfast voucher which can be exchanged for a bacon roll or breakfast wrap in the morning. Finally include use of the mini bus shuttle to take them to and from the flesh pots of Great Yarmouth seafront. Add on a little gift shop to the marina quays building and you could even stock those last minute tacky party items such as L plates, wedding veils and blow up rubber dolls. Maybe even add a T shirt printing outlet and the parties can do a last minute order for their matching stag or hen party T shirts.

In the height of the season last year it was not unusual to see 30 or so party boats out and about. For many the main destination has to be a night in Yarmouth. If you could contain the majority to one relatively remote mooring away from all the other family boats it has to be a bonus, as well as I think a real money spinner. Saves all the hassle of going for planning permission for a one of short term gain. Once the properties are built and sold there would be no more profit from that part of the site. My idea gives a thriving on going annual business.

2 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Some great ideas there but what about the winter months? Would it close up or do you have an idea that would keep the business ticking over during the cold season?

Maybe a kind of boating gentleman’s club offering happy endings :default_eusa_naughty:

41 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Some great ideas there but what about the winter months? Would it close up or do you have an idea that would keep the business ticking over during the cold season?

Well according to the locals there is a very popular footpath through the site, so perhaps keep the diner open serving hot drinks and snacks for the walkers and users of the nearby park? Keep some of the visitor moorings open for those folk that do use their boat over the Winter, plus keep a water hose on and the pump out open. Take on a bit of boat servicing, there are some fishing boats that moor in Yarmouth. It would be a mainly seasonal business, but with a few bits to help tide them over through the Winter.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/11/2018 at 14:54, vanessan said:

Offer winter moorings to those who liveaboard?

18 hours ago, vanessan said:

Presumably you mean continuous cruisers? Do you think many of them would want to pay for moorings, I have my doubts. 

We did meet some this year who I do think would have paid for a winter mooring. Contrary to popular belief not all of the liveaboard continuous cruisers on the Broads live on ramshackle ready to sink wrecks. We met some very nice people on some very nice boats.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cal said:

We did meet some this year who I do think would have paid for a winter mooring. Contrary to popular belief not all of the liveaboard continuous cruisers on the Broads live on ramshackle ready to sink wrecks. We met some very nice people on some very nice boats.

I don’t think that is ‘popular belief’. By its very nature, a cruiser that is continuously moving about needs to be in reasonably good nick surely? You seem to be under the impression that my comment was derogatory which it most certainly was not. Continuous cruisers generally move about because that’s how they want to live although there will no doubt be some whose finances may not allow them to pay for permanent moorings. Even if there are liveaboards who would appreciate permanent winter moorings, I doubt there would be sufficient to keep a marina ticking over so it needs more ideas.